2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Baker is right and also going to get fined. DPJ and Higgins were BOTH interfered with on that 2nd down call that 2nd to last series. A first down there, and it's game over.

Maybe that’s what’s required?

Bosa complained about officials, got fined and it worked out wonderfully the next week.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe that’s what’s required?

Bosa complained about officials, got fined and it worked out wonderfully the next week.

100% agreed. Look at it as an investment as opposed to money lost.

An illegal contact penalty on a throwaway in the pocket extended a drive, resulted in a TD vs. us.

A BAD holding call cost us points.

A TERRIBLE DPI led to a TD.

TWO missed calls cost us points/first down(s) and the game at the end.

The penalties called discrepancy was nothing short of shameful...and that 4th down DPI was called on their sideline, as was the illegal contact penalty. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

100% agreed. Look at it as an investment as opposed to money lost.

An illegal contact penalty on a throwaway in the pocket extended a drive, resulted in a TD vs. us.

A BAD holding call cost us points.

A TERRIBLE DPI led to a TD.

TWO missed calls cost us points/first down(s) and the game at the end.

The penalties called discrepancy was nothing short of shameful...and that 4th down DPI was called on their sideline, as was the illegal contact penalty. 

I just hate the bailout calls.

Like, I know people here wanted DPI on Njoku on the Hail Mary, but there’s zero chance I’d ever make that call as an official.  Feet get tangled in a crowd, it happens. 

On a 4th down and essentially the game on the line, you can’t reward a team for just heaving one up and hoping for the best.  Make the play or don’t.

And honestly it just ruins what was otherwise a really great game by both teams.  It was a fun one to watch.  If it was called reasonably clean and we had lost, I’d have been fine with it, but it just makes it seem like the game was given to them.

• Like 3

The fourth down pass interference was just a clear and obvious example of the refs just looking at themselves and thinking “oh crap that’s a turnover on downs if we don’t throw flag.” They weren’t just believing their eyes, because nothing visual would lead a rational person to throw an interference flag, at least on the defense there. Completely absurd and the type of play that changes a game and outcome. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

THIS

It's my biggest gripe with DPI as a spot foul as well, not to mention the automatic first down portion. So, if it's 4th and 7, and you throw a 3 yard route that's contested with maybe some grabbing, you give that an automatic first down? That's a joke. That fourth down DPI, aside from being egregious, is an absolute bail out.

Like, I know people here wanted DPI on Njoku on the Hail Mary, but there’s zero chance I’d ever make that call as an official.  Feet get tangled in a crowd, it happens. 

100% agreed

On a 4th down and essentially the game on the line, you can’t reward a team for just heaving one up and hoping for the best.  Make the play or don’t.

It won Joe Flacco a Super Bowl, and it was shameful

And honestly it just ruins what was otherwise a really great game by both teams.  It was a fun one to watch.  If it was called reasonably clean and we had lost, I’d have been fine with it, but it just makes it seem like the game was given to them.

Yep. The fact that you can win the turnover battle, rush for over 200 yards, score 6 TD, and lose shows how slanted the officiating and penalties were, not to mention the 4th Down defense/lack thereof.

I had no gripes about losing the Baltimore game last year, whereas I'm still super chapped about this one. I don't feel as though the Chargers "made plays" down the stretch that warranted them winning, but were rather gifted bogus extra opportunities to convert.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I had no gripes about losing the Baltimore game last year, whereas I'm still super chapped about this one. I don't feel as though the Chargers "made plays" down the stretch that warranted them winning, but were rather gifted bogus extra opportunities to convert.

that’s exactly what it is, an extra possession. It’s no different that a fumble or pick tbh.

And holding calls are probably worth half a turnover tbh. They absolutely kill drives.  Obviously you have to call egregious stuff (or don’t when Myles is getting held), but swallow your whistle on the rest of it. Nobody tunes in to see an officiating exhibition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Yep. The fact that you can win the turnover battle, rush for over 200 yards, score 6 TD, and lose shows how slanted the officiating and penalties were, not to mention the 4th Down defense/lack thereof.

This is what I was thinking.....Football dictates that we say things like...we cant let it come down to the Ref's...and other cliche's and such.

A win is a win and the Chargers have by right, the right to celebrate.

But lets look at facts, based on the first paragraph....something HAS to be a fluke by HISTORY sake. This is the ONLY time in NFL HISTORY that a team has done that and LOST a game. So it in the 1000's of game played in NFL history and something happened that NEVER has happened before, then there has to be some sort of factor that falls outside of the rules of the game to allow causation for something like that.....

The Ref's GIFT WRAPPED that game for the Chargers. That was the PURESET for of home cooking I've seen in the NFL this entire SEASON.....

• Like 1

Really indicative here about what's been going on between Baker and Odell.

Browns got the ball after LA's kicker gifted them the lead by missing the extra point. Imo this was the most critical drive of the game for them and they went 3 & out...just serving up the win to LA because their defense was 100% not stopping the Chargers offense, which needed only a FG.

1st & 10 was a dive right that Nwosu and Covington stuffed for no gain.

Here was 2nd and 10...

Not sure if #11 Peoples-Jones up top is the 1st read but that's where Baker looks...and looks. He's then late to OBJ on this pivot slant that's wide open and potentially a 1st down on yac with proper timing. So he then lobs it to a helplessly covered Higgins, who can't bail him out with a tough catch. Baker thought James had a dpi there...idk.

..3rd & 10 was a draw with Hunt.

It's always something like this between these two. Whether it's timing, or an errant pass, or a drop. OBJ is 8 yrs in and has had the lower leg injuries, but he's still in great shape. Baker just cannot see him right, and it was a liability in a big game like this.

*posted this in the general thread.

My question in here is..Is OBJ supposed to be Baker's first read on this play?

Edited by BrownLeader

47 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

My question in here is..Is OBJ supposed to be Baker's first read on this play?

As you can see, DPJ is the first read, and he's interfered with 9 yards downfield on the out and up route at the top of the screen.

Baker comes off of this, and by the time he sees OBJ (running an inverted pig route/short double move), he sees the safety flying downhill and driving on the inside breaking route at 8 yards.

So, he looks to his third option (Higgins), who is also interfered with by James, who clearly arrives early (take a look at the 6 second mark).

On 10/11/2021 at 12:53 PM, MarkPrice25 said:

Baker is a good QB. He's not elite and never will be. But give him a supporting cast and he'll be top 12-ish for most of his prime years. I believe that if Eli Manning can win 2 rings, Baker can win at least 1.

To those who don't see it with Baker, I get it, but he's our guy for the foreseeable future. I just don't see any feasible obviously better option to replace him, barring a one-in-a-billion crazy Tom Brady mid to late round pick scenario.

hot-mad.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaWg_LB. said:

The Ref's GIFT WRAPPED that game for the Chargers. That was the PURESET for of home cooking I've seen in the NFL this entire SEASON.....

After watching that 2nd Down play our 2nd to last series, and how DPJ had blatant illegal contact on him and Derwin James tackled Hollywood to boot, it's hard not to get VERY upset in culmination with everything else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The 4th down interference against us is the only call/non-call I really care about for this game.  Calls like that just feel like they're being made for ratings.  If you can't differentiate who is making contact, don't penalize anybody.  If there is being great defense played, don't just call a penalty.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 1