Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

16 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Not looking as good as last years class but Rattler seems intriguing. Willis looks like an interesting project QB. 

Not a big Slovis fan at all. Jury is still out on Howell for me, need to see him play more this year. 

Why don't you like Slovis? I'm sure there will be a big riser during the season like we saw with Burrow and Wilson the last two drafts. JT Daniels could potentially be that guy with a big year at Georgia. 

Guys that look like they could be 1st round picks: 

• Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma

• Sam Howell, North Carolina

• Kedon Slovis, USC

• Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati 

• Malik Willis, Liberty

• JT Daniels, Georgia

• Tyler Shough, Texas Tech

• Like 1

I've been a sucker for project QB's lately. Willis is closing in as my way-to-early, very subject to change, QB1 of this draft so far. What a skillset. Such a superb arm, superb window placement, power runner, dog, good pocket movement, good speed, he is basically the total package. Obviously such a mystery and classic boom or bust from a school like Liberty though. I'm not afraid of boom or bust guys. Today's NFL, project QB's end up working in this pass friendly league. Mahomes worked (air raid QB's were 0 for 16 before Mahomes), Allen worked, and I fully expect both Love and Lance to work. 

That arm on Willis is soooo nice. 

He would need a year on the bench though just like Lance. 

Could see:

1st Year: Bench

2nd Year: Rough/Slightly Below Average

3rd Year: Good

4th Year til end of career: Monster

With that said, jury is still out on Willis. It's hard to make a judgment on any of these guys this early. He could be my #1 come next years draft, or he could not even be a Top 2 Round Pick. Need to see more. 

With that said, I'd have everyone behind Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, and Fields so far. 

I'm excited to see how Ridder does this year. I thought he might have snuck into the 1st round if he came out last year. He's got a lot of potential. Big arm, good athleticism, great size(especially in the year of the shorter QB prospect). I think he's in the mix to go at the top of the draft. Also quote this when he goes undrafted next year lol

2 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Is this going to be the most wide open a QB race for QB1?  I don't remember a year where we didn't have 2-3 real strong contenders heading into the summer.  Could be really fun to watch as stocks rise and fall.

How are Spencer Rattler and Sam Howell not real strong contenders?   I would be very surprised if those two are not easily the first two QBs taken in the draft.  

Will be fun to watch Malik Willis play this year but not ready to crown him just yet.  Willis is obviously a great running QB and is a hell of a weapon in college but not sure he is some Lamar Jackson type you build an offense around and is not quite the elite athlete Lamar Jackson was either.  

But sure it is wide open some what in terms of who knows who will breakout at QB and really take it to another level like Joe Burrow, or Mac Jones or Zach Wilson over the past few years.    In terms of guys who could be poised to take their play to another level, I would say guys like Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix, Phil Jurkovec, Dorian Thompson-Robinson and maybe D'Eriq King even though King showed a lot of progress last year will see if he can take another jump up.  Any of them becoming 1st round picks would be a surprise though but could say the same for Joe Burrow, Mac Jones and Zach Wilson.  

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

How are Spencer Rattler and Sam Howell not real strong contenders?   I would be very surprised if those two are not easily the first two QBs taken in the draft.  

Will be fun to watch Malik Willis play this year but not ready to crown him just yet.  Willis is obviously a great running QB and is a hell of a weapon in college but not sure he is some Lamar Jackson type you build an offense around and is not quite the elite athlete Lamar Jackson was either.  

But sure it is wide open some what in terms of who knows who will breakout at QB and really take it to another level like Joe Burrow, or Mac Jones or Zach Wilson over the past few years.    In terms of guys who could be poised to take their play to another level, I would say guys like Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix, Phil Jurkovec, Dorian Thompson-Robinson and maybe D'Eriq King even though King showed a lot of progress last year will see if he can take another jump up.  Any of them becoming 1st round picks would be a surprise though but could say the same for Joe Burrow, Mac Jones and Zach Wilson.  

I don't view Willis as the run threat Lamar is, I don't think anyone catch come close to Lamar/Murray in that department. However, Willis is definitely a better pure passer than Lamar was in college. I see Willis having the potential to be a more complete player. I'm not ready to crown him yet either as a prospect, he needs to perform in 2021, but he is emerging as my early favorite. He definitely has every tool you want in a QB, he is literally missing nothing. He can throw in a tight window, he is a major dual threat, he has good pocket presence, he has okish accuracy, and his arm is better than anyone in the 2021 Draft Class that we just had, better than Lance and Lawrence. He needs to work on mechanics and his overall accuracy but he's the next project QB coming to a theater near you.... people will hate him like they did Lance, Love, Allen, Mahomes, and Lamar, but this guy's toolset is pretty unbelievable. 

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I don't view Willis as the run threat Lamar is, I don't think anyone catch come close to Lamar/Murray in that department. However, Willis is definitely a better pure passer than Lamar was in college. I see Willis having the potential to be a more complete player. I'm not ready to crown him yet either as a prospect, he needs to perform in 2021, but he is emerging as my early favorite. He definitely has every tool you want in a QB, he is literally missing nothing. He can throw in a tight window, he is a major dual threat, he has good pocket presence, he has okish accuracy, and his arm is better than anyone in the 2021 Draft Class that we just had, better than Lance and Lawrence. He needs to work on mechanics and his overall accuracy but he's the next project QB coming to a theater near you.... people will hate him like they did Lance, Love, Allen, Mahomes, and Lamar, but this guy's toolset is pretty unbelievable. 

Better arm than Trey Lance or Trevor Lawrence?  That includes Fields and Wilson as well?  Better than anyone in the 2021 draft class?  I do not see that at all, his arm is just ok and some of his passes have a pretty bad wobble on it, not a super tight spiral and his pocket mechanics are nothing great either.  Sure has some arm strength but I seriously doubt he could make the throws Trey Lance did at that Pro day much less all those other guys.  

Will see how he does, but to me I view him as a running QB who can scramble and throw the ball on the move, to say his ability to run is not a huge reason for his success last year, well to me it absolutely was.  Say his running ability was taken away next year, he would simply not be the same QB at all.  He cannot just stand back in the pocket and make quick accuracy throws to beat a football team.  He has to move and scramble and pick up yards with his arm and legs in an offense that is pretty unique, that Freeze offensive system sure made Chad Kelly and Bo Wallace on Ole Miss looked like decent QBs and both were effective as runners and passers and neither one is even close to the same level athelte Willis is.

Willis has a ways to go to become an elite level QB prospect but yeah will be interesting to see how he looks this year.  And I disagree that Willis was a better pure passer than Lamar, sure maybe early in his career but Lamar as a JR was pretty decent at throwing the football compared to what he was as a freshman.  Mind you Willis will be what a senior this up coming year and came into college football in 2017, has taken him a little while to get there.  Is fun to watch no doubt.  

Mind you Trey Lance in 16 games at NDSU in 2019 had 287 passing attempts, Willis in 10 games had 265 attempts in a much more QB friendly offensive system during a pandemic with few if anyone in the stands.  So Willis had way more chances to throw and show his arm unlike Trey Lance who was in a far more ball controlled run centered offense.  Only real chance he got to let it rip was in that pro day.