What have we got?

AKRNA

I'm starting to get a bit excited about our OL, not just for this year but the future.

Pretty hard to beat our OT's. Bolles IMO is the best overall LT in the league and the best at run blocking. Massie is a solid RT and best in the run game. Anderson is the first legitimate swing OT we've had since Chris Clarke.

IOL is where it gets fun. Glasgow and Risner are solid journeyman at OG but have serious competition behind them. This group of Muti, Meinerz and Cush are pretty formidable. We seem to have picked out the perfect size for IOL guys. 10 years ago 310lbs was about the maximum a guy could weigh and still move well enough to play. Now it peaks at about 320. Meinerx, Muti and Cush are all in the 315-320 range. Muti is the strongest man in the league with Meinerz close behind, especially in the lower body. Cush is a lower body strong guy but has some lateral issues. Meinerz laterally tests around Bolles range. Unreal for a guy his size. He's also a really violent O Lineman. I love those guys.

We've never had this kind of strong depth on the IOL. By next year I'd think our starting OL would look something like this:

LT- Bolles

LG- Muti

C- Meinerz

RG- Cush

RT- #1 draft pick

Given our skill position talent a QB just has to make the smart decisions. Our OL, the way I've listed it, would be a dominant run blocking unit. Bring 7 into the box as a DC or get run over all day long. Single up on our WR's and TE's and get torched deep all day long.

I love the way they're building this team.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I'm starting to get a bit excited about our OL, not just for this year but the future.

Pretty hard to beat our OT's. Bolles IMO is the best overall LT in the league and the best at run blocking. Massie is a solid RT and best in the run game. Anderson is the first legitimate swing OT we've had since Chris Clarke.

IOL is where it gets fun. Glasgow and Risner are solid journeyman at OG but have serious competition behind them. This group of Muti, Meinerz and Cush are pretty formidable. We seem to have picked out the perfect size for IOL guys. 10 years ago 310lbs was about the maximum a guy could weigh and still move well enough to play. Now it peaks at about 320. Meinerx, Muti and Cush are all in the 315-320 range. Muti is the strongest man in the league with Meinerz close behind, especially in the lower body. Cush is a lower body strong guy but has some lateral issues. Meinerz laterally tests around Bolles range. Unreal for a guy his size. He's also a really violent O Lineman. I love those guys.

We've never had this kind of strong depth on the IOL. By next year I'd think our starting OL would look something like this:

LT- Bolles

LG- Muti

C- Meinerz

RG- Cush

RT- #1 draft pick

Given our skill position talent a QB just has to make the smart decisions. Our OL, the way I've listed it, would be a dominant run blocking unit. Bring 7 into the box as a DC or get run over all day long. Single up on our WR's and TE's and get torched deep all day long.

I love the way they're building this team.

Cush over Risner seems off to me, Risner looks like he has Pro Bowl potential while Cushenberry struggled in his 1st year, albeit at C

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Cush over Risner seems off to me, Risner looks like he has Pro Bowl potential while Cushenberry struggled in his 1st year, albeit at C

So, unless Risner rebounds from a lousy year last year I doubt he signs another contract here. I put Cush there because at LG his mobility isn't as big an issue. 

Bottom line, Muti, Meinerz and Cush all want to play. It'll be hard to keep them off the field and both Muti and Meinerz played a lot of LG. Risner shouldn't get comfortable.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

So, unless Risner rebounds from a lousy year last year I doubt he signs another contract here. I put Cush there because at LG his mobility isn't as big an issue. 

Bottom line, Muti, Meinerz and Cush all want to play. It'll be hard to keep them off the field and both Muti and Meinerz played a lot of LG. Risner shouldn't get comfortable.

Risner had a better 2nd half of the season than 1st, but if your dismissing the season Cushenberry had, you’re fooling yourself. Check where Cush was rated as a C and you’ll see why they drafted Meinerz. Granted, Cush was a rookie, and I don’t want to come across as a Cush-basher but I have a lot more faith in Risner than you appear to.

