Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

22 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I wish Penix had more complex offense ( too many single read throws) but I would agree.

I look at three things for a QB.  Arm Strength ( can he make outside throw), Accuracy ( meaning NFL accuracy 6" window) and quick decisions ( once he sees an opening he makes the throw).  Having all three is a franchise QB right out of college.   Most QBs have the arm.  Some can learn the accuracy. They either have the quick decisions or they don't.

I would urge folks to watch Cole Kelley.  Walter Patton award winner.  Reminds me a lot of Big Ben at Miami ( who I did see when he played for the Redmen now RedHawks).

Cole Kelley the Arkansas transfer?  Big QBs recently have not done great unless they are pretty damn athletic, not sure Kelley is in that mix.  Ryan Mallett ripped up the SEC and was a huge dude, did not succeed in the NFL.  Logan Thomas almost had three different 3000 yard passing seasons on Virginia Tech, now is a TE in the NFL.  Paxton Lynch was a big and athletic QB and he failed, Brock Osweiler did not do well in the league either as a very tall dude.  EJ Manuel is another, Zach Mettenberger, Mike Glennon, Cardale Jones,  etc.  Josh Freeman but hesitate to include him because he did have some great success early but pretty shocking the decline which I hope was injury related.   The traits are awesome having some 6-5 to 6-7 230-250+ pound QB but of late not a ton of those guys have turned out in the league.  Sure Herbert and Josh Allen are both bigger taller guys but there are way more those types fail that succeed of late, and obviously both are very good athletes for their size.  Big Ben is the constant but again he was a damn good athlete coming out of Miami OH, again not sure Kelley is that.  

11 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Big Ben was not the runner that most of the modern QBs are .  He was a pure pocket passer.  I think Kelley is the same.  He has the arm and the accuracy.

True but if he played in todays era he would have been.  Dude ran a similar 40 time to Herbert and Josh Allen as well.  Is clearly physically strong, well put together and has used that his entire career being able to be strong in the pocket and make big plays down field while athletically avoiding pressure scrambling when needed.  Herbert for example ran for more yards and TDs in a single season his first year the NFL than he did any season at Oregon, that mean he was not athletic at Oregon?  And oddly enough he was in an offense that has had successful QBs who could run in it pretty consistently, little different now with Chip gone but still a lot of similar action.  

Cole Kelley is not Big Ben athletically.  But yeah most college QBs are allow to run to pick up yards way more than they were when Big Ben played because there was more of a chance the QB could get hurt in doing so.  Tackling rules have clearly changed that a lot, but still Big Ben was a damn good athlete compared to the other QBs who came out I thought.  

14 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I'll wait for the pro-day.  I think he could run a 4.8.  Kelley can and does run in his games.  I am more interested in his passing.

He will not be a top 10 pick in  2021 but neither was Big Ben in 2004

So Cole Kelley will be the 11th pick overall in the 1st round since Big Ben was?  What are you talking about here?  Will not be a top 10 pick but neither was Big Ben... Give me a break. 

He did have crazy high production this spring and will be interesting how he does in what his 5th year next season.  Sure maybe I underrate Kelley's athletic ability but you greatly underrate Big Ben's coming out of college.   And again there is a lot to be said about production in mostly an empty area compared to the environment one should be performing in.  Crowd noise or lack there of does matter especially for any QB.  Will be nice to get back to normal environmental conditions for prospects.  

• 2 weeks later...

I posted in this group chat in my madden league I want the Texans to tank for Rattler.  Some dude responds "he sucks".  I responded by saying, he doesnt because he only has 1 full year as a starting QB.  Lincoln Riley puts QB's in round 1.  He responds back saying "he sucks".

Yeah nice logic. SMH

I dont get the Rattler hate. Burrow didnt set the world in fire out the gate.  I can go down the list. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 5:08 PM, Jeezla said:

Carson Strong gonna end up being the 1st QB off the board. Hopefully the Eagles decide to get their guy in '23, and use their multiple '22 1sts on defense.

I watched some stuff last year. I kind of don't get it yet. I thought he was fine, but I wasn't blown away by anything I saw either. He's a guy I'm monitoring closely this year

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I watched some stuff last year. I kind of don't get it yet. I thought he was fine, but I wasn't blown away by anything I saw either. He's a guy I'm monitoring closely this year

6'3"+
Supposedly strong arm 
Mobile enough
Supposedly high football IQ
Better completion % and TD:INT ratio than Ridder (cupcake schedule, I know)

Some GM is going to like him a lot, assuming he looks at least a little better than this past season.

Edited by Jeezla

On 5/28/2021 at 11:09 AM, jebrick said:

Big Ben was not the runner that most of the modern QBs are .  He was a pure pocket passer.  I think Kelley is the same.  He has the arm and the accuracy.

If Cole Kelley makes an NFL roster Chad Morris should never be allowed to coach again lol.

Kelley has always had the physical gifts though. He was a load to take down in short yardage situations.

On 6/12/2021 at 5:08 PM, Jeezla said:

Carson Strong gonna end up being the 1st QB off the board. Hopefully the Eagles decide to get their guy in '23, and use their multiple '22 1sts on defense.

Nah. Im a Carson Strong dude, and Rattler does the things Carson does the best; better. 

Honestly at this point, its seems like Rattler QB1 then everyone else. I do think Carson could leap frog dudes like Willis and Riddler. Could be neck and neck with Howell for QB2. That's probably his ceiling. IDK.

Edited by animaltested

On 5/26/2021 at 2:22 PM, Texansfan713 said:

I definitely have a different opinion on Desmond Riddler than others.  He is more of an athlete than QB IMO.  I dont think he will be a starter in the league. 

You think? I liked what I've seen from him. A strong year puts him solidly in round 1 somewhere.