Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

20 hours ago, animaltested said:

One of the things about Carson Strong that is intriguing, is how much presnap stuff he seemingly is asked to do. Looks like he has the greenlight to call audibles at the LOS, and when defenses are showing blitz, he looks to be calling out protection schemes. Not sure how many other offenses allow the QB to do this these days in CFB.

I've heard him compared to Matt Stafford. I've never studied him, and I doubt it would matter if I had, but that's pretty high praise. 

Little clip show of Malik Willis at the Auburn spring game in 2018.  Granted he was going into his sophomore year but looks pretty damn rough out there, a ton of overthrows, a few nice ones and a few that were drops but watching this shows a guy with this out of this world arm talent?  Coming into this up coming season he will be a RS SR, so plenty of time to develop and he needed it and has greatly improved in his one year on Liberty.  But still Trey Lance was a RS FR QB who played only one full season and to compare them as arm talents is just simply incorrect and unfair to Trey Lance.  Trey Lance has not been in college football for five years like Willis will be this up coming season.  Willis has had far more opportunities and was beat out by Stidham and Bo Nix.

Maybe he is just a late bloomer, will see.  Still just watching him as a passer, he has plenty of work to do.  Willis was amazing at times last year but so was Grayson McCall who had more passing yards and more TDs passing and less INTs, and he was a RS FR.  Clearly some of those small schools took advantage of the fact that some schools were simply not playing last year and or were not all that committed for one reason or another.  And will see if Liberty and Coastal Carolina can be top 25 teams this up coming season like they were last year at times.  Sure Willis beat McCall in the head to head in the bowl game but clearly watching the game one QB was more polished as a passer than the other and one depended a lot on his legs to make plays than the other.  And again that was a RS JR QB against a RS FR QB.  Will be interesting to watch both next year in different environments and much higher expectations than they had coming into last season.

8 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I've heard him compared to Matt Stafford. I've never studied him, and I doubt it would matter if I had, but that's pretty high praise. 

Not sure he is Matthew Stafford who is a top 5 arm talent period in the last what 20 years, possibly top 3.  Strong is very interesting though no doubt and I would say he has a far more impressive arm and better mechanics and just overall a more talented passer than say Malik Willis.  Dude is one to watch and could no doubt be a 1st round pick next year if he plays well and some others do not impress as much.  

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

CARSON STRONG

Not sure he is Matthew Stafford who is a top 5 arm talent period in the last what 20 years, possibly top 3.  Strong is very interesting though no doubt and I would say he has a far more impressive arm and better mechanics and just overall a more talented passer than say Malik Willis.  Dude is one to watch and could no doubt be a 1st round pick next year if he plays well and some others do not impress as much.  

Yeah I have seen his arm called good to average. Consensus seems to be his arm is better than its seems due to the fact he has some wonky lower half mechanics. That and apparently he banged his knee up which impacted his ability to step into throws. 

His strongest attribute is deep ball accuracy; which teams covet nowadays. Needs to show more consistent intermediate passing accuracy though. Had some atrocious INT's last year too.

His WR Romeo Doubs will absolutely grab your attention if you watch Nevada's offense. 

1 minute ago, animaltested said:

Yeah I have seen his arm called good to average. Consensus seems to be his arm is better than its seems due to the fact he has some wonky lower half mechanics. That and apparently he banged his knee up which impacted his ability to step into throws. 

His strongest attribute is deep ball accuracy; which teams covet nowadays. Needs to show more consistent intermediate passing accuracy though. Had some atrocious INT's last year too.

His WR Romeo Doubs will absolutely grab your attention if you watch Nevada's offense. 

Yeah the deep ball seems awesome at times but I will for sure have to watch a few games of his this summer against good competition.  The San Diego State game and the San Jose State game might be two good ones to watch Nevada in, see how they do.  Best part is that one can easily watch almost any game you want on youtube now a days, which is great for teams like Nevada that are rarely on TV but that could change next year.  

Watched Malik Willis vs VTECH ... and uhhhh .... whats the big deal? He is a super awesome fun to watch college player, but man, tough to watch otherwise. 

All of his completions were on designed roll outs, quick outs, and few curls. Only 1 or 2 big time throws, the 1st TD was a completely busted coverage. His accuracy seems really inconsistent, had some borderline atrocious throws. Really careless with the ball. 

Poor Mans Josh Allen I guess?

1 minute ago, animaltested said:

Watched Malik Willis vs VTECH ... and uhhhh .... whats the big deal? He is a super awesome fun to watch college player, but man, tough to watch otherwise. 

All of his completions were on designed roll outs, quick outs, and few curls. Only 1 or 2 big time throws, the 1st TD was a completely busted coverage. His accuracy seems really inconsistent, had some borderline atrocious throws. Really careless with the ball. 

Poor Mans Josh Allen I guess?

I agree, first time I saw Willis last year I was not amazed by it either.  Poor Mans Josh Allen?  No.  Josh Allen had some outstanding ball velocity, Willis does not generate the type of spin and power Allen had on his throws, especially that SOPH year.  Willis is super exciting and with a great year could help his stock but to me right now no way is he a 1st round pick.  Like I said after watching a little bit of Carson Strong, he has a way more talented throwing arm.

Sure people say strong arm, well what is a strong arm, being able to throw back against your body moving to your left throwing right?  Sure that is one specific example but really it should be more well rounded,  getting high level ball velocity, spiral, accuracy and touch on your throws consistently using good mechanics.  The time it takes for a ball to travel to its target accurately also really shows arm strength.  Willis to me does not have much zip on his passes if he is being compared to elite level players.

But yeah will be super fun to watch this year.  The Ole Miss game could be a good one but Ole Miss is bad at D, UAB could be a good one and Syracuse but Cuse could be really down next year and that D could suck after losing three DBs to the NFL.  But Liberty does not go up against much great competition obviously.  Louisiana is another decent team they go up against as well that could be a good one.  

