2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

So Josh Allen also wore a shoulder brace/harness last year when he suffered a AC joint sprain:

Before the injury: 105/148 (70% completion percentage), 1,326 yards, 12 TDs, 1 INT (should not have counted), 83 rush yards, 3 rush TDs.

After the injury: 81/129 (62% completion percentage), 846 yards, 4 TDs, 4 INTs, 144 rush yards, 1 rush TD.

Interesting perspective from Matt Hasselback on shoulder injuries:

On Sunday morning, ESPN’s former Seahawks QB, Matt Hasselbeck, provided some interesting information to the audience. Hasselbeck informed everyone that he suffered the same injury in his career and that it affected his ability to play and accuracy. He stated, “You don’t feel like yourself … this injury causes you to miss throws high.” (Talking about a shoulder injury he had in his non throwing shoulder )

I have a bad shoulder. I can sit at my desk and work just fine. 

Baker sucks if he isn't winning the MVP and winning multiple super bowls this year

- All fans who hate Baker

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JDD said:

I have a bad shoulder. I can sit at my desk and work just fine. 

Baker sucks if he isn't winning the MVP and winning multiple super bowls this year

- All fans who hate Baker

Would Burt Reynolds let a bad shoulder stop him from leading his team to victory against the guards? I don't think so.

• Like 1

If Baker must have surgery or even if not, this could be a problem for the Browns in that the injury was not disclosed to my knowledge.

We all know teams like to skirt around the injury report but things like this have cost teams draft picks in the past, especially when the player or agent leak that there was a significant injury while the team never reports the injury.

Ian Rappaport mistyped the word "was" when he said Baker "was listed on the injury report" because to my knowledge Baker has not been on the injury report in any capacity even the day after the game unless Cleveland beat reporters have posted the injury report it incorrectly.

NFL rules state, “If any player has a significant or noteworthy injury, it must be listed on the practice report." To protect Baker's value, this seems like something his agent leaked or a family member in the know. Any good agent doing their job would do the same. I highly doubt Baker would himself as that would be exposing the organization to league office disciplinary action.

It also brings into question what the team knew when they reportedly tried to sign Brett Rypien from the Broncos practice squad two days after the Bear game.

A shoulder can't pop out unless some part of the structure is partially torn. "Partially torn" is such an amorphous term that could refer to various degrees of shoulder discomfort. People can get low end "partially torn" labrums from sleeping in a bad position at night. It's impossible to know what the severity is from the outside looking in except to know that the game impact means it's not great.

----

Now, what must be done?

I've had labrum tears and partial labrum tears in both shoulders before. A partial labrum tear is not going to heal itself anytime soon. He's going to have to be out 3 months for it to heal on its own. Surgery in some cases can cut the time down some.

Depending on the severity, a harness can fix the mobility/stability up to around 90% depending on the person's biology but then there's the pain element which can be alleviated via pain shot or pain meds.

If Baker's out there, he just can't play as poorly as he did in the Vikings game. If it's effecting him that much the team has to sit him down and let Case Keenum play.

Before the Vikings game, Baker's biggest issues were he's 3 wide open misses against Kansas City on the final 3 drives. Now, with this injury one can chalk those up to bad plays in the pressure moments, but hold onto the belief that Baker would correct those issues in future games.

One can't say how much it is or should effect his throwing, but what one can say for sure is that the shoulder was not responsible for all the missed throws and missed reads in the Vikings game. 

Ultimately, the team has to sit Baker down and let the shoulder heal if he can't play at a higher level. If they do that, Baker's contract potential at season's end takes a massive hit which is likely what he's trying to avoid.

Edited by Empire Lies

16 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I don’t think a few weeks would Help that kind of injury. Its more so a few months. He has to learn to throw with it or he has to sit for awhile 

This 

1 minute ago, Empire Lies said:

I've had labrum tears and partial labrum tears in both shoulders before. A partial labrum tear is not going to heal itself anytime soon. He's going to have to be out 3 months for it to heal on its own. Surgery in some cases can cut the time down some.