12 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Risner had a better 2nd half of the season than 1st, but if your dismissing the season Cushenberry had, you’re fooling yourself. Check where Cush was rated as a C and you’ll see why they drafted Meinerz. Granted, Cush was a rookie, and I don’t want to come across as a Cush-basher but I have a lot more faith in Risner than you appear to.

Cush was absolutely awful. Not arguing that at all. Just hoping really he could play well at OG. Also, notice that I was talking about a 2022 lineup, not this year. 

I know he was hurt last year but Risner needs to bring it up a notch. He's got talent behind him and becomes a UFA after next year. You don't re-sign OG's to FA deals if you've got developed talent behind them. 

Risners serviceable. Just not playing at a level that would get him an extension.

3 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

I believe Risner is under contract for this year and next

Yeah, he is. I think Paton will start going the BB route with 2nd contracts though. That being, either extend or trade players entering their contract year. If Risner really steps it up and plays at a pro-bowl level ( which I would love by the way ) re-sign him to a team friendly extension, much like Bolles. If not and the younger guys are really pushing for time, trade him and get some value. 

23 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Anyone shocked Vic mentioned Kendall as turning heads at wr? I just wasn't taking him too serious there maybe I should.

I certainly wasn't expecting him to stick as a WR. I'm still not, but at the same time, if Hinton has some WR chops, might not be the worst to have an occasional gadget player to use. We haven't had someone like that in a long time.

6 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I certainly wasn't expecting him to stick as a WR. I'm still not, but at the same time, if Hinton has some WR chops, might not be the worst to have an occasional gadget player to use. We haven't had someone like that in a long time.

I think he deserves a spot after what he had to endure last year. Certainly shows he is a team guy.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Even Drew praised his routes and the way he plucks the ball out of the air but.i agree Drew was praising cleveland in his presser too .

21 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

If a big-time wr goes down around the NFL which one would we trade Patrick? We're so deep there.

An interesting suggestion.

I guess the complication is the fact a new deal would likely have to be agreed by the new team with Patrick. He doesn't really have enough production in the NFL to garner trade compensation without a new deal being agreed.

If our Coaching staff deems even 1 of our WRs low on the depth chart to be worthy of Offensive snaps, then we really are loaded at WR.

I think the main reason we'd want to not trade Patrick is the uncertainty of Courtland Sutton's health. Sutton is going to be on snap restrictions throughout the preseason and camp, so we aren't going to fully know the extent of his rehab until a few weeks into the season.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

An interesting suggestion.

I guess the complication is the fact a new deal would likely have to be agreed by the new team with Patrick. He doesn't really have enough production in the NFL to garner trade compensation without a new deal being agreed.

If our Coaching staff deems even 1 of our WRs low on the depth chart to be worthy of Offensive snaps, then we really are loaded at WR.

I think the main reason we'd want to not trade Patrick is the uncertainty of Courtland Sutton's health. Sutton is going to be on snap restrictions throughout the preseason and camp, so we aren't going to fully know the extent of his rehab until a few weeks into the season.

I would also think we won't fetch more for Patrick via trade than we might get as a comp pick? Patrick is going to have a big role on this team I think. He's a sure handed guy with a big frame in the red zone. He'll be a hot commodity next offseason (won't be here).

Our WR corps is loaded though. Sutton/Jeudy/Patrick/Hamler/Cleveland is as good as any group in the league in terms of pure talent/potential. 

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I would also think we won't fetch more for Patrick via trade than we might get as a comp pick? Patrick is going to have a big role on this team I think. He's a sure handed guy with a big frame in the red zone. He'll be a hot commodity next offseason (won't be here).

Our WR corps is loaded though. Sutton/Jeudy/Patrick/Hamler/Cleveland is as good as any group in the league in terms of pure talent/potential. 

I'm not sure we'd get a comp pick for him. He won't get near as many targets this year I wouldn't think. Hard to imagine much in compensation fora rotational WR.

It does make you wonder though, what's a 6'4", 212 lb WR, worth. He's only had one solid year, but showed big time potential. On jump balls he's kind of an 80/20 guy and didn't have one drop last year. 

Personally I don't think you'd trade him unless someone offered really high compensation. As a 3rd/4th WR he's a very cheap/quality insurance policy.

• Like 1