Should the Panther consider finding Cam's replacement?

patriotsheatyan

I wouldn't say replacement. BUT you might want a quality back up. Cam's been in the league 6 years. He's closing in on 30. I can just see his body start breaking down. Once he starts losing mobility and can't make plays outside the pocket he's going to be a poor QB. 

Competition breeds excellence.

He is coming off an MVP season.   The talent is obviously there, even if the accuracy issues with always be there.   You definitely dont look for his replacement....but if you draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round, he might feel a bit more pressure, especially if said QB is decent.    

Ultimately, they should still be focused on building around Cam.     If by the end of his contract the team doesnt seem to be going anywhere....that is when you THINK about replacing him.  Until then,  you ride it out with Cam.

Not yet, but the arrow is certainly starting to point in that direction if things don't change in his mechanics and decision making. Especially when you consider that he'll be 29 next year and the beating that he has taken as a result of both; his play-style and his terrible protection. How much longer can he really rely on his legs and mobility in the pocket?

If he wants to last, his fundamentals HAVE to get better and better real soon. Mentality, hes still young for a QB, so he has time to change. 

12 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Panthers haven't scored a non-Cam touchdown this season.  It is Week 7.

Cam has led the team in rushing 2 weeks in a row and there is a good chance he will finish the season leading them in rushing.

Cam hasn't been perfect, but the bigger problem with the offense goes beyond Cam.  Shula is quite frankly a terrible offensive coordinator.  They are far too reliant on Cam.  Case in point: on 4th and 2 (a long 2 at that), with Newton clearly injured, what do the Panthers call?  A QB Draw that the Bears easily diagnose and stuff.  

Shula's run scheme is stuck in college and his passing scheme is stuck in the 1970s.  Cam is the primary reason the Panthers offense ever does anything productive.  Getting rid of him isn't the solution.  Building around him is.  Just as the Rams did with Goff this past offseason. 

Dude...?

You said this on GDT

Or better, I have given up on Cam Newton and this offense.

Leaving aside my dislike of him as a player, and a person;

He is hindered by a poor OL, and not many Qbs could thrive behind that. BUT, he does have poor decision making and poor accuracy a lot of the time. I notice a lot of open receivers down low, but he's trying to nuke it into the secondary over everyone's head. So, not sure I'd replace him, but a bit of competition would help (see Mahomes on Smith), a better OL would certainly help, and cleaning up decision making and stop trying to throw the ball to Australia. 

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Dude...?

You said this on GDT

I say a lot of overreactionary things.

But yes, for 2017, I have given up on Cam and this offense being productive Consistently anyway. Doesn't mean I necessarily think it is on Cam, although that pick he threw when I said that certainly was.

22 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I say a lot of overreactionary things.

But yes, for 2017, I have given up on Cam and this offense being productive Consistently anyway. Doesn't mean I necessarily think it is on Cam, although that pick he threw when I said that certainly was.

Oh OK. You meant for this season, thought you meant forever. 

McCaffrey, Stewart, Olsen(when healthy), Funchess and Benjamin aren't bad options. The Panthers have tried to build around Newton.

Get some more offensive line help (get rid of Matt Kalil. He's done) and bring a new OC. If it still isn't working, then consider moving on.

Newton has his struggles but its not all on him.

Archived