Depending on the severity, a harness can fix the mobility/stability up to around 90% depending on the person's biology but then there's the pain element which can be alleviated via pain shot or pain meds.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Empire Lies said:

If Baker must have surgery or even if not, this could be a problem for the Browns in that the injury was not disclosed to my knowledge.

We all know teams like to skirt around the injury report but things like this have cost teams draft picks in the past, especially when the player or agent leak that there was a significant injury while the team never reports the injury.

Ian Rappaport mistyped the word "was" when he said Baker "was listed on the injury report" because to my knowledge Baker has not been on the injury report in any capacity even the day after the game unless Cleveland beat reporters have posted the injury report it incorrectly.

NFL rules state, “If any player has a significant or noteworthy injury, it must be listed on the practice report." To protect Baker's value, this seems like something his agent leaked or a family member in the know. Any good agent doing their job would do the same. I highly doubt Baker would himself as that would be exposing the organization to league office disciplinary action.

It also brings into question what the team knew when they reportedly tried to sign Brett Rypien from the Broncos practice squad two days after the Bear game.

A shoulder can't pop out unless some part of the structure is partially torn. "Partially torn" is such an amorphous term that could refer to various degrees of shoulder discomfort. People can get low end "partially torn" labrums from sleeping in a bad position at night. It's impossible to know what the severity is from the outside looking in except to know that the game impact means it's not great.

----

Now, what must be done?

If Baker's out there, he just can't play as poorly as he did in the Vikings game. If it's effecting him that much the team has to sit him down and let Case Keenum play.

Before the Vikings game, Baker's biggest issues were he's 3 wide open misses against Kansas City on the final 3 drives. Now, with this injury one can chalk those up to bad plays in the pressure moments, but hold onto the belief that Baker would correct those issues in future games.

One can't say how much it is or should effect his throwing, but what one can say for sure is that the shoulder was not responsible for all the missed throws and missed reads in the Vikings game. 

Ultimately, the team has to sit Baker down and let the shoulder heal if he can't play at a higher level. If they do that, Baker's contract potential at season's end takes a massive hit which is likely what he's trying to avoid.

You are a joke ANYBODY CAN GOOGLE and it says 4 to 6 weeks.

Where were you when he was completing 90 percent of his passes

Baker mayfield floor is a playoff winning qb

Tied for 1st place.

• Like 5

Just now, mtmmike said:

Tied for 1st place.

america burn GIF

Mike show the people of the forum some mercy. You're dominance is on par with Genghis Khan

• Like 3

The harness is there to make sure his shoulder doesn't pop out of place again, given the structural damage. So, highly unlikely that he's able to play without it, unless he wants to REALLY risk things. At this point, it's a race to the off-season for him and then surgery ASAP. The recovery timetable, so long as it's JUST the labrum, will actually not be very long.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The harness is there to make sure his shoulder doesn't pop out of place again, given the structural damage. So, highly unlikely that he's able to play without it, unless he wants to REALLY risk things. At this point, it's a race to the off-season for him and then surgery ASAP. The recovery timetable, so long as it's JUST the labrum, will actually not be very long.

The only blessing is it wasnt his throwing shoulder. The only thing is it happened early in the season, so now he can adjust and learn to throw with the brace. Yeah as long as he wears the brace he won’t cause any further damage to it

13 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Tied for 1st place.

It's a 6-8 week recovery after surgery. 

The reality we dont know the extent of the injury, some can be benign, and dont need intervention, others do.

Best case is that its inflammation and the shoulder is fine without surgery. 

Worst case he doesnt recovery without surgery and the injury progresses with the stress of the nfl.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

america burn GIF

Mike show the people of the forum some mercy. You're dominance is on par with Genghis Khan

Sorry but he gets under my skin

He is 1 game away from being a top 7 qb

So I am suppose to be nice when every single qb drafted would have us in last place.

Another point he has a higher qb ranking then Lamar,Rodgers,and Roethlisberger. 

• Like 1