What have we got?

AKRNA

I agree with many of the sentiments about the QB situation and the cap it could put on a potentially great team, that said I also agree with AKRNA that not every thread needs to be centered around complaining about what we don't have or the moves we didn't make. 

• Like 5

This could be an interesting exercise to get this thread back on trackOn a scale ranging from great (5), good (4), average (3), below average (2), glaring hole (1) and unknown (?), where would you rank the Broncos in the following categories relative to the rest of the league: 

QB play
Skill position talent
Pass protection
Run blocking
Run defense
Pass rush
Pass coverage
Special teams
Coaching

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

I don't know if I'm putting lipstick on a pig with Paton regards to how he's handled the Qb situation, or I'm at the stage of acceptance with grief. But if you look at Patons other moves it's hard to not give him the benefit of the doubt there either.

Couple with the fact of the rest of the QB moves around the league it's honestly not bad at all. I exclude teams like the Jags who basically got a lottery ticket or Indy same thinking imo I Know I'm on that hill alone but Reich knows what Wentz is so do I butt. The rest of the QB moves you can poke holes in fairly easily.

Jets taking Wilson who I do love but he had a cake schedule last year played two teams in the top 25 that's a red flag to me he still oozes talent though.

Niners desperate team going all in for a qb I like but he hasn't played in a year and has few starts him and new England with Mac Jones have few starts.

Washington shocked me the most Fitz for 12 million who's so likeable but has never been to the playoffs that's a championship defense so they need him to ball.

Bears is Dalton an upgrade over Mitch at 12 million? Tried to mortgage the future bc jobs are on the line and failed. So it seems like they settled trading up for Fields very dicy situation.

And Drew second year in the system coupled with teddy who you gave a 6th for he has experience with Shurmer, and I think you're only paying him 4 million. I think that's a favorable move compared to Dalton or Fitz it's just not the sexy move.

And rams I forgot them they gave a haul up for a guy who's 33 and is starting to get compounding injuries and their left tackle is Jason elam's age lol. Oh and staffords back is chronic.

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

This could be an interesting exercise to get this thread back on trackOn a scale ranging from great (5), good (4), average (3), below average (2), glaring hole (1) and unknown (?), where would you rank the Broncos in the following categories relative to the rest of the league: 

QB play
Skill position talent
Pass protection
Run blocking
Run defense
Pass rush
Pass coverage
Special teams
Coaching

Nice breakdown. I've got the burn pit full right now and can't leave it but some of these I really want to respond to.

On 5/27/2021 at 6:30 PM, BroncoBruin said:

(This season : long term)

QB play (1:2)
Skill position talent (4:5)
Pass protection (3:4)
Run blocking (4:5)
Run defense (3:1)
Pass rush (4:2)
Pass coverage (5:4)
Special teams (3:4)
Coaching (2 - outside of Munchak) 

Offense Only

QB play   (3-?)

I can’t go below 3 here. Bridgewater is almost the definition of average, or a bit better. He’s by far the best we’ve had at the position since Manning, 2014. To me, Lock and Rypien are unknowns but have potential and both have started NFL games.

Skill position talent  (4-5)

We’ve got some serious young talent here. WR is talented and deep, TE talented but not very deep and we’ve finally got two, quality, 3 down RB’s. It’s the best, deepest, group we’ve had this century by far and probably ever.

Pass protection  (2-?)

If Bolles were to go down that 2 would become a 1. This number could go way up though with new personnel, better play calling and much better center play. It’s a big question mark.

Run blocking (4-?)

We were good at the end of last year. The sky’s kinda the limit here. Cush was pretty good moving forward last year, Bolles is the best run blocking LT in the NFL, and the entire unit played well. We don’t lose anything with Massie at RT.

If Muti and Meinerz hit their stride this unit could be awesome.

Coaching (?)

For me, this is kind of tough. As far as developing talent, position coaches, I’d say it’s about a 4. The kids always seem prepared. As far as that translating into production, well, that’s a 1 at best.  Ask me again around December.

This’ll be the 2nd year with Shurmer and his system. He’s really got a lot of talent to work with. IMO we’ve got the personnel to run a standard WCO really well. A running game and OL that should bring 7 people into the box and amazing talent at WR and TE to take advantage of single coverage.

