Jump to content

Official 2022 QB Thread


Recommended Posts

After watching a few guys, these would be my rankings (QB class is pretty damn bad though):

1. Matt Corral, Ole Miss

2. Malik Willis, Liberty

3. Carson Strong, Nevada

4. Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati 

5. Sam Howell, North Carolina 

All of them have pretty big flaws in their games as prospects but those are the 5 best prospects that I've watched this season. Corral and Willis would both have borderline 1st round grades at this point but I don't love any of them super early in the draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

After watching a few guys, these would be my rankings (QB class is pretty damn bad though):

1. Matt Corral, Ole Miss

2. Malik Willis, Liberty

3. Carson Strong, Nevada

4. Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati 

5. Sam Howell, North Carolina 

All of them have pretty big flaws in their games as prospects but those are the 5 best prospects that I've watched this season. Corral and Willis would both have borderline 1st round grades at this point but I don't love any of them super early in the draft. 

Corral was pretty good last year. He definitely helped keep the second-tier Oxford in some games. His LSU and Arkansas games were absolutely brutal though. Beating up on Austin Peay doesn't move the needle for me, but the Tulane game was certainly impressive. I wouldn't dare call him a first rounder yet though. 

Willis seems to have picked up right where he left off. He's definitely one to keep an eye on. 

Strong, Ridder, and Howell all just leave something to be desired for me. Late 1st-potential 3rd rounder group there.

But yeah, this is an atrocious class. Reminds me of the 2013 class, where Manuel and Smith got high grades simply for being the shiniest of the turds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Corral was pretty good last year. He definitely helped keep the second-tier Oxford in some games. His LSU and Arkansas games were absolutely brutal though. Beating up on Austin Peay doesn't move the needle for me, but the Tulane game was certainly impressive. I wouldn't dare call him a first rounder yet though. 

Willis seems to have picked up right where he left off. He's definitely one to keep an eye on. 

Strong, Ridder, and Howell all just leave something to be desired for me. Late 1st-potential 3rd rounder group there.

But yeah, this is an atrocious class. Reminds me of the 2013 class, where Manuel and Smith got high grades simply for being the shiniest of the turds.

Corral is pretty small but he has impressed me this year. 100 pass attempts, 33 rushing attempts and 14 TD/0 TO through their first 3 games. He has done a much better job of taking care of the football this year and looked good against Tulane and Louisville. Ole Miss plays Alabama next so that will be the first real test for him this season, if he plays well he'll be firmly in the 1st round discussion. Corral reminds me of Zach Wilson as a prospect. 

I like Willis, he has a cannon and is super mobile, I just wish we got to see him against better competition. He reminds me of Jalen Hurts, although he's probably a better athlete and has a stronger arm. 

Strong is okay, he has a cannon and definitely makes some crazy throws. He's just so immobile and his knee is definitely a major red flag.

Howell reminds me of a poor man's Baker Mayfield, I don't see it at all with him.

I like Ridder as a developmental player, I've seen him compared to Kapernick and I think that's fair. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Corral is pretty small but he has impressed me this year. 100 pass attempts, 33 rushing attempts and 14 TD/0 TO through their first 3 games. He has done a much better job of taking care of the football this year and looked good against Tulane and Louisville. Ole Miss plays Alabama next so that will be the first real test for him this season, if he plays well he'll be firmly in the 1st round discussion. Corral reminds me of Zach Wilson as a prospect. 

I like Willis, he has a cannon and is super mobile, I just wish we got to see him against better competition. He reminds me of Jalen Hurts, although he's probably a better athlete and has a stronger arm. 

Strong is okay, he has a cannon and definitely makes some crazy throws. He's just so immobile and his knee is definitely a major red flag.

Howell reminds me of a poor man's Baker Mayfield, I don't see it at all with him.

I like Ridder as a developmental player, I've seen him compared to Kapernick and I think that's fair. 

Corral- agreed. 

Willis- agreed. 

Strong- pretty much. 

Howell- agreed and I'm glad to not be the only one. 

Ridder- I think he has the highest upside of the bunch if he can put it all together, so agreed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Corral- agreed. 

Willis- agreed. 

Strong- pretty much. 

Howell- agreed and I'm glad to not be the only one. 

Ridder- I think he has the highest upside of the bunch if he can put it all together, so agreed.

Ok first off Sam Howell has out of this world numbers and is even continuing to do so this year despite being around a lot less talent on UNC.  Those first two years he was on some loaded offensive rosters especially at RB, but this year not the case and he is still being pretty damn productive and is completely the leader and reason that team and program has turned around.  

