The o-line elephant in the room

NudeTayne

Jabrill Dr. Peppers  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Should I bump the nickname thread?

• Yes. The time is now. We need this.
    • No. We will miss NudeTayne too much after his perma-ban.

What's going on here?  Is Zeitler a FA bust?  Is Bitonio an extension bust?  Is JC Tretter a FA bust?  Even before Joe got injured today, the o-line--with Joe--looked worse than last year.  Is this Hue's scheme or the players?  For some reason, it seems like this discussion keeps getting glossed over rapidly (before we return to the never-ceasing passer discussion/Crowell sucks/Kenny Britt sucks/we need a safety/why is Jabrill Dr. Peppers so deep etc.).

Even after the injury, the feeling in the forum is that we still don't have to spend a high pick on a LTOTF.  Why not?  I know there isn't a clear top-10 dude at the moment, but we all know there will be several guys who end up in the first round.  McGlinchey?  Trey Adams?  Orlando Brown?  Who else?  To me the o-line is one of the worst units in the NFL and yes, I know we have spent a lot of money on it.

I don't see the offensive line being a problem. Early in the year they were giving up a lot of sacks, but a lot of those were on Kizer. Would like to see them improve on run blocking, though. However, to say they're one of the worst units in the league is absurd.

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This is what happens when you invest too much into one unit and not others. Don’t care how long you can block for if your WRs, TEs, and RBs can’t create separation.

While not a strength, it’s not really WRs, TEs, and RBs either. They are good enough to compete, make plays, stay in games, and win some games.  Just not good enough to take over a game.  That said, we have a round one WR and TE.  Not like we are not trying and just ignoring the positions.

2 hours ago, Don Roshi said:

And investing heavily in one unit is how you get an identity. Whether the investment is money or draft picks. Investing in the offensive line was/is the best thing to do in our situation.

And we are 0-7 as a result of us not prioritizing the passing game.

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

It’s not the o line it’s no balance Crowell 

he got 17 carries and got 30 yards

he trash 

Agreed on that trash'ness.  That said, Crowell is doing much worse than last year, and Duke is doing identical.  The eyeball test says that Duke is dynamic and often is making something out of nothing, whether rushing or receiving.  This would support the premise that our o-line is indeed a problem, as trash as Crowell is; he is the same trash as last year but with a much lower ypc.

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

And we are 0-7 as a result of us not prioritizing the passing game.

I would suggest that we prioritized the passing game by signing two o-lineman, one to a huge contract; our o-line should be better than last year.  Our receivers suck, but they did last year as well.  Pryor was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY--need more Ys to really emphasize but character limit--overrated in here.  I don't know how I am not getting more agreement here.  Our o-line looks like trash every game.  Our passers have no time.  We've given up near the most sacks in the league, and our passers are often avoiding sacks.  Sure, Kizer has taken a few from holding the ball too long, but he has also escaped a lot of free rushers within the first second or so of dropping back.  It looks like our line cannot pass block or run block effectively, so I don't know how we could be prioritizing either.  

12 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Agreed on that trash'ness.  That said, Crowell is doing much worse than last year, and Duke is doing identical.  The eyeball test says that Duke is dynamic and often is making something out of nothing, whether rushing or receiving.  This would support the premise that our o-line is indeed a problem, as trash as Crowell is; he is the same trash as last year but with a much lower ypc.

Honestly I think Crowell has gotten worse

Let's face it, the QB's are why we are 0-7. Kessler came in and did an admirable job, knew he'd be looking for Njoku, but then Joe went down and we couldn't block over there at all. The team has tried it's hand at whatever WR's they can get their hands on. Signed Britt to a nice contract probably despite knowing the risk. Prob b/c he was the only one that would sign. Drafting 4 in 16, brought in Kasen, Coates, Treggs. 

Then this year top 3 all go top 10.

There just haven't been #1 WR's available to us. Guys like Alshon, Smith, Maclin want to win. Corey has a shot to play off of Njoku and all the short shots others are getting. 

Guys like Michael Thomas, Kupp, Zay, Juju wouldn't give us anything more than what's offered by the committee we have in Duke, Seth, Hig, Louis, Kasen. 

Our guys gotta step up and if they don't '18 at least has some very good #2's that look like they can play right away and provide some consistency.

Archived