Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

That will definitely help. 100%.

Yep, people don't like to hear it for whatever reason but there are some QBs who busted who would have been solid starters in different situations. For example players like Tim Couch, David Carr, Joey Harrington who were hard workers & mentally good at the position. 

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I think this class ends up more 2014 than 2013. There's likely a Carr/Bridgewater/Jimmy G or two among this group. A Top 15 guy or two. 

Most likely, its just a dart toss to figure out who that is. Teams got a 1 in 5 chance to get it right

Also, there will be some rando who vaults up draft boards into the top 5 around the combine. It always happens without fail once the nerds pour over the tape and see them make one off platform sidearm pass in spandex. 

Literally one throw at a pro day locked in Zach Wilson to the #2 pick....lol These scout guys dont know what the hell they are doing anymore than we do on this forum 1/2 the time.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 3

On 1/15/2022 at 4:52 AM, jrry32 said:

I fully expect this to be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer Jack Coan to Bailey Zappe. Yes, I did not expect to be saying that. I scoffed at the idea of Coan being a serious prospect not too long ago. But I took the time to watch a few of his games this year, and I was wrong. I think he goes relatively early on Day 3. Here's what I see:

Jack Coan - Got better and better as the season progressed. Arm strength was better than I thought it was based on casually viewing games. Accuracy isn't elite, but it was good, even great at times. Tough as nails. Good pocket presence and movement. Made NFL reads and looked smooth moving through progressions. Smart player. Not a big risk taker. Deep accuracy needs to improve. Not a lot of mobility. I think NFL teams will love a guy like him as a backup. Ceiling is Kirk Cousins. His more realistic comparison is Brian Hoyer.

Bailey Zappe - Great placement between the hashes. Some mobility. Compact release. Decisive with the ball. Willing to hang in the pocket. Good deep accuracy. Comfortable with the Air Raid progressions. Seems like a smart kid. Willing to take risks. Underwhelming arm strength. Throws outside the hashes are hit and miss. Will need some time to adjust to NFL offenses. When I watched Zappe, three QBs came to mind: David Fales, Colt McCoy, and Case Keenum. Could fall anywhere on that scale depending on how his transition to the NFL goes.

Interesting; I'll have to take a look at Coan. That said, I don't think I'd like him as much as you do simply for the bolded. I love Zappe's deep accuracy and I think it is the major selling point on him.

On 1/17/2022 at 10:31 AM, JetsandI said:

I heard he has hypermobility in his hand which is able to hold NCAA football just fine.  If true, we will need to find out whether or not he can hold NFL football in Mobile.

Pickett started working with Tony Racioppi before the 2021 season I think, and he's back with him in NJ now. I can't be positive, but I'm pretty sure Tony has him throwing with an NFL ball now in preparation for the draft, and he posts video clips on his twitter. Of course he's not going to post any bad reps, but it is worth looking at to get an idea of how Pickett will fare.

Watching more film on my guy Kaleb Eleby and I’m loving his release. Puts a lot of mustard on a ball when he decides to do so. Left me wondering about some thing’s…

Here is one of those things. Not sure how accurate. Interesting, nonetheless.

Numbers pulled from “…. Time to throw for each notable QB prospect … -@Matt_Gajewski” on Twitter

Bailey Zappe - 2.47 seconds 
Desmond Ridder - 2.48
Carson Strong - 2.5
Matt Corral - 2.65
Kaleb Eleby - 2.75
Sam Howell - 2.97
Kenny Pickett - 3.19
Malik Willis - 3.33

Edited by DaPatsKid98
typo 😡

On 1/17/2022 at 12:26 PM, Jraider91 said:

His arm just doesn't wow me, it is fine but he doesn't have any great tools. He might be a poor mans Burrow at his best. 

Imo what Pickett does really well is maneuver for space in the pocket. He's elusive in tight spaces and good at maintaining accuracy while creating space to throw.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:06 AM, Jraider91 said:

Yep, people don't like to hear it for whatever reason but there are some QBs who busted who would have been solid starters in different situations. For example players like Tim Couch, David Carr, Joey Harrington who were hard workers & mentally good at the position. 

Nope. A good situation will make a guy a little better but it won't rescue a bust. Those guys were going to be disappointments in any environment.

11 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

So I have a question.

I really want to like Malik Willis; but every time I put on a game of his, it is soooo underwhelming as a passer. So what is a good game from him? Because the accuracy is consistently terrible with a few flashes here and there.

Southern Miss in 2020.

9 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Imo what Pickett does really well is maneuver for space in the pocket. He's elusive in tight spaces and good at maintaining accuracy while creating space to throw.

Nope. A good situation will make a guy a little better but it won't rescue a bust. Those guys were going to be disappointments in any environment.

Southern Miss in 2020.

QB is a hugely dependant position

Alex Smith was a surefire bust for years until his situation was improved

Tannehill was a borderline bust until he went to TEN and now he is a capable starter.

Whilst not a bust because of the round he was drafted Rich Gannon was a pretty bad player then became an MVP in a better situation. 

A great situation can elevate an average player into a good one (Jake Plummer for e.g) and a good one into a very good one. Can't elevate them to being great though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jraider91 said:

QB is a hugely dependant position

Alex Smith was a surefire bust for years until his situation was improved

Tannehill was a borderline bust until he went to TEN and now he is a capable starter.

Whilst not a bust because of the round he was drafted Rich Gannon was a pretty bad player then became an MVP in a better situation. 

A great situation can elevate an average player into a good one (Jake Plummer for e.g) and a good one into a very good one. Can't elevate them to being great though. 

basically agree.

There are outliers but generally speaking if a guy can play you'll see flashes of good and be able to tell if it's the situation or not. Those guys you mentioned before were slow processors. It's possible if given even more opportunities they might also have become outliers like Smith or Gannon but it's not likely imo.

13 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

basically agree.

There are outliers but generally speaking if a guy can play you'll see flashes of good and be able to tell if it's the situation or not. Those guys you mentioned before were slow processors. It's possible if given even more opportunities they might also have become outliers like Smith or Gannon but it's not likely imo.

Yeah I stand by Couch, I think he was potentially good but yeah some of the others possibly not. 

On 1/24/2022 at 8:24 AM, battle2heaven said:

So I have a question.

I really want to like Malik Willis; but every time I put on a game of his, it is soooo underwhelming as a passer. So what is a good game from him? Because the accuracy is consistently terrible with a few flashes here and there.

I would throw out everything you've seen up until this point and wait to see what he does with higher level coaching at the Senior bowl then go from there, If you see improvements then he is a guy you can move forward with and would be worthy of a deeper look by teams. This seems fair 

On 1/18/2022 at 1:03 PM, Jeezla said:

Zappe sort of reminds me of Jimmy G. Hard to gauge his arm strength. 

He’s got game. I love how fluid his release is. He throws with purpose. Idk if he has the talent to be a star. But when I watch him I see there’s potential to win NFL games. 

Im really starting to like Carson Strong. I think he might have the talent to make it work. 

• Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 7:26 AM, brownie man said:

Im really starting to like Carson Strong. I think he might have the talent to make it work. 

i'm decidedly not a QB evaluator, but aside from willis he's the only guy in this class whose arm talent jumps out at me when i watch him.