What have we got?

AKRNA

16 hours ago, AKRNA said:

He was not, no question about it. His 1st season success went to his head. Had all the endzone dances and "I'm a Gunsliger" shtick goin' on. I kinda hated him.

Served him right though, he got his a** handed to him last year. The turnaround is remarkable. Let's see how it translates on the field.

Then you have to question his maturity and the fact that he wasted a year - and that is a problem. Apart from a few interviews and some insiders making claims, we have no idea if a turnaround has happened and won't until we actually see him in a game situation.

I would like nothing more than to see Lock make the leap this year - I think it is positive that Manning has been working with him. But he was so far behind the curve last season that he has some distance to travel to even get close to competing with Bridgewater - and that is the problem. Can he do it? - hopefully.

What annoys me with the draft is that Fields was available - taking Fields is sending a clear message to Lock - produce or you're done. If both Lock and Fields become NFL calibre QBs then the Broncos have a major asset to trade - if one does then it doesn't make a difference which one it is. By not taking Fields then you are putting all your eggs in the Lock basket - and that is not the best strategy.

8 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Then you have to question his maturity and the fact that he wasted a year - and that is a problem. Apart from a few interviews and some insiders making claims, we have no idea if a turnaround has happened and won't until we actually see him in a game situation.

I would like nothing more than to see Lock make the leap this year - I think it is positive that Manning has been working with him. But he was so far behind the curve last season that he has some distance to travel to even get close to competing with Bridgewater - and that is the problem. Can he do it? - hopefully.

What annoys me with the draft is that Fields was available - taking Fields is sending a clear message to Lock - produce or you're done. If both Lock and Fields become NFL calibre QBs then the Broncos have a major asset to trade - if one does then it doesn't make a difference which one it is. By not taking Fields then you are putting all your eggs in the Lock basket - and that is not the best strategy.

I don't think Fields was ever considered. Mentally he's a year away from realistically being able to function as a WCO QB. As far as a clear message to Lock, thats what Bridgewater is. A solid NFL journeyman QB thats familiar with the system.

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I don't think Fields was ever considered. Mentally he's a year away from realistically being able to function as a WCO QB. As far as a clear message to Lock, thats what Bridgewater is. A solid NFL journeyman QB thats familiar with the system.

And if the Broncos field a top 5 defense Teddy probably won't lose you a game.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Given that Bridgewater is on the roster, that is all the more reason for taking Fileds. 

This is not about this coming season - it is potentially about the next 15 years.

If Paton manages to get Rodgers than he has 3/4 years to sort out a long-term QB.

3 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Given that Bridgewater is on the roster, that is all the more reason for taking Fileds. 

This is not about this coming season - it is potentially about the next 15 years.

If Paton manages to get Rodgers than he has 3/4 years to sort out a long-term QB.

We've got other threads regarding people not on the roster. Lets not do this here.

On 5/21/2021 at 5:49 AM, broncosfan07 said:

I think everyone knows our biggest weakness. WR, TE, and DB are definitely the strong points of the team, really like what we’ve done at WR even if we lose Patrick and Sutton next year I think Warren Jackson and Seth Williams can fill in. I think given the injury to James we have stocked up on the OL as best we can.

Defensively it’s about staying healthy as the starters I think are a top 5 defense easily. ILB is obvious the weakest spot but Johnson and Jewel are solid enough to allow us to fill other needs first before addressing ILB. What worries me the most coaching and QB aside is depth and ST. McManus and Martin are good but our coverage units have been awful going back years now and a lot of that has to do with coaching as McMahon sucks but we’ve had poor depth for a few years and it really shows on ST.

Lack of depth really hurt us last year. I think we've solved that at WR, IOL, OT, QB and DB. Maybe RB also. I'm not quite sold on the front 7 on D. They just look really thin to me.

I just expect a playoff team I think we're like 5 youngest team in the league so we should be good knock on wood on the injury front. I think we're deep at a lot of areas even Malik reed getting those reps last year was huge ,. Middle linebacker I think we got pretty deep with adding Stnard and the third round pick this year. Secondary is the position that we overhauled the most I think the defense wants more turnovers that will go such a long way I love Champ Baileys endorsement of Lock. If Juedy fixes the drops and improves along with Sutton coming back I see two to three wins right there. Javonte Williams will pay dividends in pass protection being a well versed back short area burst and quickness and contact balance will be huge. Melvin Gordon may get you wins over the Jets and such but he'll cost you some games also titans I think that's huge we made that position more stable.

Hated Shurmers calls at the end of the Steelers games going empty was a horrible idea could be personel related. 

