Jump to content

Official 2022 QB Thread


Recommended Posts

On 5/23/2021 at 8:45 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm excited to see how Ridder does this year. I thought he might have snuck into the 1st round if he came out last year. He's got a lot of potential. Big arm, good athleticism, great size(especially in the year of the shorter QB prospect). I think he's in the mix to go at the top of the draft. Also quote this when he goes undrafted next year lol

I think Riddler will be QB1 when it's all said and done. Riley does a great job of developing guys.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Better arm than Trey Lance or Trevor Lawrence?  That includes Fields and Wilson as well?  Better than anyone in the 2021 draft class?  I do not see that at all, his arm is just ok and some of his passes have a pretty bad wobble on it, not a super tight spiral and his pocket mechanics are nothing great either.  Sure has some arm strength but I seriously doubt he could make the throws Trey Lance did at that Pro day much less all those other guys.  

Yes, he has a better arm than all four guys. I’ve watched every throw from him and Lance. Even the guy who trained Willis, Lance, and Watson said Willis’s arm is the best and it’s not close. As a prospect, Willis is 5th for me behind those four guys, but he’s my #1 for this class so far. That’s how good the 2021 QB class was. 
 

I ranked arm strength prior to the draft in my QB Prospect Rankings in the 2021 QB Thread. I had:

1) Lance

2) Lawrence

3) Fields

4) Wilson

Lance vs Willis’s arm is definitely debatable. I was a huge fan of Lance and hugeeee fan of his arm, ask @Forge

However, I feel you are vastly underrating Willis’s arm. Watch more of him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm sure some dudes are going to rise, but this is my least liked class of QB's going into a season in a while.

Agreed.  I feel like this is a class full of EJ Manuel's, Christian Ponder's, and Blaine Gabbert's.  a lot of people considered first round picks but as a Lions fan, I am hoping Goff works out so we don't have to draft one of these guys next year.  But as you said I am sure someone will rise up and be worthy, I just dont see it right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The great aspect of this category is that it offers great clarity by midseason, when the 11 YPA range is sustained. Those guys are picked very early, no matter what it looks like subjectively. Second and 15th this year

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yes, he has a better arm than all four guys. I’ve watched every throw from him and Lance. Even the guy who trained Willis, Lance, and Watson said Willis’s arm is the best and it’s not close. As a prospect, Willis is 5th for me behind those four guys, but he’s my #1 for this class so far. That’s how good the 2021 QB class was. 
 

I ranked arm strength prior to the draft in my QB Prospect Rankings in the 2021 QB Thread. I had:

1) Lance

2) Lawrence

3) Fields

4) Wilson

Lance vs Willis’s arm is definitely debatable. I was a huge fan of Lance and hugeeee fan of his arm, ask @Forge

However, I feel you are vastly underrating Willis’s arm. Watch more of him. 

So Malik Willis is a better prospect than Trevor Lawrence?  BS on that one, and yes if you think Willis has a superior arm to all of these guys in 2021, yeah you think he is a better QB prospect than them all which is absolutely ridiculous.  But no he is not a better prospect than they are?  Umm watch Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler a bit and they will make you quickly forget about Malik Willis.  

 

Could Malik Willis make these throws? No.  Note the ball gets there quicker, more accurately and he has far better mechanics on his release.

 

678c1927-a022-45da-ae2b-21cb97d073c1_812

960FFD76-DB3E-4D46-A88D-71EEA5556F26.gif

 

 

Malik Willis vs VT, they ran the ball almost 5 times in a row to start the game, then he scrambles and almost throws an INT.  Then throws an out route that was in the dirt and not catchable.  Then threw a backwards pass for a trick play that did not work, then after that next play scrambled forward for 7 yards or so.  Sure made some fine throws in that game but the entire thing was not all amazing and he clearly is a running QB that uses his legs to create plays in the air and on the ground.  

 

His ball velocity is not that impressive and again he throws a some what wobbly football.  Does not have a tight spiral, does not have a great release either and does not seem to be all that accurate.  He is best running and trying to gain yards scrambling or making big plays in the air with the threat of running then does not and takes a shot downfield.  There is not much about his arm that is wow amazing.  

Again say he broke his leg and his great running ability was taken away when he came back off the injury.  No way does he have enough arm talent to just sit in the pocket and rip people apart.  He is simply not that type of a QB at all from what he showed during his career.  Now all of a sudden he is a #1 pick overall over Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler?  Nah.  

 

 

 

Also if he has this arm of all arms, why did he not play over Jarrett Stidham on Auburn?  Stidham was a good college QB but clearly does not have this all world arm so why did he not beat him out similar to Trevor Lawrence beating out Kelly Bryant when he was a freshman because of his superior arm talent and playmaking ability?  Willis's best ability is his running ability, sure he can make some chunk plays in the passing game but he does not have near the arm talent that you say he does.

Sure you disagree and maybe I underrated his arm, but honestly you overrated his arm talent as a passer way more than I underrate it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think Riddler will be QB1 when it's all said and done. Riley does a great job of developing guys.

You mean Rattler?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ozzy said:
5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

 

So Malik Willis is a better prospect than Trevor Lawrence?  BS on that one, and yes if you think Willis has a superior arm to all of these guys in 2021, yeah you think he is a better QB prospect than them all which is absolutely ridiculous. 

Dude where are you reading this? I have said multiple times as a prospect I think he’s behind Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, and Fields. I said he simply has a stronger arm than all four guys and that he is my early favorite in the 2022 QB class. I don’t know why you keep thinking I think he’s a better prospect than Lawrence lol. 
 

