Minnesota Vikings Defensive Line:

Ozzy

yeah with pierce, tomlinson and richardson it really doesn't leave a lot of room for the developmental DTs on the roster. this is probably the best move for him.

he almost definitely will clear waivers, he didn't play last season, got shot four times a month ago and was last recorded being 30 pounds overweight. going on the NFI list gives him time to fully heal from his shot wounds (and not rush back to try to make the roster) and gives him more time to get in shape, because he probably needs more than five months to get his ideal physique after gaining 30 pounds. 

my guess is he'll likely be out the entire year and put on the practice squad when he's eligible to come off the NFI. i'm not sure what the exact process there is but i feel pretty confident another team won't add him to their active roster so really the vikings have as much time as they want before adding him to the 53.

• Like 2

No offense to Weatherly and hopefully he does well this year but Justin Houston just signed a 1 year deal for $2.075 mil with Baltimore.  Weatherly signed a 1 year deal worth $2.5 mil.  I would rather have Houston who is clearly the better pass rusher, Weatherly is well rounded but Houston even though he is old has juice off the edge and should do great with the Ravens who need a pass rusher on the edge.  Dude had 8 sacks last year, 11 the year before and 9 the year before that, how he got such a small contract I have no idea.

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

No offense to Weatherly and hopefully he does well this year but Justin Houston just signed a 1 year deal for $2.075 mil with Baltimore.  Weatherly signed a 1 year deal worth $2.5 mil.  I would rather have Houston who is clearly the better pass rusher, Weatherly is well rounded but Houston even though he is old has juice off the edge and should do great with the Ravens who need a pass rusher on the edge.  Dude had 8 sacks last year, 11 the year before and 9 the year before that, how he got such a small contract I have no idea.

He had better offers he choose less money to play for the Ravens who've been a successful team.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well they brought him back, kind of a surprise I would have thought they would let the young guys fight it out and get more time.  I guess not so much but lucky for them they put Robinson on IR so they can keep him and same with Twyman and even Scott who is also on IR.  Curious what they do with Hercules who played well the last game, same with Jayln Holmes who played like he is about to lose his job, could be too little too late.  

DE Danielle Hunter/ DJ Wonnum / Hercules Mata'afa
DT Michael Pierce / Sheldon Richardson 
DT Dalvin Tomlinson/ Armon Watts 
DE Stephen Weatherly/ Everson Griffen/ Patrick Jones II 

Already cut:  Jordan Brailford
Potentially cut: Jalyn Holmes

IR: Janarius Robinson / Jaylen Twyman / Jordon Scott

Potential Practice Squad:  James Lynch / Kenny Willekes  

Ideally they could keep 9-10 DL, I would not mind Hercules or Lynch on the active roster but who knows.  Griffen totally takes it up a notch, not sure they get rid of Weatherly though because he is better against the run but nice to have Griffen's motor and energy back.  One hell of a unit potentially if those young guys ball out.  Seriously though if Robinson does not get "hurt" no way Griffen is signed but that does open a spot with him out of the active lineup.  

Interesting press conference, best part is apparently the Vikings brought in a world renowned Doctor to speak to the team about vaccinations and brought up the point apparently that the Vikings players are role models to the community and examples to young adults and kids, and if they do not get vaccinated it might be sending the wrong message to society in general.  Good to give the guys information but not sure it will change that many minds.  If the Falcons can be 100% vaccinated it clearly is not that hard to do...  Interesting point he brought up, babies that breast feed apparently get some of the vaccine through the mothers milk if she is vaccinated, word to the wise.  

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

"I left because I thought the grass was greener on the other side, to be honest, and it wasn't," Griffen said. "Going to Dallas, going to Detroit, the grass wasn't greener. I didn't get the love that I got here with the fans, with the coaches, with the players and the grass wasn't greener. I learned I'm back home and I'm happy to be home. I should have stayed last year, to be honest. Where people love me, where the fans love me, where you guys love me. I should have stayed but I worked hard. I made sure that I was productive enough. I should have stayed but I'm happy to be back."

Quote from Griffen about coming back, is pretty interesting.  See if he can be yet another spark for that defense and maybe as a group they can accomplish something special.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

So Lynch isn't making the team, most think?

I’d say no, but that’s based solely on the observation that we haven’t really seen him stand out in the two preseason games. However, Zimmer did mention him specifically as someone who has had a good training camp and practices.

If the Vikings do keep 10 defensive linemen, which they did last year, I’d have to think that’s he’s the front runner for the final spot. 

Everson Griffen in 10 years in the NFL has 80.5 sacks which is pretty solid, sure is only ranked 113th on the all time sack list but that is around other players like Jevon Kearse, James Harrison, Clay Matthews, Patrick Kerney, Osi Umenyiora, Robert Quinn and LaRoi Glover each are either 10-20 notches above or below him.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d say no, but that’s based solely on the observation that we haven’t really seen him stand out in the two preseason games. However, Zimmer did mention him specifically as someone who has had a good training camp and practices.

If the Vikings do keep 10 defensive linemen, which they did last year, I’d have to think that’s he’s the front runner for the final spot. 

Yeah I could see that if they like how Lynch plays, not sure why he did not get action last preseason game, was he hurt?  Backup DT might be better than backup DE in Hercules but Hercules did play well against the Colts and so did Holmes but both know they are fighting for their job.  Also sucks Scott got hurt and Robinson but is a great way to keep them around and on the roster without having to cut them technically.