If Shurmer can’t produce with this level of talent he needs to go.

I'd be shocked if we're not a significantly improved football team this year . Our D last year was so much bend but don't break the unit was really revamped tho if we can positively influence getting turnovers that will be a huge plus towards helping field position and can impact time of possession which we were bottom 10 last year at 22. 

The Panthers were 9th seem like a real outlier there with their results compared to most other teams in the top 10. Bridgewater Led offenses avg about two minutes more time on the field than Drew Lock led offenses this is so significant and drew had to make big strides in this area. I read today drew was working on his short game mostly teddy had a huge throw to Jeudy but also had two dropped pick sixes.

Jevonte williams should do a ton for time of possession no question to help either qb but that's what I'm following during this competition.

Bridgewater has some crazy stat we're he has only thrown multiple tds in like 3 out of 49 career starts Lock has had 3 in 18. The highest peak of this offense is under Lock unless teddy just puts on a clinic racking up time of possession.

Very curious who and how many we keep on the roster at corner this year; We have kept 6 corners the past two years. Looking at our current roster, the locks have to be Fuller, Darby, Callahan, Surtain II (4). That leaves two more spots between Ojemudia, Bassey, Dawson Jr, Motley, Vincent Jr, McCain III (6). If practice squad rules from last year continue this year, where we can protect a certain number of players each week, maybe that allows us to make sure we keep some of our depth. If I had to bet right now, I'd say we keep Ojemudia and Vincent Jr but it'll be a very interesting competition! 

2 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Very curious who and how many we keep on the roster at corner this year; We have kept 6 corners the past two years. Looking at our current roster, the locks have to be Fuller, Darby, Callahan, Surtain II (4). That leaves two more spots between Ojemudia, Bassey, Dawson Jr, Motley, Vincent Jr, McCain III (6). If practice squad rules from last year continue this year, where we can protect a certain number of players each week, maybe that allows us to make sure we keep some of our depth. If I had to bet right now, I'd say we keep Ojemudia and Vincent Jr but it'll be a very interesting competition! 

I think Motley will make it

So, it’s always an interesting argument. What exactly is the most important aspect of a championship team? Quarterback? Defense?  Whatever…………..

I’ll get a bit wordy here but these are my thoughts, developed over half a century of big time NFL fandom.

First, Quarterback isn’t an aspect, it’s a position. Granted, the most important position in the NFL, but just a position.  The most important aspects of a championship team are a top 10 or higher defense and strength at the LOS. I’ve found, and history supports it, that the old saws “defenses win championships” and “the game is won or lost at the LOS” are as accurate now as they were 50 years ago.

Winning a championship without those two is almost impossible. In fact, the only QB I’ve ever seen that actually carried his team to a SB ring was Flacco. Probably the greatest playoff run by a QB ever.

All 4 wins by the Mannings were defensively driven. Big Ben only won a ring with the 1st and 3rd rated defense. Wilson had the #1 defense. Brady never won a ring without a top 10 D. Rodgers needed the 2nd ranked D in the league to get his ring.

Pat Mahomes looked unbeatable until his OL got thrashed,  completely outplayed at the LOS.

Where I’m going with this is what type of team we’re developing. I’m pretty pleased. Fangio has some excellent tools   to work with and our OL has the capability of being dominant. Looking at our DL and LB groups, teams need to get positive yards on 1st down. This could be the toughest group in the NFL to throw against.

Looks to me like we’ve gone “old school” in our team development. If our OL can force 7 people in the box to stop our running game we’ll be a really tough out. We’ve just got too many electric players, game changers, at the skill positions, for a DC to deal with. Sutton, Fant, Juedy (who by the way, @broncobruin mentioned), can’t be covered, Hamler, Patrick……………

Guys, all our QB has to do is get us in the right formation and get the ball to the right guy.  I think Teddy will do that just fine. It’ll probably take Drew a while to realize that’s all it takes from the QB spot.

Anyway, agree or disagree, it’s a forum and it’s all fun. Just figured I’d toss in the thoughts of a 70 yo fan. Just turned 70 two days ago by the way. Never thought I’d finish 7 decades. Yah f**king hoo!

• Like 2