2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

Every single year there’s been an excuse for Baker.

Year 1 he was a rookie so we overlooked his turnovers 

Year 2 it was Freddie

Year 3 the first half of the season it was Covid and a new system 

Year 4 it’s injuries

What’s it going to be next year?

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Year 2 it was Freddie

Year 4 it’s injuries

So are those just excuses?  No validity to any if it?

Rookies don’t turn the ball over?  Freddie was a good coach?  New systems don’t take time to learn? Injuries don’t impact ability?

I’m not saying Baker isn’t part of Baker’s issues, but those look like some fairly legit reasons as to why a player would struggle.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So are those just excuses?  No validity to any if it?

Rookies don’t turn the ball over?  Freddie was a good coach?  New systems don’t take time to learn? Injuries don’t impact ability?

I’m not saying Baker isn’t part of Baker’s issues, but those look like some fairly legit reasons as to why a player would struggle.

Being part of it, absolutely. To the extent of him not taking that next step? No chance. 

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Being part of it, absolutely. To the extent of him not taking that next step? No chance. 

What are reasonable expectations for an injured QB playing with this injured version of Jarvis, an injured/unavailable DPJ, Schwartz being 100% not ready to play WR at the pro level, Higgins being your best option as the number one yesterday etc?  

Higgins and Bradley are the two most capable receivers at this moment.  One is a PS guy and the other a 4/5.

Maybe he should be shredding with the TE’s?  Hooper is Higgins in the passing game.  He can find spots in zone but isn’t beating anyone in man coverage. Njoku?  Maybe, depends which version comes to play.  Bryant?

Again, Baker missed throws, but show me a QB who doesn’t. I just think expectations from some aren’t matching reality.

My take wasn't intended as a bash on Baker, I do think he can be a very good QB... when healthy. That's the caveat. It's a double edged sword because Baker is beat up, they're going to have to kill the guy to get him to tap out. I appreciate the toughness but he's so beat up, he has to understand that 4 bad weeks in a row, with his last game being the worst, are going to get you booed. This game should have been a blowout, but he's incapable of consistently throwing accurate passes

• Like 1

Just now, TeHDruiD said:

My take wasn't intended as a bash on Baker, I do think he can be a very good QB... when healthy. That's the caveat. It's a double edged sword because Baker is beat up, they're going to have to kill the guy to get him to tap out. I appreciate the toughness but he's so beat up, he has to understand that 4 bad weeks in a row, with his last game being the worst, are going to get you booed. This game should have been a blowout, but he's incapable of consistently throwing accurate passes

Then that’s on the HC tbh.

Stefanski needs to take control of things and sit Baker until he’s healthy enough to play at a competent level.

29 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Year 2 it was Freddie

Year 4 it’s injuries

26th overall draft pick reason to sign him.

Baker is hurt way worse than we think. We're aware of his injuries but only he knows the pain of them

I'd like to think he'll get it all figured out and adjust however he can to make it work consistently, but he hasn't to this point. It's not his fault and I agree he's taking way too much heat but the NFL is a production business. If you can't produce you need to hold the clipboard

I keep putting everything together. QBs are on record saying that harness causes passes to sail, now factor in cold/wet weather, your grip isn't nearly as good. If you're already struggling to throw accurately, the cold and wet becomes an even bigger obstacle than normal. That is what worries me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeHDruiD said:

Baker is hurt way worse than we think. We're aware of his injuries but only he knows the pain of them

I'd like to think he'll get it all figured out and adjust however he can to make it work consistently, but he hasn't to this point. It's not his fault and I agree he's taking way too much heat but the NFL is a production business. If you can't produce you need to hold the clipboard

I mean, yeah, but also, I think an injured Baker is better than a healthy Keenum and I think Stefanski knows that too.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see Keenum slicing that defense with those receivers either.

I think Baker needs to sit for Baker for sure, maybe for the team and maybe for the fans so they can grasp he’s not the only issue with this passing game.

We can debate OBJ’s ability and I guess we’ll see how that goes in LA, but with Juice being as injured as Baker we have one decent receiver, and he was injured.  The rest of these guys are replacement level at best.

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Then that’s on the HC tbh.

Stefanski needs to take control of things and sit Baker until he’s healthy enough to play at a competent level.

I agree. As I pointed out, everybody but the team seen Baker limping around, why are you calling back to back bootlegs?

My blame is spread evenly. BUTTTTT they won and really that's all that matters. Here's to hoping they get it all figured out. Baker must look good in practice because if he looks in practice like he does in these games I'd have to question everything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeHDruiD said:

I keep putting everything together. QBs are on record saying that harness causes passes to sail, now factor in cold/wet weather, your grip isn't nearly as good. If you're already struggling to throw accurately, the cold and wet becomes an even bigger obstacle than normal. That is what worries me.

And I’m sure this is part of why Baker was frustrated and didn’t speak to the media yesterday.

I’m not going to defend that action at all, he was wrong for that, but I get it.

I put myself in that situation and I’m playing through what I’m sure is significant pain, trying my absolute best to help this team and when I’m struggling due to those injuries I get booed, at home, IN A GAME THEY NEVER TRAILED AND WON?  I’d be a salty mfer myself tbh.

Just now, TeHDruiD said:

I agree. As I pointed out, everybody but the team seen Baker limping around, why are you calling back to back bootlegs?

Because they needed to move the pocket as they were blitzing the hell out of him because

a. He’s struggled with the blitz

b. We don’t have receivers who can beat man coverage right now.

It was a matter of necessity tbh.

Just now, TeHDruiD said:

My blame is spread evenly. BUTTTTT they won and really that's all that matters. Here's to hoping they get it all figured out. Baker must look good in practice because if he looks in practice like he does in these games I'd have to question everything. 

Or question just how good Keenum is.

I’ll just say this.  If you don’t trust him enough to put him in there, he’s an absolute waste of 6 million dollars.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, yeah, but also, I think an injured Baker is better than a healthy Keenum and I think Stefanski knows that too.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see Keenum slicing that defense with those receivers either.

I think Baker needs to sit for Baker for sure, maybe for the team and maybe for the fans so they can grasp he’s not the only issue with this passing game.

We can debate OBJ’s ability and I guess we’ll see how that goes in LA, but with Juice being as injured as Baker we have one decent receiver, and he was injured.  The rest of these guys are replacement level at best.

The thing for me was guys were wide open on several of those throws and he badly missed. A healthy Baker is a heck of a QB, this version we have right now isn't starting quality

I hope the bye week allows them to rest and work out the kinks but I think he's too far gone this year. Injuries keep piling on him and the fans turned on him. This is a fragile time.