2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Meme Reaction GIF

We’re 3-3.  Our losses are to 3 playoff teams, one of them being 6-0.  Believe it or not, as a Browns fan I’ve seen worse both from a team and the QB position, so this isn’t a huge burden tbh.

If there was a better option available I’d be all for it, but I’m not sure who’s trading away franchise QB’s.

If the last 30 years has taught me anything, it’s that it’s a lot easier to say “we need a better QB” than it is to actually go out and find a great one.

Not to mention we know Baker is not one of the few QB's that can carry us despite tough circumstances. Such as having to start our 4th and 5th string OT's and playing with a Torn Labrum....

Edited by nugpimpen
Edit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

Not to mention we know Baker is not one of the few QB's that can carry us despite tough circumstances. Such as having to start our 4th and 5th string OT's and playing with a Torn Labrum....

Yeah if it’s a guy who can win no matter the circumstances, good luck finding them.

8 minutes ago, JDD said:

Have we talked about how Baker has gotten 3 HC's fired (or not rehired in Greggggggg's case)

Yeah, I mean he sucks

Just watch: Bellichick retires, New England surprisingly goes with another Browns retread in one Fred Kitchens...and the rest is history. Thanks, Baker.

• Like 4

On 10/15/2021 at 9:03 AM, MWil23 said:

Here are my BIGGEST questions and/or concerns with Baker:

1. His success comes largely off of scheming guys open coming off of our run game. This definitely isn't his fault, and he's highly successful here, but a lot of this is due to Stefanski's system.

2. Can he consistently win as a pure drop back passer in "off script" situations? Whether it's a 2 minute drill, the run game isn't clicking, you need to go 3-4 wide and can't rely on heavier personnel, etc. 

3. Will he take that "next step" and be able to attack the entire field instead of mostly just the 1/2 field reads? The reason he isn't hitting the middle of the field comes down to about 2-3 things:

A. The TE seam game needs work. Flat out, Hooper has been disappointing here.

B. Jarvis, our biggest middle of the field threat, has been hurt. Someone else needs to step up, and since Schwartz bailed on that dig route, we've basically gone away from those types of routes

C. From a scheme perspective, a lot of those boot/flood concepts are Stefanski's bread and butter. I have ZERO issue with that, and it's highly successful, but more of these late game situations need to be capitalized off of when you "have to have them".

For the record, these questions and concerns, IMO, are not deal-breakers. They were the same concerns that people had with Dak a year ago, as well as many other young quarterbacks. 

Stefanski has done a brilliant job of what Freddie, Hue, and others should have done from the get go. Use flood and boot concepts to isolate 1/2 the field and read 1 defender. Then, years 2-4, you should be progressing to that "next stage" on a full field read progression.

I see some areas where Baker is processing more quickly, getting to his 3rd progression, etc., but some of the quick game, slant game, and seam game is clearly lacking.

1. When I watch Jake Burns from the OBR breakdown the all 22 of every pass play the seems to be a decent chunk of plays where Bakers doesn’t see the open guy or just doesn’t throw for whatever reason, I think the scheme is fine

2. Right now I’m not sure he can consistently win as a drop back passer on “on script” situation. He’s not seeing the field well and not trusting himself to make difficult throws.

3. This was the year he was supposed to take the next step 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Shoulder popped out of joint twice in the game.

Didn’t miss a snap.

After years of watching guys give a “professional effort” I’ll forever appreciate his heart.

100% here. Baker has all my respect as a professional, football persona, and in the effort category. My concerns with him are purely ability/execution, and not anything else.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Just watch: Bellichick retires, New England surprisingly goes with another Browns retread in one Fred Kitchens...and the rest is history. Thanks, Baker.

I can see this happening. Though I can see McDaniels getting the job first because he did pull the BB move of accepting a job then not taking it. So maybe Big Fred is the OC for a few years.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

1. When I watch Jake Burns from the OBR breakdown the all 22 of every pass play the seems to be a decent chunk of plays where Bakers doesn’t see the open guy or just doesn’t throw for whatever reason, I think the scheme is fine

All 22 can be tricky.  It’s good to see what’s happening, but at the same time can make things look easier than they are.  It’s easy to day “damn, this guy missed his 3rd read who was wide open for a split second”, but a lot harder to actually make those plays.

@MWil23 is right in that Baker is missing hot reads and is not exploiting the numbers.  If they bring 7-8, someone is open.  He’s gotta find that guy.

2. Right now I’m not sure he can consistently win as a drop back passer on “on script” situation. He’s not seeing the field well and not trusting himself to make difficult throws.

Yeah he seems like he’s overly concerned with making mistakes and not just letting it rip.

I think that Hail Mary should put to rest any concerns over the shoulder impacting his throws, he’s gotta start gripping and ripping.

3. This was the year he was supposed to take the next step 

And he still may.  We still have 11 weeks to go.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JDD said:

I can see this happening. Though I can see McDaniels getting the job first because he did pull the BB move of accepting a job then not taking it. So maybe Big Fred is the OC for a few years.

Maybe they decide to go with Freddie just to try to lure some suburban housewife eyes for a ratings boost.

Kinda like the Cardinals and KK.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 6:18 PM, Empire Lies said:

His career has of yet to be decided and he can elevate his game. Others around him have to play and coach better as well.

He'll never have as good a situation as this season. If he can't excel with this cast, he's not going to.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not sure why this question needs to be answered? Our options aren’t pay him 40+ or let him walk.

He’s here next season. We’ve picked up his 5th year, it’s guaranteed.

The following season we can franchise him for probably between 25-30.

We have somewhere between 28-45 more games to evaluate him, for him to progress in the offense, etc. before we need to make any long term decisions.

Love him hate him for it, but he's a fairly emotionally immature guy that wears everything on his sleeve. As soon as he feels genuinely slighted by the organization things could get messy.

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And he still may.  We still have 11 weeks to go.

Even if he goes on a little streak, we know he'll come down off it and put games up multiple games like the last one. He is what he is, there's no more mystery to it. He's basically where he was at to begin last season.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Meme Reaction GIF

We’re 3-3.  Our losses are to 3 playoff teams, one of them being 6-0.  Believe it or not, as a Browns fan I’ve seen worse both from a team and the QB position, so this isn’t a huge burden tbh.

If there was a better option available I’d be all for it, but I’m not sure who’s trading away franchise QB’s.

If the last 30 years has taught me anything, it’s that it’s a lot easier to say “we need a better QB” than it is to actually go out and find a great one.

How are you feeling good morning

Got some beautiful shots of tetons from house. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

How are you feeling good morning

doing great sir, you?

5 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Got some beautiful shots of tetons from house. 

I bet you do!  This is my favorite time of year there (at least between this and summer).  I bet the aspens are turning/have turned which is always stunning.