Minnesota Vikings Defensive Line:

Ozzy

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/03/some-interesting-details-in-vikings-dt-sheldon-richardsons-new-contract/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0bmvjbgzb7Ob2L2aD2vVy3pEG13yUKuRT9AWLEWjL-2j-aK9bYJ0IqVik

The surprising thing about this article is the talk that Minnesota is could go with more of a 3/4 than a 4/3?  Why would they do that, honestly that LB group is pretty weak and unless Barr could be an edge rusher, which would be great not sure they have the guys to do it.  That or Chaz is awesome on the edge and they play Barr and Chaz on the outside and Kendricks and Smith on the inside.  I think there is little chance Lynch, Elliss, Borland make the team at all, maybe Dye and Surratt, even Vigil I am not totally sold on or Connelly who I like but again more of a ILB.  

OLB Barr, Connelly, Blake Lynch, Christian Elliss
ILB Kendricks, Cameron Smith, Tuf Borland
OLB Nick Vigil, Troy Dye, Chaz Surratt

Not sure the 3/4 OLB talk unless then again maybe they consider Danielle a OLB, then could look like this?

OLB Danielle Hunter
DE Tomlinson
NT Pierce
DE Richardson
OLB Barr
ILB Kendricks
ILB Cameron Smith/Vigil/Connelly

I guess that I would not hate honestly, would be strange but who knows could change things up.  Ultimately matters if Pierce is indeed that good or not, not sure he is and he could play DE and maybe Tomlinson is the NT.  Will see how it goes and if they do change things up a bit, but with so many decent DL out there, and the DL group is better than the LB group not sure why one would switch to a 3/4 defense.

• Like 1

You’re likely going to see plenty of different fronts this year, but Zimmer isn’t changing the core structure of his defense. This is still going to be a defense founded in 4-3, but they have the personnel to throw out wrinkles and different looks during the game. 

Don’t be surprised if we see a good amount of 5-2 defensive looks. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

You’re likely going to see plenty of different fronts this year, but Zimmer isn’t changing the core structure of his defense. This is still going to be a defense founded in 4-3, but they have the personnel to throw out wrinkles and different looks during the game. 

Don’t be surprised if we see a good amount of 5-2 defensive looks. 

5-2? I think it would be more likely to see a 3-3-5 look in the pass happy NFL.  Not sure one would see much 5 down defensive lineman in the NFL today and only 4 DBs and 2 LBs.  Could see a ton of 4-2-5 also with Barr and Kendricks being the only two LBs and with Breeland/Alexander would be hard to keep them both off the field.  But sure they will change it up, just seems odd to me for anyone to mention a 3/4 with the Vikings currently personnel, mind you I always would have loved to see Barr more of a pass rushing role but doubt that happens with all the new ends they brought in.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

5-2? I think it would be more likely to see a 3-3-5 look in the pass happy NFL.  Not sure one would see much 5 down defensive lineman in the NFL today and only 4 DBs and 2 LBs.  Could see a ton of 4-2-5 also with Barr and Kendricks being the only two LBs and with Breeland/Alexander would be hard to keep them both off the field.  But sure they will change it up, just seems odd to me for anyone to mention a 3/4 with the Vikings currently personnel, mind you I always would have loved to see Barr more of a pass rushing role but doubt that happens with all the new ends they brought in.

It's too bad they don't have a legit LB/S for that 3-3-5 that could roam around and matchup man or different zone based on the offensive looks.  I always wanted Jayron Kearse to do something like that  but he seemed to be in the doghouse.

48 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

It's too bad they don't have a legit LB/S for that 3-3-5 that could roam around and matchup man or different zone based on the offensive looks.  I always wanted Jayron Kearse to do something like that  but he seemed to be in the doghouse.

