What have we got?

AKRNA

On 6/18/2021 at 2:10 PM, AKRNA said:

I'm not sure we'd get a comp pick for him. He won't get near as many targets this year I wouldn't think. Hard to imagine much in compensation fora rotational WR.

It does make you wonder though, what's a 6'4", 212 lb WR, worth. He's only had one solid year, but showed big time potential. On jump balls he's kind of an 80/20 guy and didn't have one drop last year. 

Personally I don't think you'd trade him unless someone offered really high compensation. As a 3rd/4th WR he's a very cheap/quality insurance policy.

I also think we need to talk about how good the Broncos are at drafting WRs....especially in the past 20ish years.

Rod Smith-----> Ashley Lelie ------> Brandon Marshall--->Demaryius Thomas------->Courtland Sutton

Eric Decker-------->Jerry Jeudy

Eddie Royal------>KJ Hamler

You also throw in the likes of guys like Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Emmanuel Sanders, Tim Patrick, ect and its just sort of insane that they have never really NOT had a really good WR unit for as long as I can remember.

It also shows the Broncos are not at all afraid to spend high draft picks on the WR position. Nearly all of those guys were 1st-3rd round picks.

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 6/18/2021 at 2:10 PM, AKRNA said:

I'm not sure we'd get a comp pick for him. He won't get near as many targets this year I wouldn't think. Hard to imagine much in compensation fora rotational WR.

It does make you wonder though, what's a 6'4", 212 lb WR, worth. He's only had one solid year, but showed big time potential. On jump balls he's kind of an 80/20 guy and didn't have one drop last year. 

Personally I don't think you'd trade him unless someone offered really high compensation. As a 3rd/4th WR he's a very cheap/quality insurance policy.

I wouldn't trade him necessarily, but a comp pick is going to be dictated by what someone is willing to pay him if we let him walk. I don't think Patrick would get major money, but I think he's a talented WR that can win jump balls, has reliable hands, and importantly, not a lot of mileage on him. If he gets a decent contract (assuming no major offsets on our side), could easily see a 5th round comp for him or something.

20 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I also think we need to talk about how good the Broncos are at drafting WRs....especially in the past 20ish years.

Rod Smith-----> Ashley Lelie ------> Brandon Marshall--->Demaryius Thomas------->Courtland Sutton

Eric Decker-------->Jerry Jeudy

Eddie Royal------>KJ Hamler

You also throw in the likes of guys like Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Emmanuel Sanders, Tim Patrick, ect and its just sort of insane that they have never really NOT had a really good WR unit for as long as I can remember.

It also shows the Broncos are not at all afraid to spend high draft picks on the WR position. Nearly all of those guys were 1st-3rd round picks.

Small correction - Rod Smith was undrafted - as was Patrick (who was with the Ravens and 49ers before signing with the Broncos) - and the Broncos didn't draft Welker, Lloyd or Sanders. On top of that Lelie was meah - and a couple of years earlier the Broncos drafted Marcus Nash in the first round (and he caught all of 4 passes for the Broncos in his two years with the team).

Now - the upside is that Elway has done a good job of drafting WRs (and TEs) over the past 2/3 years.

5 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Small correction - Rod Smith was undrafted - as was Patrick (who was with the Ravens and 49ers before signing with the Broncos) - and the Broncos didn't draft Welker, Lloyd or Sanders. On top of that Lelie was meah - and a couple of years earlier the Broncos drafted Marcus Nash in the first round (and he caught all of 4 passes for the Broncos in his two years with the team).

Now - the upside is that Elway has done a good job of drafting WRs (and TEs) over the past 2/3 years.

Elway does love some tight ends

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I'd almost forgotten about Decker. I always liked him. I just can't think of another WR that tripped over more chalk lines though.

• 2 weeks later...

