Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

On 10/28/2021 at 8:19 AM, EagleBlueDon said:

I really like Carson Strong. But the question is, is he worth a top 10ish FRP? Still some games to go to determine that I suppose. Like can he be one of the best QBs in the NFL?

His lack of mobility and injury concerns (knee) are both issues.

I currently believe Howell is best suited for an NFL career from this bunch. 

I'm no scout, but he seems to display the traits that will make him a viable starting QB for at least 4-5 years. I saw the Baker comp, I quite like this comp but I think Howell is far better at sticking in a crumbling pocket.

- His composure in the pocket is literally second to none in this class. Nothing bothers him in that pocket

- Thrives in play action and is automatic on in-breaking routes when the LBs are held momentarily

- You can also see this on RPO, great decision making and accuracy when he keeps to throw

- Progresses through reads

- Tough, combative, the more you rattle him the more he wants to beat you (most elite QBs have this...not saying Sam will be elite though don't worry)

I have slight issues with how easy they try to make it for him, with RPO, PA and screens - but he's shown he can look elsewhere when it breaks down. Not bothered about the lack of height, this has been debunked as a dealbreaker now, if you're good enough you're tall enough. 

Mid first round by draft? Average mock position right now is either 2nd round or end of 1st

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I currently believe Howell is best suited for an NFL career from this bunch. 

I'm no scout, but he seems to display the traits that will make him a viable starting QB for at least 4-5 years. I saw the Baker comp, I quite like this comp but I think Howell is far better at sticking in a crumbling pocket.

- His composure in the pocket is literally second to none in this class. Nothing bothers him in that pocket

- Thrives in play action and is automatic on in-breaking routes when the LBs are held momentarily

- You can also see this on RPO, great decision making and accuracy when he keeps to throw

- Progresses through reads

- Tough, combative, the more you rattle him the more he wants to beat you (most elite QBs have this...not saying Sam will be elite though don't worry)

I have slight issues with how easy they try to make it for him, with RPO, PA and screens - but he's shown he can look elsewhere when it breaks down. Not bothered about the lack of height, this has been debunked as a dealbreaker now, if you're good enough you're tall enough. 

Mid first round by draft? Average mock position right now is either 2nd round or end of 1st

Has that really been debunked?  Kyler is the only QB in the top 15 under 6'3". Kyler has shown he can put up numbers but is still yet to lead his team above a .500 record, although he likely will this year.   Heinicke is 6'1" and is the only other QB in the top 20 in passing yards under 6'3".  Lamar Jackson is 6'2" and throwing isnt his best skill set and Howell isn't Jackson athletically.  There still are very few QBs that succeed long term in the NFL that are under 6'3".  

50 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Has that really been debunked?  Kyler is the only QB in the top 15 under 6'3". Kyler has shown he can put up numbers but is still yet to lead his team above a .500 record, although he likely will this year.   Heinicke is 6'1" and is the only other QB in the top 20 in passing yards under 6'3".  Lamar Jackson is 6'2" and throwing isnt his best skill set and Howell isn't Jackson athletically.  There still are very few QBs that succeed long term in the NFL that are under 6'3".  

A good chunk of the top 15 QB's are under 6'3...

Aaron Rodgers 6'2

Russell Wilson 5'11

Dak Prescott 6'2

Lamar Jackson 6'2 

Baker Mayfield 6'1

Kyler Murray 5'10

A QB shorter than 6'3 has been a top 5 pick in five straight drafts...

Zach Wilson #2

Tua Tagovailoa #5

Kyler Murray #1

Baker Mayfield #1

Mitch Trubisky #2

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

A good chunk of the top 15 QB's are under 6'3...

Aaron Rodgers 6'2

Russell Wilson 5'11

Dak Prescott 6'2

Lamar Jackson 6'2 

Baker Mayfield 6'1

Kyler Murray 5'10

A QB shorter than 6'3 has been a top 5 pick in five straight drafts...

Zach Wilson #2

Tua Tagovailoa #5

Kyler Murray #1

Baker Mayfield #1

Mitch Trubisky #2

Ok, maybe 6'2". 2 Qbs under 6'2" and those that are 6'2" are uber athletic.  Baker is about to get cut/traded and be the next Trubisky next year.  Tua also looks like Miami wants an upgrade (and he was #5 not #1).  Zach Wilson got outshined by Mike White and I wasn't and am still not overly high on him.  

True "Short" QBs that have succeeded are Russ and Brees and Kyler is likely going to be in that group but still too early.  The odds are if a QB is short, he needs to be elite at something.  Sure there are a few here and there but I'd rather take my chances on something thats shown to not be the exception. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

What with Super Bowl winning QBs Wilson, Rodgers and Brees along with current MVP front runner…I thinks it’s substantial

theres plenty of 6’5’ QBs who have never been successful. I’m saying it helps but not a deal breaker if good enough 

Edited by Hunter2_1