Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

On 11/2/2021 at 4:53 PM, Jeezla said:

Jurkovec is my top choice for guy drafted after round 2 who could become an ok starter

Guess what I read was wrong about his injury, Jurkovec played last night for BC.  Still looks to be favoring his hand but showed off some impressive physical gifts running the football.  Nice to see him back out there, hopefully he can play out the rest of the season.  Made some nice touch passes down field, played with great pace and timing overall.  Tough kid who is a good leader and have to love that size and athletic ability, talented no question and if he could finish out this season healthy is a very interesting prospect no question.

Is a RS JR though and hard to not think he could be awesome will a full season healthy next year but will depend on how he looks these next three games which is obviously not much left.  

18 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Big QB game between Liberty and Ole Miss. By my estimation Willis and Corral are the top two QB prospects in this draft. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go 1 and 2 overall.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611431d54a5837df92d6e

It will be a fun game to watch no question and be very interesting but 1 and 2 overall?  Yikes.

Fact is I am not a huge Jared Goff guy and Tua has disappointed in the league so far, but both look absolutely amazing coming out of college compared to Matt Corral and Malik Willis.  

Is easily the best defense Liberty will play all year, sure Ole Miss is nothing great on D but have a few next level prospects in Sam Williams who has 8.5 sacks this year, Chance Campbell who is a very smart and tough inside linebacker and I like how Deane Leonard has been in coverage at times and Otis Reese is a huge defensive back who maybe could convert to LB.

Corral sure has played himself into being a 1st round pick probably with the struggles over top QBs have had, but Willis I still need to say way more passing ability from him.  Way too erratic throwing the football and unless the Ravens draft the guy he could have issues in a typical NFL system.  

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611431d54a5837df92d6e

It will be a fun game to watch no question and be very interesting but 1 and 2 overall?  Yikes.

Fact is I am not a huge Jared Goff guy and Tua has disappointed in the league so far, but both look absolutely amazing coming out of college compared to Matt Corral and Malik Willis.  

Is easily the best defense Liberty will play all year, sure Ole Miss is nothing great on D but have a few next level prospects in Sam Williams who has 8.5 sacks this year, Chance Campbell who is a very smart and tough inside linebacker and I like how Deane Leonard has been in coverage at times and Otis Reese is a huge defensive back who maybe could convert to LB.

Corral sure has played himself into being a 1st round pick probably with the struggles over top QBs have had, but Willis I still need to say way more passing ability from him.  Way too erratic throwing the football and unless the Ravens draft the guy he could have issues in a typical NFL system.  

Conversely, Herbert and Allen looked worse than Willis in Corral and are great. Fact is, if you're a team like the Lions, Eagles, or Texans, (or a team in range of trading up) you have to try to get better ASAP. Drafting a QB is the fastest way to do that. If those teams at the top of the draft, particularly the Lions and Texans, decide to draft some position player instead, their team probably isn't going to be much better, if better at all.

Willis and Corral have the rushing upside and arm talent to be good to great NFL starters. And, when you can run like they can, you simply don't have to throw the ball at a high level (see Jackson, Newton, Vick, Allen's first two seasons, etc.).

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Conversely, Herbert and Allen looked worse than Willis in Corral and are great. Fact is, if you're a team like the Lions, Eagles, or Texans, (or a team in range of trading up) you have to try to get better ASAP. Drafting a QB is the fastest way to do that. If those teams at the top of the draft, particularly the Lions and Texans, decide to draft some position player instead, their team probably isn't going to be much better, if better at all.

Willis and Corral have the rushing upside and arm talent to be good to great NFL starters. And, when you can run like they can, you simply don't have to throw the ball at a high level (see Jackson, Newton, Vick, Allen's first two seasons, etc.).

I disagree, I would have taken Herbert and Josh Allen all day long over Matt Corral and Willis coming out of college.  No question about it at all, Josh Allen sure struggled that last year at Wyoming but showed such arm talent and that pro day put him over the top for me.  Sure if Willis or Corral can throw like Josh Allen did at that pro day could change some things but fact is they cannot and will not.