I know we're loaded at wr but Sutton is in a contract year coming off injury, hamler has been meh so far  and Patrick probably walks. Drew can sling it deep and nkeal harry has great deep ball ability untapped in new England. I am super interested depending the price I always admire the anquan boldin deep threat contested catch like ability. Plus the altitude could make that dynamite in the post season.

56 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I know we're loaded at wr but Sutton is in a contract year coming off injury, hamler has been meh so far  and Patrick probably walks. Drew can sling it deep and nkeal harry has great deep ball ability untapped in new England. I am super interested depending the price I always admire the anquan boldin deep threat contested catch like ability. Plus the altitude could make that dynamite in the post season.

We already have 15 WR's in camp, under contract. Are you suggesting we add another?

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

We already have 15 WR's in camp, under contract. Are you suggesting we add another?

Good teams plan ahead his skill set would fit here and we have one of best wr coaches in the game. I'm saying it should be a topic of convo and wouldn't be opposed of it for the right price. 

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Good teams plan ahead his skill set would fit here and we have one of best wr coaches in the game. I'm saying it should be a topic of convo and wouldn't be opposed of it for the right price. 

What about Harry has impressed you since he's been in the NFL, his name, his draft position ?? Right now I'd take Jeudy's evaluation of Hinton over what I've seen from Harry.

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

What about Harry has impressed you since he's been in the NFL, his name, his draft position ?? Right now I'd take Jeudy's evaluation of Hinton over what I've seen from Harry.

Jeudy I agree I don't think an injury plagued rookie year in a complicated offense to learn guys like Reggie Wayne and Chad Johnson struggled in is fair to evaluate the guy and a noddle arm cam Newton whose a hollow shell of mvp 2015. Come on let's be fair here. 

I agree with Jeudy lay off the devil's lettuce on Hinton. Harry's pro comp was a more potential Kenny Britt which is crazy and he was drafted over guys like AJ Brown for a reason. The fit with New England was terrible it all depends on price to me .

On 7/4/2021 at 3:39 AM, thebestever6 said:

WOW according to off we have the 10th most talented roster in the league it should be a fun season if their prediction holds true 

This is why I don’t think Denver is done at QB.  This is a talented roster capable of winning a SB at every position…….except QB.  

Rodgers or Watson (if we are putting the legal stuff aside) instantly makes Denver a SB contender for at minimum the next 3 years.  Lock and Bridgewater make this team mediocre and probably missing the playoffs.

I don’t know if the word “fun” is what I would consider a year like we are looking at if it’s Lock/Bridgewater under center, the word for me would be frustrating watching a talented team finish with a mediocre record. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

This is why I don’t think Denver is done at QB.  This is a talented roster capable of winning a SB at every position…….except QB.  

Rodgers or Watson (if we are putting the legal stuff aside) instantly makes Denver a SB contender for at minimum the next 3 years.  Lock and Bridgewater make this team mediocre and probably missing the playoffs.

I don’t know if the word “fun” is what I would consider a year like we are looking at if it’s Lock/Bridgewater under center, the word for me would be frustrating watching a talented team finish with a mediocre record. 

I agree. I think Watson is too toxic and that ship has sailed. I do think trading for Aaron is a real possibility, I haven't wavered on that since draft day. 

I'll be perfectly frank, absent landing Rodgers, I think Vic/Shurmur will go with Teddy at QB, which means a wasted season. If Teddy is announced as the starter before week 1, I'll immediately set my sights on 2022 with a new owner, a new head coach and, hopefully, a rookie QB. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

I just think you're really overvaluing the QB position. 

First Id say a great defense is far more important than offense. Probably 55/45. History backs that up.

OL would be about 40% of your offense. Without a good OL you're offense won't be good enough ever, regardless of QB. The game is still won or lost in the trenches. Split the remaining 60% value between skill players and QB at 30/30.

There are the very rare outliers at QB, the selfless guys like Brady, true leaders that raise the level of the entire teams play. Rodgers isn't Brady.