Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Playing at Wyoming and Utah State absolutely hindered their perceptions. That's really all there is to it. Mac Jones doesn't go 15th if he doesn't play at Alabama. If he was at Nevada, like Strong, he's a day 2 pick, at best. Not sure how this is even arguable.

Mac Jones went high because he was highly productive even if his tools were lackluster.  Same reason Hurts went high.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Supply and demand.

Fine. Give me guys that are better than Strong in this class then. Guys you think offer significantly more upside that aren't completely flawed prospects in their own right? Guys that you'd put your career on the line for because that's what you're going to do if you invest in Rattler or Howell.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Mac Jones went high because he was highly productive even if his tools were lackluster.  Same reason Hurts went high.

Neither QB goes high if they don't play for Alabama and Oklahoma lol. That's the point. They were highly productive because of their environment. Why is this so difficult to grasp?

I'm not really good at comparisons or anything, but Kenny Pickett (awful last name for a QB lol) from Pitt kinda reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick's game. Elements of plus athleticism and risk taking, but has other reps where he manipulates the pocket resets squares up and fires between zones. His release looks compact and fast enough and looks like its NFL caliber, but not like high round. I think he'll be a decent backup for a mid-late pick maybe. I think he'd be a good reserve for like Herbert or Tannehill.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:19 PM, beekay414 said:

Neither QB goes high if they don't play for Alabama and Oklahoma lol. That's the point. They were highly productive because of their environment. Why is this so difficult to grasp?

None of these QBs would go high unless the position was overvalued.  Does anyone see any of these QBs as day 1 starters or even season 1 starters?  All of them need some work.

On 10/3/2021 at 12:14 PM, beekay414 said:

Playing at Wyoming and Utah State absolutely hindered their perceptions. That's really all there is to it. Mac Jones doesn't go 15th if he doesn't play at Alabama. If he was at Nevada, like Strong, he's a day 2 pick, at best. Not sure how this is even arguable.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree and disagree. 

On one hand, we see "toolsy" guys from premier schools get gifted high selections year in, year out.

On the other, I would actually argue that Allen was considered worth a 1st round pick BECAUSE he played at Wyoming and it wasn't a secret he had virtually nothing to work with but his upside was ridiculous. 

On 10/3/2021 at 10:17 AM, CWood21 said:

Hurts actually has decent tools, better than Mac at least. Very athletic, mobile in the pocket, can run, pretty strong arm unlike Mac. Hurts is also great under pressure, something Tua did struggle with. Hurts, however, has absolutely horrendous mechanics, and a horrendous release. I’ve always thought he would fail badly as a NFL Starting QB, but succeed in a Taysom Hill role, even better than Taysom Hill. I wanted him in the 3rd Round for that purpose. 

On 10/5/2021 at 1:17 AM, Trojan said:

I'm not really good at comparisons or anything, but Kenny Pickett (awful last name for a QB lol) from Pitt kinda reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick's game. Elements of plus athleticism and risk taking, but has other reps where he manipulates the pocket resets squares up and fires between zones. His release looks compact and fast enough and looks like its NFL caliber, but not like high round. I think he'll be a decent backup for a mid-late pick maybe. I think he'd be a good reserve for like Herbert or Tannehill.

I've been noting that Pickett's numbers are way up. He's always been a 7 YPA guy but this year above 10 YPA so far. Still early. I'll be surprised if it sustains in that range. But when numbers jump exponentially like that it almost always means legitimate improvement and the prospect already rated higher than the subjective consensus.

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Hurts actually has decent tools, better than Mac at least. Very athletic, mobile in the pocket, can run, pretty strong arm unlike Mac. Hurts is also great under pressure, something Tua did struggle with. Hurts, however, has absolutely horrendous mechanics, and a horrendous release. I’ve always thought he would fail badly as a NFL Starting QB, but succeed in a Taysom Hill role, even better than Taysom Hill. I wanted him in the 3rd Round for that purpose. 

Hurts was a positional change until he got to Oklahoma.  And that's not a knock on Hurts.  He just wasn't a good QB prospect at Alabama.  And you can probably blame some of that on Nick Saban basically making sure that Hurts didn't turn the ball over.  But he wasn't a guy you were overly concerned about him beating you by throwing the ball.  The whole Hurts/Tua situation was like playing your HS senior because he's less likely to make a mistake.  But either way, Hurts got drafted as high as he did because of the difference from Alabama to Oklahoma.  He still wasn't a good prospect, but people saw the jump he made from when he was at Alabama to when he was at Oklahoma.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:29 AM, beekay414 said:

Lynch couldn't read a defense to save his life and played with some nice talent at Memphis. Strong is playing with a bunch of scrubs (@NYRaider) and is still impressing on tape. I get that we all look for different things, and that's the beauty of scouching (which is what we do lol), but the only similarities between Lynch and Strong are that they are tall white dudes that played for mid-majors. Other than that, they are nothing alike.

Strong definitely has a good, not great arm and the two times I watched he made some impressive NFL level throws. The only two concerns that I have with him are: 1) his lack of mobility & 2) the concerns about his knee. Pretty rare for pure pocket passers to succeed in the current NFL. 

@CWood21 made a great point about him, when you look around the current NFL, how many guys with his skill-set are lighting it up?

Ridder has grown on me.

31 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Hurts was a positional change until he got to Oklahoma.  And that's not a knock on Hurts.  He just wasn't a good QB prospect at Alabama.  And you can probably blame some of that on Nick Saban basically making sure that Hurts didn't turn the ball over.  But he wasn't a guy you were overly concerned about him beating you by throwing the ball.  The whole Hurts/Tua situation was like playing your HS senior because he's less likely to make a mistake.  But either way, Hurts got drafted as high as he did because of the difference from Alabama to Oklahoma.  He still wasn't a good prospect, but people saw the jump he made from when he was at Alabama to when he was at Oklahoma.

Agreed. During Hurts tenure at Alabama the team didn't have a pass happy offense, they won with their run game and defense. As soon as Tua took over their entire offensive philosophy changed to mirror what other good programs were doing. Lincoln Riley's offense is one of the most QB friendly in college football and Hurts was good, not great, throwing the ball.