2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

29 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

One of the reasons we should have shut Baker down is that his habits got worse. Iits easier to regress a habit than it is to progress it. 

He got more accustomed to playing under extra stress. He will have to unlearn that

Yeah, I can agree with this.

Playing through pain is one thing, but when you’re in pain and trying to compensate other ways ans it’s impacting lower body mechanics and whatnot, maybe it’s time to take a rest.

And to be clear, I think the lower body injuries were every bit as big of an issue as the shoulder.

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

He had a rating of 100 or more in 4 of his first 7 games in 2020. He had 15 of his 26 TD passes in the first 7 games. The offense scored over 30 points in 5 of the 7 games.

He had a rating of 97 or better in 6 of the first 8 games in 2021.

I'm pretty sure we were dead last in yards after the catch in 2020. Bryant and Njoku struggled, Hooper was okay. OBJ didn't do anything. Landry and Higgins were Landry and Higgins. DPJ had 14 catches. It's just that our defense was terrible and we had to address that side of the ball. No one thought we had anything close to a probowl receiver, we just couldn't put many resources on that side side of the ball.

how come you say MaYfield is all the problems then say draft wide receivers 1 and 2

30 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, I can agree with this.

Playing through pain is one thing, but when you’re in pain and trying to compensate other ways ans it’s impacting lower body mechanics and whatnot, maybe it’s time to take a rest.

And to be clear, I think the lower body injuries were every bit as big of an issue as the shoulder.

excellent thought just remember a injured leg =bad footwork.

27 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

excellent thought just remember a injured leg =bad footwork.

I get that, that’s why I’m saying if he was too injured to manage basic drop backs he maybe shouldn’t have been playing.

I appreciate his toughness, but the HC needs to see that stuff and sit a player if they can’t do basic stuff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get that, that’s why I’m saying if he was too injured to manage basic drop backs he maybe shouldn’t have been playing.

I appreciate his toughness, but the HC needs to see that stuff and sit a player if they can’t do basic stuff.

Mostly apperant roll out right throw back left.

Nothing wrong with going with your best .

5 hours ago, bruceb said:

He should have learned all of that by now.

I wonder what goes through his mind as he watches Brady carve up other teams' Ds?

Yeah, frankly it sucks watching guys like Joe Burrow out there already looking night and day from what we have not just from a physical end but mechanically and mentally. Not good enough, what we are getting. He’s not making even the layup throws as far as ball placement, and I pray that the reason is injury but fear there are much more serious issues than just that. It’s maddening, we are through year 4, whether it’s him, past coaching, whatever, he should be further along then this. We went into the season saying that he was out of excuses, this was the year to see what he was. As it turned out, he did have some legitimate excuses, playing injured. But I’m not sure we really saw anything positive as far as his development, and that just sucks. Meanwhile guys like Joey B and Justin Herbert are running laps around him. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 3

If we saw elite ball placement, pre-snap processing, manipulation of the pocket, and checks to the right plays, sure, let’s draw a similar path to success that people like to point to with Drew Brees. 

What we continue to see though is ball placement that does not hit people in stride, consistent overthrows, not reading where the pressure is coming from leading to him curling up in a ball and getting sacked, locking onto targets, batted passes due to staring down guys, bad interceptions, and failure to deliver down the homestretch of games. What we are seeing as a bad passing game to go with the advantage of a good run game. Shame on the receivers we have given him as well. I don’t care about his height, there are guys that have traits that can work around that. But he’s not showing those traits, so his weaknesses are being exposed where others are not. 

Year five man, no excuses, regardless of injury. He has not been nearly successful enough to earn the benefit of the doubt at this point. Sure hope he puts in a full off-season and becomes a more polished player.

• Like 2

Baker needs another year. Does it look great? No, but what else are we gonna do? It makes the most sense to give him another year given the list of alternatives.

Give him some weapons, bring in Trubisky as a backup, and go after someone else in 2023 if he continues to suck.

I do love Malik Willis tho. He intrigues the hell out of me. 

• Like 2