I have Willis and Rattler pretty close right now. Howell I’m meh on, but warming up to him. And don’t like Slovis. 
 

Also, seems like you are one of those people who has a vendetta against project QB’s. You are drafting potential. I know his mechanics aren’t great. Extremely aware. It’s called a project QB for a reason. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Dude where are you reading this? I have said multiple times as a prospect I think he’s behind Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, and Fields. I said he simply has a stronger arm than all four guys and that he is my early favorite in the 2022 QB class. I don’t know why you keep thinking I think he’s a better prospect than Lawrence lol. 
 

I have Willis and Rattler pretty close right now. Howell I’m meh on, but warming up to him. And don’t like Slovis. 
 

Also, seems like you are one of those people who has a vendetta against project QB’s. You are drafting potential. I know his mechanics aren’t great. Extremely aware. It’s called a project QB for a reason. 

Yeah saying Malik Willis is a better QB prospect than Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Trey Lance and Zach Wilson is just about as laughable  as saying he has a stronger arm than all of those four QBs.  Either way it is incorrect, and yeah usually if one says they have more arm talent generally speaking that means they are the best of the group.  Saying Josh Allen has the most talented throwing arm in the 2018 draft class is pretty much saying he is the best or at least has the highest ceiling of any of the QBs which absolutely was the case.  Thus saying Willis has a better throwing arm than Lawrence, Fields, Lance and Wilson is saying he has a higher ceiling which again is absolutely absurd...

 

I have no problem with project QBs in the right situation.  But let us take Marcus Mariota, some loved the guy I did not because I thought his running ability was far to critical in his overall production and take his running ability away and he is not as dangerous of a player.  He also played in a similar run heavy system that used a lot of play action and zone read to gain an advantage.  Granted Mariota has better mechanics than Willis, better accuracy, and arguably has more leadership ability and or character coming out of college, and yes he has not exactly ripped up the NFL yet some had him as an absolute franchise type QB.  So if a QB who had a lot more going for him did not succeed in the NFL think Willis is this sure fire superstar?  

 

And to think running the ball and the zone read is not key to that team, Liberty was the 9th best rushing team in college last year in terms of yards per game and and in terms of total yards they were 5th.  #1 team was Georgia Southern and Shai Werts who transferred to Louisville but is a damn good running QB who can pass every now and again.  Sure Liberty is not a Army or Navy type offense but they do a lot of similar things but are more spread yet still run centric.    

 

So what is Malik Willis, I do not know but no way is he Mike Vick, Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray.  Is probably close to Pat White but slightly more advanced as a passer than he was but equally as effective of a runner.  Fun to watch but long ways form some 1st round pick with this all world arm.

 

Khalil Tate is another one, amazing SOPH year ran for 1300+ yards, had 327 yards rushing in one game.  Then when he wanted to become more of a passer and less of a runner, still was a good talented player, made plays against good competition.  So what, he was not some 1st round pick and was undrafted currently is trying to make it as a WR in the NFL.  Is Willis that much more talented than Tate?  Maybe but take the injuries away from Tate and they are very similar players and if anything Tate was better against better competition for a longer period of time.  Still does not mean he has some great throwing arm just because he made big plays consistently?  No.  Not to mention Trace McSorley who was a freaking dude in college, put up huge passing numbers, could run and make big plays, was a great leader.  Sure is on the Ravens as a backup because he fits the system but still sits behind RGIII.  Oh and RGIII had 4200+ yards passing his final year at Baylor and almost 700 yards rushing and ran a 4.4 40 time, so Willis better get going on his passing production then.  What Willis did last year is honestly not that rare from the QB position, tons of guys have done similar things.  Speaking of that I should update by list of athletic QBs in college.

 

There is a big difference between saying Willis is a talented project QB that is a 3rd or 4th round pick to saying he should compete for being the #1 QB taken in the draft.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah saying Malik Willis is a better QB prospect than Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Trey Lance and Zach Wilson is just about as laughable  as saying he has a stronger arm than all of those four QBs.  Either way it is incorrect, and yeah usually if one says they have more arm talent generally speaking that means they are the best of the group.  Saying Josh Allen has the most talented throwing arm in the 2018 draft class is pretty much saying he is the best or at least has the highe

Once again, never said Willis was a better prospect than those guys. You are legit putting words into my mouth. I have repeated multiple times he’d be 5th behind those guys. Just because I think he has a stronger arm than those four guys does not mean he is a better prospect. I had Lance as the strongest Arm in 2021 but Lawrence as my #1 Prospect. I had Allen with the strongest Arm in 2018 but Darnold as my #1 Prospect. 
 

Ceiling also does not equal Top Prospect. I have Lance as the highest ceiling of the 2021, but he’s also a Boom or Bust guy and Lawrence has the safest floor of any QB Prospect in decades, he was the easy #1 pick. Lawrence also has an insane ceiling himself. 
 

You clearly think arm strength means total overall ranking and we will agree to disagree on that. There is much more to a QB than Arm Strength. 
 

You also don’t seem to think a Project QB can go ahead other Non-Project QB’s. Did you not think Lance could go above Fields? Lance is a clear project and went before Fields, and rightfully went before Fields. I had Lance ranked above Fields, even though Lance is a Project QB. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the things about Carson Strong that is intriguing, is how much presnap stuff he seemingly is asked to do. Looks like he has the greenlight to call audibles at the LOS, and when defenses are showing blitz, he looks to be calling out protection schemes. Not sure how many other offenses allow the QB to do this these days in CFB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...