Chaz Surratt has decent range but not sure he could play safety but is pretty athletic for a linebacker.  And Barr/Kendricks are both two of the better coverage linebackers in the NFL, Kendricks has really improved his deep coverage I think and Barr always has been solid in coverage.  I just think they will want to get Peterson, Breeland and Alexander all on the field all at the same time, and if not then Gladney if he can play this year and Dantzler, Hand, Boyd or Bynum.  If they can get enough pass rush with the line I think they absolutely could play a lot more nickel.  3-3-5 could be a little extreme considering not sure putting 3 LBs out there is the best things to do unless one is considered a pass rusher half the time, if not then a 4-2-5 nickel makes more sense.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Chaz Surratt has decent range but not sure he could play safety but is pretty athletic for a linebacker.  And Barr/Kendricks are both two of the better coverage linebackers in the NFL, Kendricks has really improved his deep coverage I think and Barr always has been solid in coverage.  I just think they will want to get Peterson, Breeland and Alexander all on the field all at the same time, and if not then Gladney if he can play this year and Dantzler, Hand, Boyd or Bynum.  If they can get enough pass rush with the line I think they absolutely could play a lot more nickel.  3-3-5 could be a little extreme considering not sure putting 3 LBs out there is the best things to do unless one is considered a pass rusher half the time, if not then a 4-2-5 nickel makes more sense.  

Agreed.   Most combos probably come on the DL with early down vs passing downs being major differences.  Weatherly-Tomlinson/Richardson-Pierce- Hunter early and rotate in Wonnum and Richardson (Twyman 😇 hopefully when he's healthy) for passing downs.

Vikings defensive line last year was 30th in pass rush win rate at 36%.

Vikings defensive line last year was 32nd in run stop win rate at 24%.

Not a huge surprise with Ngakoue at one end spot who had no interest in stopping the run and Odenigbo at the other end spot who was over matched and obviously better as a situation pass rusher on the inside.  Did seem better when Ngakoue was traded but not by much.  Not to mention not Danielle Hunter one of the best pure DEs in the NFL out obviously and no Pierce a solid run stopper brought in.  

Stephen out to the Broncos, Odenigbo out to the Giants, Jaleel Johnson out to the Texans, Ngakoue out to Baltimore.  

The changes should matter a lot and they have improvements across the board at every DL spot now.  Still those stats on the DL were terrible last year but not a huge surprise.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 1:44 PM, viking said:

I'm really feeling the Vikings signing Justin Houston. He can be a great DE 2 to Danielle.

We're all hyped about Wonnum / Jones and Robinson but my gut says they all need a year until they ball out. 

I have absolutely no interest in Justin Houston.  

19 minutes ago, viking said:

How come? He's played great the last 2 years for the colts 

He's 32 years old and I'm much more interested in developing the younger players than bringing in an old player to take away snaps from them.  I'm also slightly biased, because I never cared for him as a player here in KC.  He was okay, but always have felt he was overrated.    

Twyman waived with NFI designation. Move made to clear roster spot for Westbrook.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/26/vikings-waive-jaylen-twyman/

"If Twyman is not claimed on waivers, he will revert to Minnesota’s non-football injury list. He will not be able to play this season, but the team will retain his rights for the 2022 season."

Hopefully he clears waivers. Might not be a bad thing if he can workout and learn the system for a year before stepping in next year? I was excited to see him play so that is a bummer.

14 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Twyman waived with NFI designation. Move made to clear roster spot for Westbrook.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/26/vikings-waive-jaylen-twyman/

"If Twyman is not claimed on waivers, he will revert to Minnesota’s non-football injury list. He will not be able to play this season, but the team will retain his rights for the 2022 season."

Hopefully he clears waivers. Might not be a bad thing if he can workout and learn the system for a year before stepping in next year? I was excited to see him play so that is a bummer.

I'd be surprised if anyone claimed him on waivers.  It probably would have been difficult for him to make the final 53 anyway, so this may be a sort of blessing for him, as terrible as that may sound.  The only problem is that he won't get to practice at all, so he will lose a year of development.

But, I'm also not sure that's exactly accurate as other sources have indicated that he's actually only officially going to be out 8 games and can practice after 6.

Edited by swede700