2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

32 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Fantastic video. Highest pressure to sack rate in the league despite the most clean pocket time of 2.5 seconds since Stefanski took over.

Like I have said all year, empty formations to try to get coverage tells and mismatches since Baker can’t read it himself or eye manipulate.

Call him what he is: A limited average at best starting quarterback in the NFL.

I mean, couldn’t that also mean receivers aren’t getting open?

• Like 2

Just now, candyman93 said:

He needs better receivers.

I can’t even deny that. He’s throwing to garbage.

He really is.  I like Baker, and he’s got plenty to prove yet, but these receivers are pathetic.

Our top 2 receivers are DPJ who is a 3/4 on a team with proper receivers and Juice who is, well, a slot only dude who runs like a G. I love his competitiveness and savvy, but he simply can’t beat man coverage against a DB at this point.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, couldn’t that also mean receivers aren’t getting open?

In SOME cases, sure. For four years...? Very doubtful. Plus, there were no less than 3 examples there of a second receiver that WAS open that he missed.

His playaction metrics vs. dropback metrics are undeniable at this point, and the 60+ game body of work sample size is there. 

I agree with his conclusion in that Baker's injury is absolutely effecting him negatively, but he's also right in that when these physical limitations are impacting him, he doesn't have the mental makeup or the fundamental footwork/discipline to compensate.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He really is.  I like Baker, and he’s got plenty to prove yet, but these receivers are pathetic.

Our top 2 receivers are DPJ who is a 3/4 on a team with proper receivers and Juice who is, well, a slot only dude who runs like a G. I love his competitiveness and savvy, but he simply can’t beat man coverage against a DB at this point.

I absolutely agree that his WR are a complete dumpster fire, but there are a lot of flaws with Baker that are there regardless of his receivers. Those presnap reads/lack thereof based upon 1 and 2 safety and inside/outside leverage alignment from a force defender are absolutely spot on, and he can't see it...that's alarming for a guy in his 4th year. If it was getting fooled occasionally, it happens to everyone. But with him it happens a lot, especially with recognizing pressure and presnap coverage.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

I absolutely agree that his WR are a complete dumpster fire, but there are a lot of flaws with Baker that are there regardless of his receivers. Those presnap reads/lack thereof based upon 1 and 2 safety and inside/outside leverage alignment from a force defender are absolutely spot on, and he can't see it...that's alarming for a guy in his 4th year. If it was getting fooled occasionally, it happens to everyone. But with him it happens a lot, especially with recognizing pressure and presnap coverage.

Devils advocate, but 4th year in what?  His 4th offense?  4th HC?  He’s not gonna be as far along as guys who’ve been developed properly.

• Like 2

Baker is an interesting problem to have at QB. 

His leadership seems to be good enough, most of his teammates seem to like him and his coaches have liked him too. 

He has some incredible gifts as a QB, namely his ball placements is exceptional at times, it seems like he can enter int oa jedi modes once in a while where he throws every pass on target. 

However, as Mwil, tirelessly points out, he is behind and significantly behind in his development as a QB as it pertains too reading the field and adjusting at the LOS. Defensive coordinators are able to take away the playaction roles outs. I guess we need to find out if what has limited him, his receivers, and his limitations, field vision and running the offense can be overcome. 

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Devils advocate, but 4th year in what?  His 4th offense?  4th HC?  He’s not gonna be as far along as guys who’ve been developed properly.

Fourth year in the league and second year in the same system. If you all want to give him a free pass, then by all means feel free to do so, but the lack of an ability to do so from a guy touted as so “pro ready” as his biggest selling point is cause for concern.

Is the system turnover why his footwork sucks all the way back to college as well?

How about against pressure just like he did against UGA and Iowa State his senior year?

How about his slow progression and processing with feeling pocket ghosts which was his biggest knock coming out?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

However, as Mwil, tirelessly points out, he is behind and significantly behind in his development as a QB as it pertains too reading the field and adjusting at the LOS. Defensive coordinators are able to take away the playaction roles outs. I guess we need to find out if what has limited him, his receivers, and his limitations, field vision and running the offense can be overcome.

Unfortunately the league always figures you out. You have to adapt.

Teams have taken away Mahomes kill shots deep. Teams know how to rush Lamar effectively.

Baker has his play action roll outs taken away.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Fourth year in the league and second year in the same system. If you all want to give him a free pass, then by all means feel free to do so, but the lack of an ability to do so from a guy touted as so “pro ready” as his biggest selling point is cause for concern.

Is the system turnover why his footwork sucks all the way back to college as well?

How about against pressure just like he did against UGA and Iowa State his senior year?

How about his slow progression and processing with feeling pocket ghosts which was his biggest knock coming out?

26th draft pick

With sendejo

Stewart

Redwing and Mack

24 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Sorry, I’m a defensive coach; it’s in my blood.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Piggy backing of this comment (I actually brought up this point in my 2 long rants in here about 2 weeks ago LOL).

Looking at some of the "Top Young QB's"

Lamar Jackson- Rashard Bateman (1rst), Butterfingers Brown (1rst) and Sammy Watkins (#4 Overall 1rst round).

Kyler Murry- Hopkins (former 1rst rounder and best WR in NFL IMO), Aj Green (former #4 overall pick), Christian Kirk 2nd rounder, Andy Isabella 2nd rounder, Rondell Moore 2nd rounder (and if Larry Fitz's comes outta semi retirement for a SB run)

Joe Burrow- Jamar Chases (#4 overall pick), Boyd (2nd round), Higgins (Top pick of 2nd round 33rd overall)

Then we look at what Baker Mayfield is targeting Landry (2nd round), DPJ (6th round), Bradley (UDFA), Higgins (5th).........

People say Apologist.......I call it a Statement of FACTS

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Piggy backing of this comment (I actually brought up this point in my 2 long rants in here about 2 weeks ago LOL).

Looking at some of the "Top Young QB's"

Lamar Jackson- Rashard Bateman (1rst), Butterfingers Brown (1rst) and Sammy Watkins (#4 Overall 1rst round).

Kyler Murry- Hopkins (former 1rst rounder and best WR in NFL IMO), Aj Green (former #4 overall pick), Christian Kirk 2nd rounder, Andy Isabella 2nd rounder, Rondell Moore 2nd rounder (and if Larry Fitz's comes outta semi retirement for a SB run)

Joe Burrow- Jamar Chases (#4 overall pick), Boyd (2nd round), Higgins (Top pick of 2nd round 33rd overall)

Then we look at what Baker Mayfield is targeting Landry (2nd round), DPJ (6th round), Bradley (UDFA), Higgins (5th).........

People say Apologist.......I call it a Statement of FACTS

This comment above is the Baker hate slump-buster we all needed.

• Like 1