Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We had a 2020 Baker thread, and that turned out pretty well.  We'll have plenty of Baker talk, I'm sure, so let's start with this freshly-vaccinated thread.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I think 10th best is his absolute floor after this season (barring injury). I think national media is sleeping on him because of three coaches and four coordinators in three seasons. Set the rookie touchdown record with HUE JACKSON as the HC. Looked amazing 2nd half of the season last year. Has multiple playoff games experience under his belt now. With how good our supporting cast is, I think the national discourse this time next year will be Baker in the top 8 or so (Mahomes, Rodgers, Herbert, Prescott, Russ, Baker, Josh Allen).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact of the matter on is this

If we get the Mayfield of the last 7 games we should get home field advantage in the playoffs. 

Plus beat whoever the nfc trots out for the playoffs. 

The offense is going to benefit from

Improved defense. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t really care what number Q3 they think he is

With this o line I’d rather lead the league in rushing than out this on Baker right now

maybe in like 3 years I’m hoping he’s guaranteed top 6

but right now it’s about the team playing to their potential 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

He looks in great shape at least. I think we will pass slightly more this year than last. 

Agreed.

Without looking at the numbers, it feels like we were a pretty balanced offense during the second half of the season. I think Stefanski and company just didn't want to put too much on Baker's plate at the start of the season until he became more comfortable with the scheme.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Agreed.

Without looking at the numbers, it feels like we were a pretty balanced offense during the second half of the season. I think Stefanski and company just didn't want to put too much on Baker's plate at the start of the season until he became more comfortable with the scheme.

Teams also improved defending vs the roll out. We will either have to protect it differently or use it less. Our running game is also heavily dependent on the oline and defense we are facing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we see the continued development and consistency out of Baker that we expect, this is a big-time year for this team. This might be as good of an opportunity as we are going to have to make a championship run if you look at the way this roster has come together. 2021 and should be an exciting year for this team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

eams also improved defending vs the roll out. We will either have to protect it differently or use it less.

you improve the roll out by improving the rushing attack. There were times in the 2nd half of the season that they got away from rushing the ball, so teams stopped worrying about that. More so with play calling to improve. There are only a few ways you can scheme to block for roll out. If a teams wants to blitz back side, right where Baker is rolling too because they arent worry about the run, you cant stop that, or stop if a DE is going to slant hard

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, buno67 said:

you improve the roll out by improving the rushing attack. There were times in the 2nd half of the season that they got away from rushing the ball, so teams stopped worrying about that. More so with play calling to improve. There are only a few ways you can scheme to block for roll out. If a teams wants to blitz back side, right where Baker is rolling too because they arent worry about the run, you cant stop that, or stop if a DE is going to slant hard

Pitt was sometimes sending two. One at the back and one at the qb.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DawgX said:

Agreed.

Without looking at the numbers, it feels like we were a pretty balanced offense during the second half of the season. I think Stefanski and company just didn't want to put too much on Baker's plate at the start of the season until he became more comfortable with the scheme.

But how much is too much. The identity is pound the rock with Chubb/Hunt to set up the pass. I dont think it will be in the best interest of the team to start becoming too pass heavy. I like it right where it was at during the 2nd half of the season

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

But how much is too much. The identity is pound the rock with Chubb/Hunt to set up the pass. I dont think it will be in the best interest of the team to start becoming too pass heavy. I like it right where it was at during the 2nd half of the season

For the most part the running game dictated everything. If it was working it would be 60-65% run. If it wasn't working then it would be 65-70% pass. If you are good at both aspects of the game it doesn't really matter what mindset you go into the season with or even a particular game. You go with what works that day. It's a great spot to be in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Pitt was sometimes sending two. One at the back and one at the qb.

if that was the issue, you need to be sending a back or TE where those blitzers were coming from.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2021 at 3:09 PM, brownie man said:

I don’t really care what number Q3 they think he is

With this o line I’d rather lead the league in rushing than out this on Baker right now

maybe in like 3 years I’m hoping he’s guaranteed top 6

but right now it’s about the team playing to their potential 

A big part of the team playing to their potential starts with the play of the QB. Especially once you get to around Week 6

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...