I love Manning's endorsement with Lock I don't think he puts his neck out or forehead out for someone he doesn't believe in so I'm super excited to see which Lock shows up if his off-season is any indicament I think he's got a shot at comeback player of the year may put some sheckels on that post June second if ya know what I mean .

I also think a healthy fsnt is huge I mean he dominated that Steelers game and that's one of the best young middle linebackers in the game I think he is the wild card along with Lock because he's a chess piece not many teams have .

Last place schedule I think we got a 9 win team as the floor but a 12 win team if a lot of things go right and that doesn't necessarily have to be aquiring Rodgers.

39 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

The title of the thread is 'what have we got' - the answer is pretty much everything we need except a QB

SB Contender with A- or better QB play

Playoff team with B- or better QB play

Fast track to mediocrity (and outside of 2022 R1 QB territory) with C+ or worse QB play

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

The title of the thread is 'what have we got' - the answer is pretty much everything we need except a QB

Look, every f**king thread we've got has been high jacked to whine about QB's we don't have. Can't we just talk about the team?

Now, imagine, just for a minute, that Paton, Fangio,the coaching staff and scouts know a little bit more about the game than we fans. Hard to imagine, I know. 

Now, realize that their jobs are dependent on the success of this team. That being the case, do you really think they would have passed on Fields if they thought he was the g** d**ned answer?

Anyway, I'll just consider this another f**king thread highjacked to whine about Fields or Watson or Rodgers or, I don't know gotta be somebody else. 

52 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Look, every f**king thread we've got has been high jacked to whine about QB's we don't have. Can't we just talk about the team?

Now, imagine, just for a minute, that Paton, Fangio,the coaching staff and scouts know a little bit more about the game than we fans. Hard to imagine, I know. 

Now, realize that their jobs are dependent on the success of this team. That being the case, do you really think they would have passed on Fields if they thought he was the g** d**ned answer?

Anyway, I'll just consider this another f**king thread highjacked to whine about Fields or Watson or Rodgers or, I don't know gotta be somebody else. 

No offense but the logic of “these GMs know more so we should just shut up”defeats the entire purpose of this whole forum.  

You might not like the QB talk but others aren’t comfortable wasting a potentially talented roster with mediocre QB play.  Unless we magic a 2015 level defense up does it really matter?  Isnt the goal championships?

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1nAKELZAQOkxL?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1396879150472830978|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-16020795741945077029.ampproject.net%2F2105150310000%2Fframe.html

This is a phenomenal press conference idk who saw it but man does Drew look more confident and comfortable than I ever have seen him he's also quicker at processing interview questions and doesn't use filler words as much. Rookie year he was like me after getting fried up there. I know it's little thing's but hopefully they're adding up.

4 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

No offense but the logic of “these GMs know more so we should just shut up”defeats the entire purpose of this whole forum.  

You might not like the QB talk but others aren’t comfortable wasting a potentially talented roster with mediocre QB play.  Unless we magic a 2015 level defense up does it really matter?  Isnt the goal championships?

Listen, I don't mind QB talk. I've been trying to push conversations to QB's we have. There's a lot to like there and we've obviously improved at that position over last year. 

Will it be enough? We'll have to wait and see. A lot of SB's have been won with less talent at QB than we have right now. Apparently our FO thinks we can. Why waste time barking at the moon wishing we had someone else when we haven't even given these guys a fair shot. 

The offense they've assembled looks a whole lot like the original WCO. That was designed specifically to work with physically less gifted QB's. Surround them with talent and let them make the right choices getting the right play, the right formation and distributing the ball to the playmakers. It's more mental than physical. 

29 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Listen, I don't mind QB talk. I've been trying to push conversations to QB's we have. There's a lot to like there and we've obviously improved at that position over last year. 

Will it be enough? We'll have to wait and see. A lot of SB's have been won with less talent at QB than we have right now. Apparently our FO thinks we can. Why waste time barking at the moon wishing we had someone else when we haven't even given these guys a fair shot. 

The offense they've assembled looks a whole lot like the original WCO. That was designed specifically to work with physically less gifted QB's. Surround them with talent and let them make the right choices getting the right play, the right formation and distributing the ball to the playmakers. It's more mental than physical. 

I agree which is why I think Teddy wins out.   Now do I think he’s good enough to win a SB with?   No I don’t, but I am excited about talent surrounding whoever played QB.  And if either fail (my opinion on what’ll happen) we will have a good roster of that’s being held back.

Youre not optimistic about Cushenberry, a lot of us aren’t optimistic about the QBs we do have