Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

You know what I'll just get to the point:

As a prospect, is Desmond Ridder better than Kellen Mond?

Not at this point, Mond has more athletic ability than Ridder and played against far superior competition as well four years in a row.  Ridder has been solid and they are similar prospects physically and in how they play, but the competition level each goes up against is massively different.  To me that gives the nod to Mond but will see how Ridder does this year with great expectations, I assume they will be top 10 preseason nationally, see if Ridder and Cinci play like a top 10 team.  

• Like 3

On 6/17/2021 at 2:16 PM, MikeT14 said:

By year end, I think we will say so. 

Will see, Ridder has not even came close to passing for 3000 yards in a single season yet.  Mond did it once and almost did it twice, and again did it against much superior competition.  Ridder seems more like a running QB to me that has to greatly improve his passing.  Mond was early in his career but progressed as a passer, not sure Ridder has made the same type of progression.   And Mond was a 2nd or 3rd round pick as a prospect before the draft based on last years QB class and how deep it was, not sure Ridder is first round material at all and is probably in the 3rd or 4th round range right now, but sure that could change if he has improved as a passer.  

On 6/16/2021 at 8:23 PM, SteelKing728 said:

You know what I'll just get to the point:

As a prospect, is Desmond Ridder better than Kellen Mond?

Yes.  And I feel fairly confident that Ridder (as a junior) is a better prospect than Mond (as a senior).  Give him another year, and I think this discussion isn't even close.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Yes.  And I feel fairly confident that Ridder (as a junior) is a better prospect than Mond (as a senior).  Give him another year, and I think this discussion isn't even close.

I think Mond could be molded into a decent QB but I watch him and see a very raw player. I think Ridder can be a very good QB in the right system.

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Ehhh  Desmond Ridder is average right now as a QB prospect, sure Mond is a little stiff and robotic at times but the talk of Ridder being a 1st round pick is absolutely bull****.  Dude is a very limited passer against very suspect competition at times.  Austin Peay, USF, Memphis, Houston, ECU and Houston, yeah not horrible competition but not great either.  Texas A&M last year you ask, well #2 Bama, #4 Florida, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, Miss State and a bowl game against North Carolina.  Ridder against the best competition he faced all year in Georgia was crazy limited as a passer.  Both are 2nd-4th round picks depending on team needs.  

Will be interesting to watch Ridder and Cincinnati next year who have to play Indiana and Notre Dame back to back during the regular season and UCF should be greatly improved with Gus as the coach.  

• 2 months later...
38 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

I honestly don't see the hype with Ridder. He doesn't seem to have great arm talent and struggles to progress through reads. Strikes me as the perfect college QB and could stick around as a backup in the NFL.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting he's QB1 right now.  But the growth from 2020 to 2019 was significant.  If he continues to develop, could he not develop into a Colin Kaepernick level of QB?

54 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting he's QB1 right now.  But the growth from 2020 to 2019 was significant.  If he continues to develop, could he not develop into a Colin Kaepernick level of QB?

Colin Kaepernick had a cannon for an arm. Ridder really struggles to velocity on his throws. But beyond that, yes.

I guess I take offense to seeing him above players like Dillon Gabriel, who already has all the physical tools, and I take offense. It would take a meteoric leap for Ridder to become more than a day 2 pick in my eyes, but we've seen other prospects do it before.

3 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

Colin Kaepernick had a cannon for an arm. Ridder really struggles to velocity on his throws. But beyond that, yes.

I guess I take offense to seeing him above players like Dillon Gabriel, who already has all the physical tools, and I take offense. It would take a meteoric leap for Ridder to become more than a day 2 pick in my eyes, but we've seen other prospects do it before.

I'm not sure what game you're watching, but arm strength isn't an issue for Ridder.  And I'm not sure what games you're watching that lead you to believe that Gabriel is better then Ridder.  Gabriel has that Tebow throwing motion.

On 6/9/2021 at 8:39 AM, Texansfan713 said:

I posted in this group chat in my madden league I want the Texans to tank for Rattler.  Some dude responds "he sucks".  I responded by saying, he doesnt because he only has 1 full year as a starting QB.  Lincoln Riley puts QB's in round 1.  He responds back saying "he sucks".

Yeah nice logic. SMH

I dont get the Rattler hate. Burrow didnt set the world in fire out the gate.  I can go down the list. 

One of the things that people forget about Rattler is that he was a freshman playing during the covid season. He had some shaky performances to start the season but he definitely flashed big time potential. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 1:18 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

It looks like there might be a bunch of potential dual threat type QBs in this draft. It's shaping into a much more exciting class than I had originally thought.

Rattler has a chance to cement himself as QB1 but he has work to do. There are a ton of wild cards in this draft though, Daniels, Slovis, Willis, Howell, etc could be big risers with strong seasons. Although at this point I wouldn't be too thrilled if my team needed a QB at the top of the draft. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Going to search for Howell's draft stock. Brb. 

Jump In Water GIFs | Tenor

He was not that bad, I was more disappointed by that UNC offensive line that had tons of returning talent on there.  They got beat pretty consistently in pass protection and did not make a ton of holes in the run game.  Also Howell clearly was different without Newsome and Brown out there not to mention Carter and Williams who are arguably two of the best RBs on any one team in the last 5-10 years in college.  Both have a chance to be very good pros, so potentially not only did they both catch the ball well out of the backfield, they also possibly made that OL look a lot better than they really are with both of their abilities as a RB.

Howell did look different sure but he did not get much help, huge win for Virginia Tech, one of the biggest wins for them in years.  Cannot recall a bigger more high profile televised game that VT won recently.  It was a huge win for that program and they sure did look good especially on D.  Will see the next few weeks if it all was legit or not maybe UNC was just super overrated.

Even if Howell drops out of the top 10 he is still a promising QB prospect with his poise, temperament, athletic ability and arm talent.  Put Spencer Rattler behind that OL with those WRs against VT and he probably would not look that great either.