2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

Honestly, I think 10th best is his absolute floor after this season (barring injury). I think national media is sleeping on him because of three coaches and four coordinators in three seasons. Set the rookie touchdown record with HUE JACKSON as the HC. Looked amazing 2nd half of the season last year. Has multiple playoff games experience under his belt now. With how good our supporting cast is, I think the national discourse this time next year will be Baker in the top 8 or so (Mahomes, Rodgers, Herbert, Prescott, Russ, Baker, Josh Allen).

• Like 2

The fact of the matter on is this

If we get the Mayfield of the last 7 games we should get home field advantage in the playoffs. 

Plus beat whoever the nfc trots out for the playoffs. 

The offense is going to benefit from

Improved defense. 

• Like 2

I don’t really care what number Q3 they think he is

With this o line I’d rather lead the league in rushing than out this on Baker right now

maybe in like 3 years I’m hoping he’s guaranteed top 6

but right now it’s about the team playing to their potential 

37 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

He looks in great shape at least. I think we will pass slightly more this year than last. 

Agreed.

Without looking at the numbers, it feels like we were a pretty balanced offense during the second half of the season. I think Stefanski and company just didn't want to put too much on Baker's plate at the start of the season until he became more comfortable with the scheme.

29 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Agreed.

Without looking at the numbers, it feels like we were a pretty balanced offense during the second half of the season. I think Stefanski and company just didn't want to put too much on Baker's plate at the start of the season until he became more comfortable with the scheme.

Teams also improved defending vs the roll out. We will either have to protect it differently or use it less. Our running game is also heavily dependent on the oline and defense we are facing. 

If we see the continued development and consistency out of Baker that we expect, this is a big-time year for this team. This might be as good of an opportunity as we are going to have to make a championship run if you look at the way this roster has come together. 2021 and should be an exciting year for this team.

5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

eams also improved defending vs the roll out. We will either have to protect it differently or use it less.

you improve the roll out by improving the rushing attack. There were times in the 2nd half of the season that they got away from rushing the ball, so teams stopped worrying about that. More so with play calling to improve. There are only a few ways you can scheme to block for roll out. If a teams wants to blitz back side, right where Baker is rolling too because they arent worry about the run, you cant stop that, or stop if a DE is going to slant hard

21 minutes ago, buno67 said:

you improve the roll out by improving the rushing attack. There were times in the 2nd half of the season that they got away from rushing the ball, so teams stopped worrying about that. More so with play calling to improve. There are only a few ways you can scheme to block for roll out. If a teams wants to blitz back side, right where Baker is rolling too because they arent worry about the run, you cant stop that, or stop if a DE is going to slant hard

Pitt was sometimes sending two. One at the back and one at the qb.

18 hours ago, DawgX said:

Agreed.

But how much is too much. The identity is pound the rock with Chubb/Hunt to set up the pass. I dont think it will be in the best interest of the team to start becoming too pass heavy. I like it right where it was at during the 2nd half of the season

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

But how much is too much. The identity is pound the rock with Chubb/Hunt to set up the pass. I dont think it will be in the best interest of the team to start becoming too pass heavy. I like it right where it was at during the 2nd half of the season

For the most part the running game dictated everything. If it was working it would be 60-65% run. If it wasn't working then it would be 65-70% pass. If you are good at both aspects of the game it doesn't really matter what mindset you go into the season with or even a particular game. You go with what works that day. It's a great spot to be in.

On 5/19/2021 at 3:09 PM, brownie man said:

I don’t really care what number Q3 they think he is

With this o line I’d rather lead the league in rushing than out this on Baker right now

maybe in like 3 years I’m hoping he’s guaranteed top 6

but right now it’s about the team playing to their potential 

A big part of the team playing to their potential starts with the play of the QB. Especially once you get to around Week 6