 

 

In terms of Spencer Rattler, well the dude is struggling with the oddly poor OL, thought they would have been better and they lost a few offensive weapons, and the RB core is kind of random also.  Still the kid can make some sick throws when he is on.

6B395B1B-5897-4C15-8D35-772337D2A241.gif

 

Not many guys can go out and do that against very good coverage

960FFD76-DB3E-4D46-A88D-71EEA5556F26.gif

678c1927-a022-45da-ae2b-21cb97d073c1_812

 

 

So to just right him off as crap is kind of stupid, he is easily a 1st round pick at QB and has as much arm talent as any of them.

 

In terms of Ridder, he is damn lucky McFadden got hurt in that game because they were very close to losing that game by a lot.  Arguably if McFadden did not get kicked out of the game they would have never won.  Good for him and Cincinnati they won the game but still his arm is kind of questionable and his athletic superiority is kind of questionable.  He is a decent athlete but honestly is not that great athletically compared to elite athletes.  Either way his inaccuracy is an issue and it is not like he has some wow arm talent either.

 

Corral has played great though so far this year, will see if he can keep it up and keep making good choices.  But honestly they have a fine WR core and super deep RB core that keeps defenders off him because they are so afraid of the big strong receivers or the variety of backs who can take it to the house.  Think Sam Howell could not do the same in that offensive system?  My guess is if they traded teams Sam Howell was on this years Ole Miss team and Corral was on this years UNC team Howell would do just fine and not sure Corral would on UNC but who knows.  

Either way I need to see more from Corral to put him ahead of Rattler and Howell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Ok first off Sam Howell has out of this world numbers and is even continuing to do so this year despite being around a lot less talent on UNC.  Those first two years he was on some loaded offensive rosters especially at RB, but this year not the case and he is still being pretty damn productive and is completely the leader and reason that team and program has turned around.  

In terms of Spencer Rattler, well the dude is struggling with the oddly poor OL, thought they would have been better and they lost a few offensive weapons, and the RB core is kind of random also.  Still the kid can make some sick throws when he is on.

Not many guys can go out and do that against very good coverage

So to just right him off as crap is kind of stupid, he is easily a 1st round pick at QB and has as much arm talent as any of them.

In terms of Ridder, he is damn lucky McFadden got hurt in that game because they were very close to losing that game by a lot.  Arguably if McFadden did not get kicked out of the game they would have never won.  Good for him and Cincinnati they won the game but still his arm is kind of questionable and his athletic superiority is kind of questionable.  He is a decent athlete but honestly is not that great athletically compared to elite athletes.  Either way his inaccuracy is an issue and it is not like he has some wow arm talent either.

Corral has played great though so far this year, will see if he can keep it up and keep making good choices.  But honestly they have a fine WR core and super deep RB core that keeps defenders off him because they are so afraid of the big strong receivers or the variety of backs who can take it to the house.  Think Sam Howell could not do the same in that offensive system?  My guess is if they traded teams Sam Howell was on this years Ole Miss team and Corral was on this years UNC team Howell would do just fine and not sure Corral would on UNC but who knows.  

Either way I need to see more from Corral to put him ahead of Rattler and Howell.

Out of this world numbers against Georgia State and Virginia. He looked terrible against Virginia Tech, the one good team he has faced this year. You said the team was loaded so how is he the reason the program turned around? They're 17-11 since Howell took over as the starter and have never even made the ACC title game with him under center. 

Oklahoma has recruited at an elite level and has a ton of talented players around Rattler. Being a good NFL QB takes more then just being able to make amazing throws every once in a while. No one is writing him off as a potential first round pick but I think he has a ways to go, he'd probably be doing himself a favor returning to school and playing one more year of college football. Whether it's fair or not, Rattler has received a ton of hype, largely in part to the success of other QB's that came through the program recently like Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, and Jalen Hurts. I agree that he definitely has some great moments but he's inconsistent, which is understandable considering he has hardly played and the majority of his playing time came during the covid year. 

Ridder is a solid developmental prospect but I wouldn't spend an early first round pick on him. I've heard Kapernick comparisons and I think they share some similarities but Marcus Mariota is another decent comparison for him.

And yeah that's the thing with Corral, we'll know for certain what he's made of because we're going to see him play against a few of the best programs in the country this year. You were just referring to all of the NFL talent Howell has had around him including multiple NFL WR's and RB's but now it's unfair for Corral? Corral is more mobile then Howell, he's leading Ole Miss in rushing attempts and TD this season, lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Out of this world numbers against Georgia State and Virginia. He looked terrible against Virginia Tech, the one good team he has faced this year. You said the team was loaded so how is he the reason the program turned around? They're 17-11 since Howell took over as the starter and have never even made the ACC title game with him under center. 

