Raiders release David Irving

big_palooka

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Can't help but laugh at this one. Fans here calling him the "Darren Waller on defense". So much of you had blind hope on him being an answer to the interior pass rush. 

Solomon Thomas szn I guess 

I hope not. I have more hope that Darius Stills can be a NFL player than Solomon Thomas.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

they werent going to let anybody beat maliek collins for snaps after dubbing him the centerpiece of the defense before camp even started. his snaps over Hurst were about as earned as Witten's over Moreau

Hurst had 8 sacks in 40 games and his sack totals went down every year. 

56 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I called this.  I was saying he was lucky if he made the team and people were floating 8 sacks and a breakout for this guy. 

He was juiced out during the 2017 season and without the juice he is a total bum.  Out of football for years no longer on the juice.... Didn't even make it to training camp.  Back on the couch where he belongs LOL

Like I said back then, if he came to the off-season in shape ready to go he had a chance to have at least four sacks which would’ve helped our D line out tremendously given the amount of sacks from the interior that we had last year. I’m willing to bet him getting cut is because he was out of shape. The same thing happened to PJ hall last year. That being said a lot of the stuff I said about him was also before The team signed Solomon Thomas(Who I think has the most talent out of all of them from a ceiling perspective.)

18 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Like I said back then, if he came to the off-season in shape ready to go he had a chance to have at least four sacks which would’ve helped our D line out tremendously given the amount of sacks from the interior that we had last year. I’m willing to bet him getting cut is because he was out of shape. The same thing happened to PJ hall last year. That being said a lot of the stuff I said about him was also before The team signed Solomon Thomas(Who I think has the most talent out of all of them from a ceiling perspective.)

I agree that Thomas has the most talent, he was a top 5 pick a few years ago.  I was the first one on here to project him to us before FA started, so I like the move from a talent and upside prospective.  The question with Thomas is does he have the desire to want to be worthy of a top 5 pick? People have been throwing the word "dog" around a lot here lately and that is the question with ST.  Is he a dog and does he want to take his game to a pro bowl level.?  It's all up to him.  The talent is clearly there but does he have the heart?

We got into about Irving a few months ago.  You said you expected 4 to 8 sacks from him this season based on film you broke down from his juiced out 2017.  I said he was a bum who would be lucky to make it out of camp based on the fact he was juiced in 2017, sat out of football for years, suspended multiple times, decided to make a comeback then signed with one of the least talented D-lines in the NfL and couldn't see the field.  That is all I needed to know that the guy was a complete bum. 

I also wouldn't waste one second of my life breaking down film on a lazy bum who wasn't drafted and had a few good games because he was juiced out 5 years ago.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

Did any of our other dts post better #’s?

Clelin Ferrell but like I said saying Mo Hurst was our best DT is like saying someone is the tallest midget. Hurst is the reason Andre James got paid, dude must have been destroying Hurst in practice. 

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Clelin Ferrell but like I said saying Mo Hurst was our best DT is like saying someone is the tallest midget. Hurst is the reason Andre James got paid, dude must have been destroying Hurst in practice. 

its more than just sack totals. you know this.

film guys like Ted Nguyen were also startled by the release because he always showed well. and even the guys at PFF had Hurst grading out well.

30 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

But....why? 

Why do we cut guys from our weakest unit after not really even addressing it properly? 

Christ.

Irving clearly wasn't the answer. 

The fact that many fans are bent out of shape over the release of Irving is a clear sign that our Dline is still amongst the worst in the NFL.  We really need Thomas to step up and become an interior force.  He has the talent but does he have the heart?

The fact that Robert Saleh saw Thomas everyday and didn't pursue him in FA is a red flag.  Who wouldn't want to add a 25 year old top 3 pick to their squad as a new HC if he showed that he was worth signing.  

13 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Irving clearly wasn't the answer. 

The fact that many fans are bent out of shape over the release of Irving is a clear sign that our Dline is still amongst the worst in the NFL.  We really need Thomas to step up and become an interior force.  He has the talent but does he have the heart?

The fact that Robert Saleh saw Thomas everyday and didn't pursue him in FA is a red flag.  Who wouldn't want to add a 25 year old top 3 pick to their squad as a new HC if he showed that he was worth signing.  

Is it Heart ? He just appears to be a classic tweener and Rotational guy 

5 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Is it Heart ? He just appears to be a classic tweener and Rotational guy 

He clearly has the talent as a former top 3 pick, so what else can it be?  He has the talent to be a pro bowler but lacks heart and drive.  Hopefully he is inspired with a fresh start and steps up his game.  We need him to play well but I'm not holding my breath. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree that Thomas has the most talent, he was a top 5 pick a few years ago.  I was the first one on here to project him to us before FA started, so I like the move from a talent and upside prospective.  The question with Thomas is does he have the desire to want to be worthy of a top 5 pick? People have been throwing the word "dog" around a lot here lately and that is the question with ST.  Is he a dog and does he want to take his game to a pro bowl level.?  It's all up to him.  The talent is clearly there but does he have the heart?

We got into about Irving a few months ago.  You said you expected 4 to 8 sacks from him this season based on film you broke down from his juiced out 2017.  I said he was a bum who would be lucky to make it out of camp based on the fact he was juiced in 2017, sat out of football for years, suspended multiple times, decided to make a comeback then signed with one of the least talented D-lines in the NfL and couldn't see the field.  That is all I needed to know that the guy was a complete bum. 

I also wouldn't waste one second of my life breaking down film on a lazy bum who wasn't drafted and had a few good games because he was juiced out 5 years ago.

In terms of Thomas I never thought he was used right due to the fact that he got his recognition in college being a defensive  tackle and when he came into the NFL they put them in defensive end. He puts up 30 on the press so you can’t say he’s too weak to play DT. The niners basically drafted him to be an experiment in playing the position that basically Ferrell plays. They didn’t need them defense defense of tackle because they had one of the DT in the NFL. The way this goes wrong(which it already has because I don’t think they should’ve cut Irving) is if they just hand Solomon Thomas the job (like they did Malik Collins). I think it would be a completely stupid idea if they did that. 

In terms of Irving being cut, I will always break down film to see what a player does or doesn’t bring to the table. To be clear I said “he could be a 4-8 sack guy if he has a for off-season and wins the starting job”. 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1