2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I get being a prisoner of the moment but I'm surprised that 90% plus don't believe he is the guy already.

I think you know the people who never liked him are the ones beating this drum. 6 games into a season after he played pretty good in a new system and its time to unload him?  That's a big Nah Dawg for me

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Unpopular opinion here but I'd sign him whenever we can get a deal done. I've seen enough. If we move on (we aren't getting Watson, Rodgers or Wilson) we could potentially not do better than him for 20 more years.

That said, he has everything needed tyo be really good if not great. His O-line isn't elite, the tackles have been shaky in pass protection all year and that is before both were injured. Teller is much better at run blocking than pass protecting. Bitonio is solid, has up and down games. Tretter is a good center.

Our receiving options aren't any better than good. Landry gives a gutty effort and performance. Hooper is meh. Njoku is either all pro or garbage from week to week. Bryant is nothing. OBJ is bleh. Higgins is sure handed usually but not an athlete. DPJ is our best option to be great but that's still projection at this point. Schwartz isn't NFL caliber yet.

Running backs are elite. Run blocking is good.

If Average NFL QB comes in they aren't performing better than Baker. You aren't going to get to your 4th read with the tackles we're sending out. I don't know if Keenum ever went to a 2nd read. I get being a prisoner of the moment but I'm surprised that 90% plus don't believe he is the guy already.

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

giphy.gif

Besides Mind, no one spoke up until after the Cards game. There were grumblings after the Charger loss that we didn't score the last two drives but the next to last drive was a 3 and out that we ran on 3rd and 8 or whatever it was.

So, the last drive against the Chargers and the Cardinal game is enough that it seems the majority of the forum is wanting Fields or Trey Lance or whatever bad QB with potential is out there.

People need to settle down just a bit.

Edited by Thomas5737
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Besides Mind, no one spoke up until after the Cards game. There were grumblings after the Charger loss that we didn't score the last two drives but the next to last drive was a 3 and out that we ran on 3rd and 8 or whatever it was.

So, the last drive against the Chargers and the Cardinal game is enough that it seems the majority of the forum is wanting Fields or Trey Lance or whatever bad QB with potential is out there.

People need to settle down just a bit.

Just crazy to think that some had issues with the chargers game because he couldn’t score 49 pts in a game... like I could be upset with the chargers game if the only reason we scored 42 pts was because of a couple defensive touchdowns, but there wasn’t. Should have won the chargers game but that was on woods and the defense 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Just crazy to think that some had issues with the chargers game because he couldn’t score 49 pts in a game... like I could be upset with the chargers game if the only reason we scored 42 pts was because of a couple defensive touchdowns, but there wasn’t. Should have won the chargers game but that was on woods and the defense 

I think the reason people were upset with Baker in that game was because we had a 'game winning drive' chance and he failed after failing 2 weeks earlier against the Cheifs.

People want to see Baker make those bigtime game winning drives because thats what franchise QBs do, regularly. Baker seems to be on the wrong side of those this year.

That being said---dont give up 47 points.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Baker and the offense were crap against Minnesota too, but people kinda sweep that under the rug 

That was by far his worst game. The Cardinal game he had a bad pick and lost both of his fumbles (Kyler fumbled 4 times but his team recovered all of them) but otherwise looked fine. Certainly nothing like the Viking game.

If he was going to be the QB that was displayed in the Viking game I'd lead the charge to get a new QB

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Baker and the offense were crap against Minnesota too, but people kinda sweep that under the rug 

yeah it gets swept under the rug cause the defense put on one of its best performances vs a pretty good offense in their home stadium. Joe Woods actually outcoached a pretty good offense. More shocked by the defensive performance than the offense performance

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

You wanna know how many other qbs in the history of the game have had bad games?

Not to you but to everyone else in here, do you wanna know what qb yesterday was facing a 3rd and long that decided to scramble out and was staring at a completely wide open receiver that had room to run and would have made the first down and many more yards? (Beautiful sentence structure). Yet went on to run anyway and didn’t get the first down? (Run on second sentence structure?)

He’s a probable HOF. Yep Aaron Rodgers. Oh a d he missed a couple wide open guys. 

Imagine imperfect people doing imperfect things in imperfect settings. 

Btw we’re not discussing this if we even had a modicum of defense. I wouldn’t be surprised if we could have won it all if we had any kind of defense at all. 

I’m not really sure I see the urgency to get a deal done right now though. We have control for another year, why not wait just to be safe? Based off of 2021, I don’t think you can commit that kind of money to him. If he is what we hope he is, healthy, that’s different, and then you just pay him what he wants at that point. But you can really cripple your franchise if you overcommit guaranteed money into a guy which keeps you from surrounding him with sufficient cast. He’s not a transcendent level enough player to get by without great players around him. I really hope and believe he will be here for a long time, with that said. But he’s not a guy I would commit that kind of money to right now. 

15 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

He’s not a transcendent level enough player to get by without great players around him.

Nick Chubb is our only great player on offense. Tight ends and Recievers are middle of the pack, so average. We have a solid interior line with 3 good players, I don't think any of them are great overall but you don't need to be. Teller is great in run blocking and Bitonio in pulling. Hunt is good but I don't think he is great, just good. He is a great complimentary piece to go along Chubb.

Unless you mean OBJ when you say great and well...

I am very happy with our offense for the most part but I don't think any of them will be enshrined unless Chubb has a long career.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

Nick Chubb is our only great player on offense. Tight ends and Recievers are middle of the pack, so average. We have a solid interior line with 3 good players, I don't think any of them are great overall but you don't need to be. Teller is great in run blocking and Bitonio in pulling. Hunt is good but I don't think he is great, just good. He is a great complimentary piece to go along Chubb.

Who actually has a “elite” offensive line in your opinion?

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Who actually has a “elite” offensive line in your opinion?

Oh I don't know I pretty much just watch Browns games now... married life.

I'm just judging them based on how they perform. Bitonio has always been up and down but he gets the accolades, not in a class like Joe Thomas though.

Tretter is probably the most stable. Teller is the most viscous. Conklin seemed better last year than this. Wills is better than a scrub but not great at pass pro yet. Chubb averages a lot more yards after contact than before so this isn't like Emmitt running behind the Cowboys line.

I'm happy with our line but they hardly ever stonewall a pass rush like the great lines of the past did. They are plenty good for a quick passing attack which we use a lot. When we need to drive the field in 80 seconds without a timeout they don't seem able to hold up long enough for downfield routes to open up and when the pocket collapses Baker has to move and you pretty much lose half of the field so there is a 50% chance you miss it if someone did come open.

Baker isn't Lamar, Allen or Wilson as far as athleticism so there are times you need the line to give you three seconds in the pocket to get chunk yards and it just doesn't happen often.

Only Justin Fields and Zach Wilson have a higher sack percentage this year than Baker. So It's hard for me to call them great in terms of surrounding talent.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Unless you mean OBJ when you say great and well...

I am very happy with our offense for the most part but I don't think any of them will be enshrined unless Chubb has a long career.

Yeah, I actually don’t disagree with what you are saying here. It’s Chubb and the backs then JAGs other then Landry. We haven’t seen good quarterback play for parts of this year though, (part due to health imo) and we clearly need to get him some more weapons to work with. I am looking at what Mahomes is like right now, and how they are potentially going to be in a bind with his cap number going up and tough decisions ahead with personnel. We need to find a way to keep Mayfield long-term but be able to add more weapons and keep current guys in the fold. If we continue to give him crap weapons, and he is playing with a very large cap number, could be tough to rise as the alpha in the AFC North like we’re all hoping. We need to take that next step.