Oklahoma has recruited at an elite level and has a ton of talented players around Rattler. Being a good NFL QB takes more then just being able to make amazing throws every once in a while. No one is writing him off as a potential first round pick but I think he has a ways to go, he'd probably be doing himself a favor returning to school and playing one more year of college football. Whether it's fair or not, Rattler has received a ton of hype, largely in part to the success of other QB's that came through the program recently like Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, and Jalen Hurts. I agree that he definitely has some great moments but he's inconsistent, which is understandable considering he has hardly played and the majority of his playing time came during the covid year. 

Ridder is a solid developmental prospect but I wouldn't spend an early first round pick on him. I've heard Kapernick comparisons and I think they share some similarities but Marcus Mariota is another decent comparison for him.

And yeah that's the thing with Corral, we'll know for certain what he's made of because we're going to see him play against a few of the best programs in the country this year. You were just referring to all of the NFL talent Howell has had around him including multiple NFL WR's and RB's but now it's unfair for Corral? Corral is more mobile then Howell, he's leading Ole Miss in rushing attempts and TD this season, lol. 

Sam Howell is poised to become the best UNC quarterback of all time, it is not a great list but he is way better than Marquise Williams, TJ Yates, Bryn Renner, Ronald Curry, Oscar Davenport etc.  Could even argue he is better than Mitchell Trubsiky as well because he has far more longevity than just one productive year.  Have they won the national title yet?  Yeah of course not, and not a shocker they did not beat up on Clemson no one in the ACC has in almost 10 years but that could change now with how Clemson has looked recently.  Either way Howell has been at an elite level since his freshman year and should easily be a 1st round pick if he declares.  Sam Howell is a damn good QB in a school that does not have a great QB history at all and the dude makes a crap ton of plays.  Virginia is a very decent football team and he had no problem putting up numbers against them and should have just a fine season, and last time I checked Virginia Tech is not some awful team or something.    

Ridder is not Kapernick, he does not have near the ball velocity on his throws and honestly he is not near the athlete either.  Kapernick had 2000-3000 yards passing three years in a row and each year had 1100+ yards rushing each of those three seasons.  Also physically he looks quite a bit taller as well, sure in college I think Kap was listed at 6-6 then got to the league at 6-4, would not be surprised if Ridder is closer to 6-3.

 

And no crap Corral is leading them in rush attempts, but pretend all you want Jerrion Ealy, Henry Parrish and Snoop Conner have nothing to do with Corral being successful offensively.  Ole Miss is 6th in the nation in rushing, Florida is 2nd and both rely greatly on the QB run game and have multiple running backs that support the QB in the run game.  Take all those running backs out and see how hard it is to run the ball from the QB spot, and unlike Florida, Ole Miss has some damn good receivers in Mingo, Drummond, Sanders and Rhy Plumlee who was a 1000 yard rusher at QB a few years back, not to mention the backs who are weapons out of the backfield as well catching the ball.  Either way that is a fine offensive system and Corral has been very good in it but yeah right many QBs could not succeed in that system as well if put in it.  Will see how Corral looks against legit competition because so far this year his competition level has just been ok, no real great teams they faced yet.  Will be great to see him against Bama and Arkansas not to mention A&M later in the year.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the first week I peaked at the numbers. Very early but there don't appear to be too many 11 YPA candidates so far. One who might sustain that level is Bailey Zappe of Western Kentucky, a transfer from Houston Baptist.

Very clever player who fits the modern NFL. Excellent movement and variety of pace and loft. However, he is hardly a physical specimen. I'm not sure about his arm strength, after looking at a few clips. Definitely more of a touch guy than a rocket. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

This is the first week I peaked at the numbers. Very early but there don't appear to be too many 11 YPA candidates so far. One who might sustain that level is Bailey Zappe of Western Kentucky, a transfer from Houston Baptist.

Very clever player who fits the modern NFL. Excellent movement and variety of pace and loft. However, he is hardly a physical specimen. I'm not sure about his arm strength, after looking at a few clips. Definitely more of a touch guy than a rocket. 

Yards per attempt is a thing?  What since recently guys drafted highly have had good yards per attempt like Zach Wilson, Mac Jones, Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts, Tua, Baker Mayfield etc? 

Grayson McCall and Dorian Thompson-Robinson are both above 11 YPA, McCall is actually 12 so he is great because of that?  Mind you he is a very promising QB but it is more because of his ability to extend plays, not sure it is super telling of his pure arm talent.

Kaleb Eleby lead the nation last year in YPA, so he is someone to watch just based on that stat?  Maybe who knows, I think it is more a sign of improved offenses and the defenses inability to slow them down and or stop them.  More soft coverage so teams do not get beat by the QB run or by reverses, thus easier to gain big yards because they are playing off coverage keeping everything infront of them.