Herbert sure has impressed greatly in the NFL when many questioned him for whatever reason but he has way more physical gifts than both Corral and Willis just based on frame and size alone.  Sure Willis is thick and athletic and Corral has quickness but neither one of them have a frame height anything like Herbert or Josh Allen combined with their athletic ability.

Yeah running QBs are all the rage sure, but one has to be able to throw the football successfully.  Malik Willis has three more regular season games left and will see if he will ever in his entire career throw for over 2500 yards something he has never done.  People rip on Lamar Jackson for not passing well in college, the dude threw for 3500+ yards twice and had 57 passing TDs both those years while still rushing for 1550+ each of those seasons as well.  So it is not even close, Willis should be putting up way better numbers against such bad competition if he is so great.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I disagree, I would have taken Herbert and Josh Allen all day long over Matt Corral and Willis coming out of college.  No question about it at all, Josh Allen sure struggled that last year at Wyoming but showed such arm talent and that pro day put him over the top for me.  Sure if Willis or Corral can throw like Josh Allen did at that pro day could change some things but fact is they cannot and will not.

Herbert sure has impressed greatly in the NFL when many questioned him for whatever reason but he has way more physical gifts than both Corral and Willis just based on frame and size alone.  Sure Willis is thick and athletic and Corral has quickness but neither one of them have a frame height anything like Herbert or Josh Allen combined with their athletic ability.

Yeah running QBs are all the rage sure, but one has to be able to throw the football successfully.  Malik Willis has three more regular season games left and will see if he will ever in his entire career throw for over 2500 yards something he has never done.  People rip on Lamar Jackson for not passing well in college, the dude threw for 3500+ yards twice and had 57 passing TDs both those years while still rushing for 1550+ each of those seasons as well.  So it is not even close, Willis should be putting up way better numbers against such bad competition if he is so great.  

Herbert and Josh Allen are not in this class--also hindsight is 20/20. For me, and I assume NFL GMs, it's less about the stats and more about how the player puts up the stats. From what I have seen from Willis this season, he looks like a very competent passer. Last year, I thought less so and compared him to Tarvaris Jackson or Tyrod Taylor. I think this season he has shown he can be more. Corral I don't love, but I would understand why some would. He is a very good runner and has a very strong arm.

I think you're being reductive on what type of players Willis and Corral are. I see them both having top level NFL upside--particularly Willis. I would rather take a shot at that than draft Thibodeaux or whoever else at the top.

6 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Herbert and Josh Allen are not in this class--also hindsight is 20/20. For me, and I assume NFL GMs, it's less about the stats and more about how the player puts up the stats. From what I have seen from Willis this season, he looks like a very competent passer. Last year, I thought less so and compared him to Tarvaris Jackson or Tyrod Taylor. I think this season he has shown he can be more. Corral I don't love, but I would understand why some would. He is a very good runner and has a very strong arm.

I think you're being reductive on what type of players Willis and Corral are. I see them both having top level NFL upside--particularly Willis. I would rather take a shot at that than draft Thibodeaux or whoever else at the top.

I just feel if you look in the last twenty years of the top QB prospects there is no way Corral and Willis are near the top of that list.

Cam Newton who had success in the NFL and showed far more ability against top level competition in college as a #1 overall pick but the dude was also 6-5 250, and even he is out of the NFL currently because he is not a good enough passer.  Willis is not 6-5 250 and did not play at a high level in the SEC outside of running the football at QB.

Will be fun to watch him today and see how he looks but in no way are either of these guys top level QB talents like that which should be #1 or #2 overall.  Sure hindsight 20/20 whatever, I still would say out of college no way on earth are either of these guys better than Tua Tagovailoa and he has struggled in the NFL.  Still Tua was absolutely an elite level prospect with tons of potential and upside, sure injuries have hurt him as has the lack of weapons around him but still if Tua struggles in the NFL passing and he was a very developed passer in college what chance Willis have?  

