Matts Rant after being banned for 3 months

Matts4313

1. I liked our draft for the most part and am glad we didnt go DB in round 1. Our DL is atrocious and we invested heavily into it.

2. We are running a 3-4 under as our base, though in truth nickle will be our base. So that said, everyone needs to familiarize themselves with this:

EOL72-ZUcAA-Upx?format=png&name=medium

4. Dan Quinns media day was really impressive. 

4. Kelvin Joseph is the most boom or bust prospect I can remember outside of Jaylon Smith. 

5. Its clear that Quinn ran our draft and he is somehow related to Al Davis. Speed and length was the modus operandi. 

6. We have a big fat guy that we drafted. And we have a smaller version who plays like a big fat guy that we drafted. Thank the lord!  

7. Anyone who still thinks Jerry is flying solo is dumb. Our team and its "look" is vastly different than under Garrett. No more drafting only choir boys. Lets see if it pays off or blows up in our face.

8. Draft grades are stupid this year. Those are normally a byproduct of group think, which didnt happen in 2020. 

9. Dak deal. OMG. Yes I waited this long. I am trying to keep it calm. But DAK EFFING DEAL!

10. I did #4 twice as a throwback to HT. Now go have some tea. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

1. I liked our draft for the most part and am glad we didnt go DB in round 1. Our DL is atrocious and we invested heavily into it.

Ok, but you realize these aren't mutually exclusive and Rounds 3-7 wouldn't have gone all that differently after Surtain/Horn at 10? They always planned to attack the DL with numbers (in FA and the draft), never really made sense to take one in the first with this year's crop.

Glad you're back and that there's a four month moratorium on Dak talk. Good luck sticking around when that ends.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

2. We are running a 3-4 under as our base, though in truth nickle will be our base. So that said, everyone needs to familiarize themselves with this:

EOL72-ZUcAA-Upx?format=png&name=medium

Focusing on this since it's been a topic of interest. I was thinking it might be a 4-3 under but I suppose it's semantic.

Based on the alignments and keys/techniques listed here, maybe something like this would be our first-team "base" defense?

4-tech- Lawrence

NT- Urban

3-tech- Hill

"Will"/LEO- Gregory

Sam- Jaylon

Ted- LVE

Mike- Parsons

Neal, Gallimore, Cox and Osa when they're ready, etc. mixing in. Just not sure about Urban as a true nose or Lawrence playing over/inside the tackle, doesn't seem like the best use of either of them. But this won't be our most used look, nickel seems more straightforward outside of which 2 LBs will play (which will change over the year). Any comments/disagreements?

• Like 1

I look at it this way: as long as we run a scheme that the players buy into and put some effort into, we should be better. The last few years have been a mesh of poor coaching, poor scheme, and a blatant lack of interest to play, specifically on the d-line. The (well deserved) near mutiny against Nolan last season was indicative of that.

• Like 1