 

Either way one would think there would be defensive minds in the game just like offensive and think of something new to do defensively.  Think of all the changes in plays made and systems ran offensively in the last 10 years, that cannot be said on the defensive side of the ball at all.  Only thing that is kind of different is the double A gap blitz Zimmer helped start in the NFL, lot of teams do that but that is not really a system or anything.  Would be nice to see a little creativity defensively like offensively and maybe someone could start stopping somebody for once.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Sam Howell is poised to become the best UNC quarterback of all time, it is not a great list but he is way better than Marquise Williams, TJ Yates, Bryn Renner, Ronald Curry, Oscar Davenport etc.  Could even argue he is better than Mitchell Trubsiky as well because he has far more longevity than just one productive year.  Have they won the national title yet?  Yeah of course not, and not a shocker they did not beat up on Clemson no one in the ACC has in almost 10 years but that could change now with how Clemson has looked recently.  Either way Howell has been at an elite level since his freshman year and should easily be a 1st round pick if he declares.  Sam Howell is a damn good QB in a school that does not have a great QB history at all and the dude makes a crap ton of plays.  Virginia is a very decent football team and he had no problem putting up numbers against them and should have just a fine season, and last time I checked Virginia Tech is not some awful team or something.    

Ridder is not Kapernick, he does not have near the ball velocity on his throws and honestly he is not near the athlete either.  Kapernick had 2000-3000 yards passing three years in a row and each year had 1100+ yards rushing each of those three seasons.  Also physically he looks quite a bit taller as well, sure in college I think Kap was listed at 6-6 then got to the league at 6-4, would not be surprised if Ridder is closer to 6-3.

 

And no crap Corral is leading them in rush attempts, but pretend all you want Jerrion Ealy, Henry Parrish and Snoop Conner have nothing to do with Corral being successful offensively.  Ole Miss is 6th in the nation in rushing, Florida is 2nd and both rely greatly on the QB run game and have multiple running backs that support the QB in the run game.  Take all those running backs out and see how hard it is to run the ball from the QB spot, and unlike Florida, Ole Miss has some damn good receivers in Mingo, Drummond, Sanders and Rhy Plumlee who was a 1000 yard rusher at QB a few years back, not to mention the backs who are weapons out of the backfield as well catching the ball.  Either way that is a fine offensive system and Corral has been very good in it but yeah right many QBs could not succeed in that system as well if put in it.  Will see how Corral looks against legit competition because so far this year his competition level has just been ok, no real great teams they faced yet.  Will be great to see him against Bama and Arkansas not to mention A&M later in the year.

 

 

Not great? 

That's a sad list.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Sam Howell is poised to become the best UNC quarterback of all time, it is not a great list but he is way better than Marquise Williams, TJ Yates, Bryn Renner, Ronald Curry, Oscar Davenport etc.  Could even argue he is better than Mitchell Trubsiky as well because he has far more longevity than just one productive year.  Have they won the national title yet?  Yeah of course not, and not a shocker they did not beat up on Clemson no one in the ACC has in almost 10 years but that could change now with how Clemson has looked recently.  Either way Howell has been at an elite level since his freshman year and should easily be a 1st round pick if he declares.  Sam Howell is a damn good QB in a school that does not have a great QB history at all and the dude makes a crap ton of plays.  Virginia is a very decent football team and he had no problem putting up numbers against them and should have just a fine season, and last time I checked Virginia Tech is not some awful team or something.    

Being the best UNC QB is like being the tallest midget, it means nothing at all, it's a basketball school. You don't think North Carolina's recent kinda success is correlated to bringing back one of the most successful coaches in college football history? Virginia Tech is okay but they completely embarrassed Sam Howell, not a great look, probably one of the worst performances for a "1st round QB" in a decade. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2021 at 12:43 AM, NYRaider said:

After watching a few guys, these would be my rankings (QB class is pretty damn bad though):

1. Matt Corral, Ole Miss

2. Malik Willis, Liberty

3. Carson Strong, Nevada

4. Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati 

5. Sam Howell, North Carolina 

All of them have pretty big flaws in their games as prospects but those are the 5 best prospects that I've watched this season. Corral and Willis would both have borderline 1st round grades at this point but I don't love any of them super early in the draft. 

Feel bad for teams drafting a QB next year damn.  How bad could Atlanta look for passing on Fields/Mac when they have another top-5 pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DirtyDez said:

Feel bad for teams drafting a QB next year damn.  How bad could Atlanta look for passing on Fields/Mac when they have another top-5 pick.

Passing on Fields will likely prove to be a mistake but Mac Jones in the top 5? Meh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...