Liberty vs Ole Miss will be a great game to watch though for sure.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I just feel if you look in the last twenty years of the top QB prospects there is no way Corral and Willis are near the top of that list.

That's true but teams can only draft people who are eligible to be drafted... 
QB is such an important position that if you love Willis or Corral you draft him 1st overall if you have the pick and you think the player can develop and become a franchise QB. 

2 hours ago, MagicMT said:

That's true but teams can only draft people who are eligible to be drafted... 
QB is such an important position that if you love Willis or Corral you draft him 1st overall if you have the pick and you think the player can develop and become a franchise QB. 

I just don't get it, what is it the Trey Lance thing and everyone thinks he is the next Trey Lance even though Trey himself has not done anything in the NFL yet?  Willis has been in college football for five seasons, Trey Lance played one year at the FCS level and as a RS FR passed for more yards than Willis has at any point of his career, oh and he threw 28 TDs with 0 INTs and had 1000+ yards rushing.  

Malik Willis plays for an offensive minded head coach that is a creative playcaller and typically makes QBs look better than they actually are, same can be said for Lane Kiffin as well.

Malik Willis today in a stadium that was 70% full: which is pathetic for a top 20 school facing a former coach and a hyped QB prospect but whatever Ole Miss fans...  He threw what 3 INTs and should of had 4 INTs throw in the game, and got sacked what 7 or 8 times and his team and himself should now be leading FBS in sacks given up total.  That guy is a #1 pick overall?

Super fun to watch run the football and a very interesting talent but #1 overall is absurd and beyond a reach.  Give me him in the 2nd round and maybe he can develop, not super comfortable with him in the 1st but late 1st to a good organization where he can sit maybe.  But #1 overall is a bit much for me considering his ability and most of it comes off of his running ability at QB.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I just don't get it

Not saying Corral or Willis are good enough to be picked 1st overall (haven't watched enough of them to really make a judgement) but if the team picking #1 has a QB need and they love the prospect and think he can become a solid pro they should draft him it's all I'm saying. 

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I just don't get it, what is it the Trey Lance thing and everyone thinks he is the next Trey Lance even though Trey himself has not done anything in the NFL yet?  Willis has been in college football for five seasons, Trey Lance played one year at the FCS level and as a RS FR passed for more yards than Willis has at any point of his career, oh and he threw 28 TDs with 0 INTs and had 1000+ yards rushing.  

Malik Willis plays for an offensive minded head coach that is a creative playcaller and typically makes QBs look better than they actually are, same can be said for Lane Kiffin as well.

Malik Willis today in a stadium that was 70% full: which is pathetic for a top 20 school facing a former coach and a hyped QB prospect but whatever Ole Miss fans...  He threw what 3 INTs and should of had 4 INTs throw in the game, and got sacked what 7 or 8 times and his team and himself should now be leading FBS in sacks given up total.  That guy is a #1 pick overall?

Super fun to watch run the football and a very interesting talent but #1 overall is absurd and beyond a reach.  Give me him in the 2nd round and maybe he can develop, not super comfortable with him in the 1st but late 1st to a good organization where he can sit maybe.  But #1 overall is a bit much for me considering his ability and most of it comes off of his running ability at QB.

The thing that soured me on Willis today was that I didn't see a single impressive moment from him passing the ball.  He is athletic and can throw the ball far, but I didn't see any awareness, any ability to read the defense, or wow throws.

Prospects will have bad days, but even on their worst day, you'd expect a couple plays that justify a high draft pick.

On 11/6/2021 at 5:41 PM, Ragnarok said:

The thing that soured me on Willis today was that I didn't see a single impressive moment from him passing the ball.  He is athletic and can throw the ball far, but I didn't see any awareness, any ability to read the defense, or wow throws.

Prospects will have bad days, but even on their worst day, you'd expect a couple plays that justify a high draft pick.

I've said it a few times but he reminds me of Jalen Hurts with a stronger arm.