Do you think teams can “ruin” Qb’s?

CP3MVP

In all seriousness, we've seen a lot of QBs thrive in one environment only to flounder in another.  Look at Ryan Tannehill, or Brett Favre, or Drew Brees.  Then add in the fact that high picking teams are, by design, often poorly run, then you make a pretty great case for it.

Is it so extreme that any properly running FO and staff can make any decent QB a star?  Of course not.  But I think teams and how they groom a QB have a lot more influence on their overall development than people generally think.

I also think that's true, to a lesser degree, of a lot of other positions on the field as well.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 9:44 PM, Slappy Mc said:

EEh3q18WkAMPbUv?format=jpg&name=900x900

I absolutely think a team can ruin a QB with potential to be "good/great". I personally the think biggest one recently was Andrew Luck. I really believe Andrew Luck had the talent and poise to be a HoFer. I also agree that bad QBs can be propped up by systems. Jared Goff fits this bill for me. Before Sean McVay, Goff looked like a bonafide bust.

Before Sean McVay, Goff was only a rookie playing under the great HC that is Jeff Fisher.

On 5/20/2021 at 1:25 PM, pwny said:

Jeff Garcia is a pretty great example of this in motion.

He was a pretty good QB in SF in their west coast offense. Dennis Erickson comes in and changed the offense, and he’s terrible. He goes to Cleveland to start and play in a system that’s about as different from the West Coast offense as one can imagine and he’s complete garbage again. Goes to Detroit, again not playing West Coast offense and he’s awful in his few games there. Then he goes to Philly, and when he’s tasked with playing Andy Reid runs west coast concepts and suddenly he’s an effective player again. Then he goes to the Bucs and they run more west coast concepts and he’s again an efficient QB.

Three straight teams decided to not run concepts the guy was good at and instead asked him to do things that showed off his limitations. Meanwhile the three stops where he’s put into an offense that he can do the things that he’s good at and hides the things he’s not good at, he’s an effective player.

Throw any player into the start of their career with the string of coaches and misfit offense that Garcia had for three years, and a guy is going to look like a complete bust and never really be given a chance to prove otherwise.

Drew Brees comes to mind as well. Payton really did a good job of maximizing his talent compared to what happened in San Diego.

yes teams can easily ruin QBs if they dont know how to handle them or use them. Honestly think Lamar would be on the verge of being replaced it Harbs didnt change the entire system for him.  a lot of coaches refuse to adapt because its my way or the highway attitude they carry. Imagine if the Browns took Jackson and he was forced to start his career with Hue Jackson.

I think in any workplace you get people who are suited to the environment and flourish, and some who it doesn't suit - sports players are no different IMO. I'm not sure a team can "ruin" a QB short of pushing them to some sort of physical or mental ruin, but I'm sure a QB in the wrong environment can take a hit confidence and reputation-wise. Whether or not they then come back from it is a different thing, but I think if they don't there's more to it than the team ruining them.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 4:10 PM, CP3MVP said:

RG3- Washington is a bad organization but Mike is a borderline HOF HC and his son Kyle the OC is one of the best offensive kinds of his generation. I would argue that first season their system protected him and hid his flaws. But you can only do that for so long. 

Snyder ruined RG3.  Mike and Kyle both wanted to bring him along slowly and ween him off the 2012 offense, turning him into a pocket passer like Andy Reid did with McNabb.  Snyder got into Griffin's head and used him to tell the head coach how to run his offense.  

Sadly Mike, RG3, and Snyder were all egomaniacs who couldn't put their pride a side and get out of their own way.

I'm personally offended by anyone who answers no to this question.

The Bears team have been around for 101 years and have had 78 different starting QBs since.  The last time they had an All-Pro QB was world war 2 before color television and when most of your grandparents were still capable of sprinting. The last time they had a pro bowl QB was 35 years ago when they won the SB and have had 37 different starting QBs since then.  Andy Dalton (and eventually Fields) will make it 39 different starting QBs in the last 36 years.

So It's either the Bears are the unluckiest team in sports or they have simply sucked at developing QBs for the past 100 years. Either way, the blame lands on the FO no matter how you spin it.

I could go on a long vicious rant about this but I'll spare you the details.

There are certainly times when a QB is just too broken to fix no matter what a team does, but it doesn't help when the FO puts them in a no-win situation with a poor supporting cast and changing OCs every year.

• Like 2

We will see with Sam Darnold, hes going to a team with a good OC and good weapons. He was on a disaster of a team with the Jets that did everything they could to make things bad for him.   If Darnold becomes good, then you know it was the Jets that made him bad.  I happen to think that if you had put any QB on the Jets the past few years they would be bad, that situation doesn't get any worse.  

Yea what kind of question is this. Depending on who you line up on the OL you can basically kill the dude.

NBA is better for a question like this. Less physical and more individual based.

Edited by Kirill

i'm sure this is at least partially sentimentality on my part because i like marcus mariota the person, but i do honestly think the titans, if they didn't *ruin* mariota, they certainly failed to maximize his skillset. and by the time they had a strong supporting cast around him, he was totally broken. ironically of course, that strong supporting cast and offensive system maximized ryan tannehill's skills after he had been "ruined" in miami. so yeah, i mean, i think this is just a fancy way of saying "do your offensive system and supporting cast matter when developing a QB?" and the answer is yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. 

The 1st way is they dont protect him. A lot of guys come into a situation where the oline is terrible and they do nothing to improve it. 

2nd a coach that doesnt help the young player out whether it is scheme, throwing them out there before they are ready or when expectations are too high. 

It seems like more 1st or 2nd overall qbs bust than dont. To me that often reflects a bad organization