2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

24 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

The 4th down interference against us is the only call/non-call I really care about for this game.  Calls like that just feel like they're being made for ratings.  If you can't differentiate who is making contact, don't penalize anybody.  If there is being great defense played, don't just call a penalty.

I thought the holding call on Tretter was bad.  It was another one where the more egregious action was a hands to the face no call on the DL.

The play on second down where Higgins was hit early and DPJ was knocked out of bounds should have drawn a couple flags tbh, especially after the ticky tacky nonsense they’d already called. Like, the game has to be called consistently.  

If they wanted to let them play and not call anything, fine.  If they’re gonna call minor ish, call it both ways.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Baker hasnt lost games when we have scored 40, our defense has. 

I was hate listening to Cowherd in the car after lunch today. He said that proved Baker can't win when he has to throw the ball. How does that guy make millions of dollars talking sports? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I thought the holding call on Tretter was bad.  It was another one where the more egregious action was a hands to the face no call on the DL.

The play on second down where Higgins was hit early and DPJ was knocked out of bounds should have drawn a couple flags tbh, especially after the ticky tacky nonsense they’d already called. Like, the game has to be called consistently.

Home cooking was going on in that game. I think they are really pushing for SD to be good since the stands are filling up with away team fans each week. Get them good and make it seem like a good thing. 

I don't usually buy into the refs screwed us but come on, those were some of the worst flags I've seen in a long time going only 1 way. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I forgot about Tretter.

I feel like the best way for the refs to cover their *** is just to err on the side of not calling penalties. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JDD said:

I don't usually buy into the refs screwed us but come on, those were some of the worst flags I've seen in a long time going only 1 way. 

same, I literally never buy the tin hat stuff.  Don’t on this either tbh, but it’s hard to fault someone for thinking it about Sunday.

49 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I forgot about Tretter.

I feel like the best way for the refs to cover their *** is just to err on the side of not calling penalties. 

Yeah.  If it’s blatant throw the flag, sure.

But I’m not calling PI for hand checking, holding on OL unless they tackle the linemen, hands to the face unless you’re grabbing, etc.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

As you can see, DPJ is the first read, and he's interfered with 9 yards downfield on the out and up route at the top of the screen.

Baker comes off of this, and by the time he sees OBJ (running an inverted pig route/short double move), he sees the safety flying downhill and driving on the inside breaking route at 8 yards.

So, he looks to his third option (Higgins), who is also interfered with by James, who clearly arrives early (take a look at the 6 second mark).

eh...not seeing dpi on either from the tv view but maybe on the coaches.

From the timing of the play I'd say Odell is 1 and DPJ is 2. Higgins looks like a clear out for that pivot/pig. He does pump that out and up and obviously wants that but is it read #1....idk.

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

same, I literally never buy the tin hat stuff.  Don’t on this either tbh, but it’s hard to fault someone for thinking it about Sunday.

Though we had a chance to win this game 3 times before that drive. KS and staff need to stop dropping back into 2nd gear when the offense is humming along. 

14 minutes ago, JDD said:

Though we had a chance to win this game 3 times before that drive. KS and staff need to stop dropping back into 2nd gear when the offense is humming along. 

Domt be the smartest guy in the room all the time too, sometimes take the 3, pass on 3rd and long

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

eh...not seeing dpi on either from the tv view but maybe on the coaches.

It's blatant illegal contact on DPJ on the right side top, as contact occurs at 9 yards with the QB in the pocket.

From the timing of the play I'd say Odell is 1 and DPJ is 2.

OBJ wasn't out of his route yet while Baker is looking at DPJ. From the clip, it's clear that Baker looks first at DPJ, then looks back across the field just as OBJ is finishing his double move route, and then gets to his third progression in Higgins.

Higgins looks like a clear out for that pivot/pig. He does pump that out and up and obviously wants that but is it read #1....idk.

It's the #1 read with a backside levels concept.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

It's blatant illegal contact on DPJ on the right side top, as contact occurs at 9 yards with the QB in the pocket.

OBJ wasn't out of his route yet while Baker is looking at DPJ. From the clip, it's clear that Baker looks first at DPJ, then looks back across the field just as OBJ is finishing his double move route, and then gets to his third progression in Higgins.

It's the #1 read with a backside levels concept.

Off the coaches tape, I think DPJ was the best decision there whether that's read #1 or not. But he doesn't run a great route. As it was Baker still could have thrown it though. The contact there is more ticky tack imo and isn't enough to legit draw a foul. Now if DPJ runs the route crisper, then i think the contact would have been more blatant and for sure drawn a flag.

If OBJ got the ball with ideal timing there's a chance he squirts through the middle but the corner had a great angle on him and it would've taken a special yac play to get clear.

Higgins had virtually no chance on that pass. It was a back shoulder to the opposite side he was looking and he's just not good enough to make that. A dpi there would've been just another bad call.

16 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Off the coaches tape, I think DPJ was the best decision there whether that's read #1 or not. But he doesn't run a great route. As it was Baker still could have thrown it though. The contact there is more ticky tack imo and isn't enough to legit draw a foul. Now if DPJ runs the route crisper, then i think the contact would have been more blatant and for sure drawn a flag.

If OBJ got the ball with ideal timing there's a chance he squirts through the middle but the corner had a great angle on him and it would've taken a special yac play to get clear.

Higgins had virtually no chance on that pass. It was a back shoulder to the opposite side he was looking and he's just not good enough to make that. A dpi there would've been just another bad call.

A bad call in our favor would have been fine.

We we’re down at least 2 bad calls at that time.

29 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

A bad call in our favor would have been fine.

We we’re down at least 2 bad calls at that time.

It was every bit as obvious and egregious as the call on Troy Hill (illegal contact) on the first 3rd and forever the first drive when Herbert threw the ball into the sideline intentionally from the pocket, extending the drive and resulting in a TD for the Chargers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It was every bit as obvious and egregious as the call on Troy Hill (illegal contact) on the first 3rd and forever the first drive when Herbert threw the ball into the sideline intentionally from the pocket, extending the drive and resulting in a TD for the Chargers.

And not even as remotely as egregious as the DPI on Green.