Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

I am going to be honest, QB talk at times gets kind of....

ca106d1b-a46f-4056-a861-05417bccfa40

veliko-povracanje.gif

I mean there are a ton of standout prospects from a variety of positions but no one says a word about them, all the talk is QB, QB, QB and QB.  Sure QBs are wildly important to NFL team success but fact is Tom Brady is surrounded by amazing talent on the OL, WR and TE spots and so are the Chiefs not to mention the defensive side of the ball for both teams.  For example does anyone even care that Matt Hankins on Iowa is wildly improved from last year and has increased his draft stock probably up 3-4 rounds...apparently not.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I am going to be honest, QB talk at times gets kind of....

I mean there are a ton of standout prospects from a variety of positions but no one says a word about them, all the talk is QB, QB, QB and QB.  Sure QBs are wildly important to NFL team success but fact is Tom Brady is surrounded by amazing talent on the OL, WR and TE spots and so are the Chiefs not to mention the defensive side of the ball for both teams.  For example does anyone even care that Matt Hankins on Iowa is wildly improved from last year and has increased his draft stock probably up 3-4 rounds...apparently not.

I think for the average fan it's much easier to evaluate QB's and skill position players then it is to evaluate any other position. There's a reason that 6/7 the last #1 picks have been quarterbacks, it's the most important position in the game and the difference between having an average/good QB and an elite QB is massive. Essentially every good QB in the NFL is surrounded by talent. 

I think this year the QB conversation is more interesting then the past few years because there really isn't "a guy" at the top of the draft. Howell/Rattler came into the year projected to be the two best prospects but neither was elite last season. And this year is particularly interesting because you have a bunch of guys playing at smaller programs that have a chance to go high in the draft like Malik Willis, Carson Strong, Desmond Ridder, etc. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think for the average fan it's much easier to evaluate QB's and skill position players then it is to evaluate any other position. There's a reason that 6/7 the last #1 picks have been quarterbacks, it's the most important position in the game and the difference between having an average/good QB and an elite QB is massive. Essentially every good QB in the NFL is surrounded by talent. 

I think this year the QB conversation is more interesting then the past few years because there really isn't "a guy" at the top of the draft. Howell/Rattler came into the year projected to be the two best prospects but neither was elite last season. And this year is particularly interesting because you have a bunch of guys playing at smaller programs that have a chance to go high in the draft like Malik Willis, Carson Strong, Desmond Ridder, etc. 

True but a similar thread last year had many talking about Mac Jones as if he has this terrible arm and should be a 3rd round pick and will never be a starting QB in the NFL and will forever be a backup.  Then others saying Trey Lance is a total piece of crap and yeah some of the QB opinions around in terms of projection are worth throwing up about from time to time.  But sure is fun to talk about but a bit frustrating when one actually watches other players development as well.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but a similar thread last year had many talking about Mac Jones as if he has this terrible arm and should be a 3rd round pick and will never be a starting QB in the NFL and will forever be a backup.  Then others saying Trey Lance is a total piece of crap and yeah some of the QB opinions around in terms of projection are worth throwing up about from time to time.  But sure is fun to talk about but a bit frustrating when one actually watches other players development as well.

Mac Jones had an okay debut but wasn't great and Trey Lance hasn't shown anything in the NFL yet, but it's only been 1 week. 

This is the 2022 QB thread, there are other threads to discuss other positional groups and prospects. 

On 9/14/2021 at 6:08 PM, Ozzy said:

QB is the "easiest" position to evaluate because you have the cleanest view on TV.  When you're evaluating OL, you're largely looking at multiple big guys in a small area, so it's harder to evaluate them fully.

On 9/15/2021 at 4:41 PM, NYRaider said:

Solid prospect, wanna see how he throws the deep ball this year though. His lack of mobility and knee concerns are definitely red flags though.

There's really nothing there.  Solid backup QB in the NFL is his realistic upside.  Can't put my finger on the comp.  He's got virtually no mobility.