Is Willis that much better than Jalen Hurts as a QB prospect?  Not sure, and yeah some say Hurts is a starter in the NFL now.  Well honestly I doubt that lasts long and I do not have much faith in him long term as a NFL starter, and he is a better leader, competitor and is stronger than Willis is and played against a higher level of competition consistently.

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Is Willis that much better than Jalen Hurts as a QB prospect?  Not sure, and yeah some say Hurts is a starter in the NFL now.  Well honestly I doubt that lasts long and I do not have much faith in him long term as a NFL starter, and he is a better leader, competitor and is stronger than Willis is and played against a higher level of competition consistently.

IF your barometer is Jalen Hurts being an NFL starter in a *check notes* QB room of himself, Joe Flacco, and Jamie Newman, you're setting your standards incredibly low.

• Like 3

On 5/21/2021 at 3:11 PM, NYRaider said:

Guys that look like they could be 1st round picks: 

• Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma

• Sam Howell, North Carolina

• Kedon Slovis, USC

• Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati 

• Malik Willis, Liberty

• JT Daniels, Georgia

• Tyler Shough, Texas Tech

I will also be watching Phil Jurkovec, Boston College, Jayden Daniels, Arizona State, and the mentioned Matt Correl, Ole Miss.

for the non-FBS schools say to keep an eye on Cole Kelley, SE Lousiana and Kaleb Elerby Western Michigan

19 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I agree, first time I saw Willis last year I was not amazed by it either.  Poor Mans Josh Allen?  No.  Josh Allen had some outstanding ball velocity, Willis does not generate the type of spin and power Allen had on his throws, especially that SOPH year.  Willis is super exciting and with a great year could help his stock but to me right now no way is he a 1st round pick.  Like I said after watching a little bit of Carson Strong, he has a way more talented throwing arm.

What I mean is taking an athlete with a big arm and banking on them learning to play QB in the NFL. 

May

1. Spencer Rattler | Oklahoma

2. Sam Howell | UNC

3. Michael Penix | Indiana

4. Carson Strong | Nevada

5. Tyler Shough | Oregon

6. Matt Corral | Ole Miss

7. Desmond Ridder | Cinn

8. Kedon Slovis | USC

9. Chance Nolan | Oregon St

10. Tanner Morgan | Minnesota

11. Jayden Daniels | ASU

12. Malik Willis | Lib

13. JT Daniels | Georgia

14. Spencer Sanders | OKST

15. Phil Jurkovec | BC

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

IF your barometer is Jalen Hurts being an NFL starter in a *check notes* QB room of himself, Joe Flacco, and Jamie Newman, you're setting your standards incredibly low.

It is not a barometer, it is a comparison, and if Willis is not a better overall passer than Jalen Hurts, then maybe he is not this amazing all world QB with some great arm.  I would not be shocked if Newman gets a shot at playing if Hurts fails, but Hurts is tough, great leader and competitor and is physically and mentally strong so he might stick around as the starter for a little bit, but long term in 5 years doubt he is one anymore but will see.  

2 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

May

1. Spencer Rattler | Oklahoma

2. Sam Howell | UNC

3. Michael Penix | Indiana

4. Carson Strong | Nevada

5. Tyler Shough | Oregon

6. Matt Corral | Ole Miss

7. Desmond Ridder | Cinn

8. Kedon Slovis | USC

9. Chance Nolan | Oregon St

10. Tanner Morgan | Minnesota

11. Jayden Daniels | ASU

12. Malik Willis | Lib

13. JT Daniels | Georgia

14. Spencer Sanders | OKST

15. Phil Jurkovec | BC

That seems like more than place when Willis should be.  Shough being that high right now is nuts, he has not really done much impressive things at all, and JT Daniels could be higher as well, was strong last year and should be even better next year with a lot of weapons coming back on Georgia. 

2 hours ago, animaltested said:

What I mean is taking an athlete with a big arm and banking on them learning to play QB in the NFL. 

I think it is debatable saying Willis has a big arm, not sure that is the case. A big arm is more than just being able to throw well on the move.  But yeah he might need some developing in the NFL but with many guys that just simply does not work out very well.  I remember Nate Davis out of Ball State, had a cannon for an arm, really good ball velocity and pocket mechanics, never developed much at all in the league and was out of it quickly.  

He did this in the NFL, I think preseason but not sure, but yeah he had a great arm, but developing in the NFL is not that easy to do.

Watched Sam Howell vs Notre Dame. Wow that was brutal. I understand the offensive line was outmatched, but that kinda of pressure is what he going to see in the NFL. Seemed the handle it pretty poorly; slow processing? Cant see the whole field? Appears to have good zip on his passes, but it was hard to find much of it since the offense was so damn limited. All of UNC's big plays came off RPO 1 reads, swing passes, and underneath stuff where the WR did all the work. The one big time throw was slight underthrown. There were a few nice deep comebacks and over the middle through tight window completions. But overall pretty yucky. 

Edited by animaltested

11 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I haven't seen much of Howell, but the guy on that list who has impressed me the most is Penix.

I wish Penix had more complex offense ( too many single read throws) but I would agree.

I look at three things for a QB.  Arm Strength ( can he make outside throw), Accuracy ( meaning NFL accuracy 6" window) and quick decisions ( once he sees an opening he makes the throw).  Having all three is a franchise QB right out of college.   Most QBs have the arm.  Some can learn the accuracy. They either have the quick decisions or they don't.

I would urge folks to watch Cole Kelley.  Walter Patton award winner.  Reminds me a lot of Big Ben at Miami ( who I did see when he played for the Redmen now RedHawks).