Hot take: TB deserves the most credit for Tampa's 2020 title

notthatbluestuff

Todd Bowles, that is.

His defense had turned into a monster by the time the playoffs rolled around. Brady put up good numbers but he really didn't have to do all that much. That roster was set; all the pieces were there. They were a QB away - Brady gave them that, and then some. But as far as this idea I'm seeing in some circles (not necessarily here) that the SB win proves he could win a title "anywhere" - that I don't buy. Anywhere - as long as the defense is monstrous, OL is among the league's best, and pass catching corps is elite (even before adding Gronk and AB). 

Bowles' defense combined at every level to form the stuff of nightmares against KC's depleted line - and the team wouldn't have been there at all if the defense hadn't bailed Brady out in the NFC title game (he threw 3 picks in the second half). 

Brady chose his landing spot wisely and undoubtedly instilled a missing sense of belief and leadership - but Bowles' defense holds the key to whether or not they'll repeat in 2021. 

• Like 4

If you’re isolating the SB game on its own, yes, and I don’t think that’s a hot take at all. It’s a conclusion I think most drew up before the game ended - if you could give SB MVP to more than one person, it’d have been the defense (and Bowles as the spearhead of that). 

2020 as a whole? Give Tom his due.

• Like 4

Bowles is a defensive genius. I remember telling GB packer fans what was going to happen double Adams and let everyone else beat you, and look what happened.

The Chiefs gameplan was also great. I will def remember this SB run with defensive efforts moreso than our O.

• Like 1

The way his D held Taylor Heinicke to 23 points was epic.

• 23 points per game in the 3 playoff games leading to the Super Bowl was some 1985 Bears level dominance. (give or take 59 points)
  • His "Let Rodgers get to the 8 and then hopefully he will choke" game plan should go into the Hall of Fame.
  • His "Lets make sure KC has no real OTs" game plan was truly masterful.
    • Did he have to borrow Ernie Adams to come up with a strategy to pressure a team who's O-line has fallen apart?

I can't remember the name of Brad Johnson 2.0's former coach in NE because Bowles is so incredible.

• Its not like Jason Licht got him all those great players.
  • I think JPP and Shaq, Suh, David, and White should give some of their money to Bowles for the privilege of working with the guy

I know Bowles true greatness really shone through when his Ds were bottom 4 in points in 4 of his 10 seasons as HC/DC.

Bowles as SB MVP might age as well as Pederson as LII MVP

Disagree, Brady was the main ingredient. The defense and Bowels were clearly MVP of the playoffs, but that’s the story of every playoffs, defenses dominate. Sometimes an offense dominates on their way to a ring like the 2019 Chiefs, and 2012 Flacco having a tremendous postseason, but defenses are always the key to success in the playoffs. And it’s not like either of those defenses were bad. 

If we look at 2020 as a whole, Tom Brady was the most important ingredient. That team wouldn’t of made the playoffs without him. He had a tremendous Top 6 QB season, my personal choice for #5 on MVP Lists, and more than likely completely changed the culture of that Tampa Bay locker room. Also, he brought his own offensive system from the Patriots to use in Tampa. That was not Arians system, it was a Pats/Arians hybrid system. There was no way they were winning a Super Bowl if Brady had to learn a brand new offenses with zero blending. 

He also brought in key guys to Tampa that likely don’t go there if it’s anyone but Tom Brady. 

Brady was the most important part of the 2020 Buccaneers. 

• Like 1

As a bucs fan for most of the season other than the playoffs and the packers regular season game, alot of Bowles defensive schemes were terrible, and what didnt work in the season he didnt use for the playoffs, and he had a great gameplan for each playoff game and was a big reason we won the SB.

But Bruce Arians deserves way more credit, how he was able to handle fournettes pouting during the regular season and then turned him into a monster for the playoffs, as well as handing AB without causing any in locker room drama is incredible. 

Lets be real tho, when u add winners into your locker room with Gronk and Brady, everyone steps their game up another level, i dont think Devin White wouldnt have done as well if brady wasnt there same for half of our defense, brady just brought the winning mentality to the whole team something we havent had since we last won the SB.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The way his D held Taylor Heinicke to 23 points was epic.

• 23 points per game in the 3 playoff games leading to the Super Bowl was some 1985 Bears level dominance. (give or take 59 points)
  • His "Let Rodgers get to the 8 and then hopefully he will choke" game plan should go into the Hall of Fame.
  • His "Lets make sure KC has no real OTs" game plan was truly masterful.
    • Did he have to borrow Ernie Adams to come up with a strategy to pressure a team who's O-line has fallen apart?

I can't remember the name of Brad Johnson 2.0's former coach in NE because Bowles is so incredible.

• Its not like Jason Licht got him all those great players.
  • I think JPP and Shaq, Suh, David, and White should give some of their money to Bowles for the privilege of working with the guy

I know Bowles true greatness really shone through when his Ds were bottom 4 in points in 4 of his 10 seasons as HC/DC.

Bowles as SB MVP might age as well as Pederson as LII MVP

Lol. "Belichick sucks - he had a losing record in Cleveland." 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Disagree, Brady was the main ingredient. The defense and Bowels were clearly MVP of the playoffs, but that’s the story of every playoffs, defenses dominate. Sometimes an offense dominates on their way to a ring like the 2019 Chiefs, and 2012 Flacco having a tremendous postseason, but defenses are always the key to success in the playoffs. And it’s not like either of those defenses were bad. 

If we look at 2020 as a whole, Tom Brady was the most important ingredient. That team wouldn’t of made the playoffs without him. He had a tremendous Top 6 QB season, my personal choice for #5 on MVP Lists, and more than likely completely changed the culture of that Tampa Bay locker room. Also, he brought his own offensive system from the Patriots to use in Tampa. That was not Arians system, it was a Pats/Arians hybrid system. There was no way they were winning a Super Bowl if Brady had to learn a brand new offenses with zero blending. 

He also brought in key guys to Tampa that likely don’t go there if it’s anyone but Tom Brady. 

Brady was the most important part of the 2020 Buccaneers. 

7-9 the previous year with the guy who threw 30 picks - do we not think that any QB in the top 10 range or so would've at least got them to the playoffs? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

7-9 the previous year with the guy who threw 30 picks - do we not think that any QB in the top 10 range or so would've at least got them to the playoffs? 

I’m sure a decent QB could of got them to 9-7, but overall, I think the Pats and Arians system helped them a lot. Arians system is always massively turnover prone.