2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

That definitely explains a lot. My thing is it must not be too bad with the way he runs around with the ball

My best guess is the harness is the main problem. I remember when Josh Allen hurt his non throwing shoulder and he went through a rough stretch because the harness was causing him to sail the ball. Baker's footwork is still good, but his accuracy is going to be off until the harness is gone or he learns to throw with it

I think he'll be alright, there is just so much magnification on his last game because it was so bad

He's the type of dude who would get that arm amputated and still go out Sunday and try to win. We gotta understand that he is special in that regard and that bad game could be a good turning point for him because he can't accept anything less than perfection

• Like 2

Hot Take:

I'd re-sign Baker NOW, and get myself a steal for a 3-5 year window, capitalizing on his poor play stemming from a shoulder injury, understanding that even if we get "this Baker" for that time (we won't, he's better than that), we have our proverbial trailer hitched to him anyway, and it's likely I get high level play out of him going forward when healthy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Hot Take:

I'd re-sign Baker NOW, and get myself a steal for a 3-5 year window, capitalizing on his poor play stemming from a shoulder injury, understanding that even if we get "this Baker" for that time (we won't, he's better than that), we have our proverbial trailer hitched to him anyway, and it's likely I get high level play out of him going forward when healthy.

Andrew Berry licking his lips.

Bakers a dude who is always going to bet on himself. Also if the owners and fans think the Browns are getting a bargain there’s a pretty good chance he does as well.

I would be a proponent of him sitting and resting for a few weeks but I’m not really sure how much help that will help him. A torn labrum typically is going to require a procedure either way, and I’m not sure a few weeks of rest would help. So you might as well just keep playing him otherwise you are as well off just having surgery and icing him for the season, which isn’t really an option if he is able to play.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

And this is also why you have a grizzled, yet still effective veteran Case Keenum as your back up that you are paying $6M this season

Time for Stefanski to look Baker right in the eyes and tell him that he loves his work ethic and his attitude, but he is hurt. We need him for the bulk of the season.  Sit him this week when you can exploit the Chargers' lower level rushing defense.

See how it feels next week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

Bakers a dude who is always going to bet on himself. Also if the owners and fans think the Browns are getting a bargain there’s a pretty good chance he does as well.

I would be a proponent of him sitting and resting for a few weeks but I’m not really sure how much help that will do you. A torn labrum typically is going to require a procedure either way, and I’m not sure a few weeks of rest would help. So you might as well just keep playing him otherwise you are as well off just having surgery and icing him for the season, which isn’t really an option if he is able to play.

Most likely this is not something that is going to be substantially better from resting a few weeks, it will most likely need surgery to be completely healed, at this point it comes down to pain management and if baker feels he can go (which he is never going to say he cant go) 

4 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

And this is also why you have a grizzled, yet still effective veteran Case Keenum as your back up that you are paying $6M this season

Time for Stefanski to look Baker right in the eyes and tell him that he loves his work ethic and his attitude, but he is hurt. We need him for the bulk of the season.  Sit him this week when you can exploit the Chargers' lower level rushing defense.

See how it feels next week.

There would have to be a real benefit from sitting though. As it isnt an injury that heals quickly, sitting might not help. An interesting question would be what does surgery do. Can we cut out loose cartlidge and then sit 8 weeks and get back into it? 

He is then ready for the playoffs, we just have to get there without him.

59 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

REALLY disappointing and completely unsurprising. He's going to be a roller-coaster this year if he can't figure out how to play through it. This is exactly why you don't make a tackle like that if you're a QB.

Yeah I'm not a doctor, but I had the suspicion popping your shoulder out with no harm/damage done was probably unrealistic.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

That definitely explains a lot. My thing is it must not be too bad with the way he runs around with the ball

My best guess is the harness is the main problem. I remember when Josh Allen hurt his non throwing shoulder and he went through a rough stretch because the harness was causing him to sail the ball. Baker's footwork is still good, but his accuracy is going to be off until the harness is gone or he learns to throw with it

I think he'll be alright, there is just so much magnification on his last game because it was so bad

So Josh Allen also wore a shoulder brace/harness last year when he suffered a AC joint sprain:

Before the injury: 105/148 (70% completion percentage), 1,326 yards, 12 TDs, 1 INT (should not have counted), 83 rush yards, 3 rush TDs.

After the injury: 81/129 (62% completion percentage), 846 yards, 4 TDs, 4 INTs, 144 rush yards, 1 rush TD.

Interesting perspective from Matt Hasselback on shoulder injuries:

On Sunday morning, ESPN’s former Seahawks QB, Matt Hasselbeck, provided some interesting information to the audience. Hasselbeck informed everyone that he suffered the same injury in his career and that it affected his ability to play and accuracy. He stated, “You don’t feel like yourself … this injury causes you to miss throws high.” (Talking about a shoulder injury he had in his non throwing shoulder )

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

Sit him for a while and fire up the rest of the team to keep us in it this season.

I don’t think a few weeks would Help that kind of injury. Its more so a few months. He has to learn to throw with it or he has to sit for awhile 

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

So Josh Allen also wore a shoulder brace/harness last year when he suffered a AC joint sprain:

Before the injury: 105/148 (70% completion percentage), 1,326 yards, 12 TDs, 1 INT (should not have counted), 83 rush yards, 3 rush TDs.

After the injury: 81/129 (62% completion percentage), 846 yards, 4 TDs, 4 INTs, 144 rush yards, 1 rush TD.

Interesting perspective from Matt Hasselback on shoulder injuries:

On Sunday morning, ESPN’s former Seahawks QB, Matt Hasselbeck, provided some interesting information to the audience. Hasselbeck informed everyone that he suffered the same injury in his career and that it affected his ability to play and accuracy. He stated, “You don’t feel like yourself … this injury causes you to miss throws high.” (Talking about a shoulder injury he had in his non throwing shoulder )

This is a really good breakdown. I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy but that data supports that the brace is a hindrance. It's also sketchy because as a QB one of the last things you want to do is miss high