Raiders release David Irving

big_palooka

6 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He clearly has the talent as a former top 3 pick, so what else can it be?  He has the talent to be a pro bowler but lacks heart and drive.  Hopefully he is inspired with a fresh start and steps up his game.  We need him to play well but I'm not holding my breath. 

There was that whole depression thing after his sister passed away so there’s that

37 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yep. 

Sure, he himself wasn't the answer to our woes. But the last thing our D-line needed was even less competition. 

It depends on why he was released.  Being a fringe roster player and showing up terribly out of shape is grounds to get cut if that was what happened.  A fringe roster player showing up out of shape is a clear indication that he could care less about football.   

It's either that or there was some type of incident that has yet to be reported.

Either way the guy is a bum.  

7 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He clearly has the talent as a former top 3 pick, so what else can it be?  He has the talent to be a pro bowler but lacks heart and drive.  Hopefully he is inspired with a fresh start and steps up his game.  We need him to play well but I'm not holding my breath. 

I guess my point was regardless of his draft pedigree his game doesn’t translate to the NFL. ( I’m no draft guru just my observation and talking to my Niner Fan Friends ) lol

3 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

I guess my point was regardless of his draft pedigree his game doesn’t translate to the NFL. ( I’m no draft guru just my observation and talking to my Niner Fan Friends ) lol

I've seen a lot of fans claiming he was played out of position and that was the reason for his lack of success in SF.  To me it sounds like another excuse for a castoff player we are pumping up out of desperation.  We need Thomas to play like a top 3 pick but like I said I am not holding my breath.  

The fact that Saleh never pursued him in FA is an indication that he didn't think highly of his game. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, atran35 said:

Cowboys fans wanted him to be re signed or kept...this is what happen...

I just watched the video.  Nice find and this totally backs up my assessment of Irving. 

The guy is a lazy bum and I am glad he is off this roster.  He was out of football for years because of multiple violations including PED's, comes back to a team so devoid of talent along the Dline, couldn't see the field yet still he thinks he's special and can be lazy?

He most likely he once again showed up completely out of shape and thinks that is ok because he had a few good games 5 years ago when he was juiced.  What a joke...  Back to the couch Mr. Irving, right where you belong.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Irving clearly wasn't the answer. 

The fact that many fans are bent out of shape over the release of Irving is a clear sign that our Dline is still amongst the worst in the NFL.  We really need Thomas to step up and become an interior force.  He has the talent but does he have the heart?

The fact that Robert Saleh saw Thomas everyday and didn't pursue him in FA is a red flag.  Who wouldn't want to add a 25 year old top 3 pick to their squad as a new HC if he showed that he was worth signing.  

I don't disagree fundamentally with what you're saying here and likely it's right but...... What if Thomas wanted a change of scenery as he felt Salah was using him wrong in San Francisco (which I think he was). How do we know Salah is a great coach or even a decent judge of players? He only really had success with a loaded defence and was very average prior to that. Personally I think he's the new 'hot coordinator' turned HC and I think he's very likely overrated. 

Now, Solomon Thomas may well amount to nothing here, but he did have great film at 3T in college and a lot of people felt he wasn't used right, plus he obviously had some off field stuff going on. I am cautiously optimistic on him but if all things to hold against him, Salah not re-signing him wouldn't necessarily be a major one for me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I don't disagree fundamentally with what you're saying here and likely it's right but...... What if Thomas wanted a change of scenery as he felt Salah was using him wrong in San Francisco (which I think he was). How do we know Salah is a great coach or even a decent judge of players? He only really had success with a loaded defence and was very average prior to that. Personally I think he's the new 'hot coordinator' turned HC and I think he's very likely overrated. 

Now, Solomon Thomas may well amount to nothing here, but he did have great film at 3T in college and a lot of people felt he wasn't used right, plus he obviously had some off field stuff going on. I am cautiously optimistic on him but if all things to hold against him, Salah not re-signing him wouldn't necessarily be a major one for me.

A lot of people think he was being used wrong, which sounds like desperate fans hoping we have found a diamond in the rough and making excuses for a player who has underperformed his whole NFL career.   It's possible the 9ers were completely inept and using him incorrectly but highly unlikely, unless we are assuming that the coaches in SF don't know what they're doing.  Using a stud DT or even a rotational DT force out of position for years?  That to me makes zero sense. 

Saleh was in the market for a DT, as he signed Rankins but there were no rumors that he was interested in ST.  I am assuming he knows more about ST than the posters on this forum and for these reasons I am not holding my breath that he becomes the stud interior pass rusher we so desperately need. 

Not a bad value signing for 3 million as he does have upside but once again I am not holding my breath.  

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Clelin Ferrell but like I said saying Mo Hurst was our best DT is like saying someone is the tallest midget. Hurst is the reason Andre James got paid, dude must have been destroying Hurst in practice. 

Where’s this Andre dominating people at practice coming from? 

27 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

A lot of people think he was being used wrong, which sounds like desperate fans hoping we have found a diamond in the rough and making excuses for a player who has underperformed his whole NFL career.   It's possible the 9ers were completely inept and using him incorrectly but highly unlikely, unless we are assuming that the coaches in SF don't know what they're doing.  Using a stud DT or even a rotational DT force out of position for years?  That to me makes zero sense. 

Saleh was in the market for a DT, as he signed Rankins but there were no rumors that he was interested in ST.  I am assuming he knows more about ST than the posters on this forum and for these reasons I am not holding my breath that he becomes the stud interior pass rusher we so desperately need. 

Not a bad value signing for 3 million as he does have upside but once again I am not holding my breath.  

I can only proffer my opinion of course but having been high on Thomas in the draft as an explosive, pass rushing DT who was also inordinately strong considering his relative lightness and then having watched him numerous times for San Francisco (where admittedly he did play inside at times) he was in my very amateur opinion used in a less than optimum way and played mostly end where he was a bit slow and cumbersome.

I also though he wasn't THAT BAD when he played, better than a Maliek Collins in that he was a good run defender but not the impact you expect from a very high pick. I think if we play him exclusively inside as a 3T then we'll have at least a chance of some return on our pretty small investment. I don't expect him to suddenly turn on a switch though and become a dominant DT. Useful pass rushing or rotation DT should be achievable.

16 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I guess it's slow until training camp so people overreacting to little news. Hurst getting hyped like he is an all pro, and he is likely just a rotation piece for the 9ers and the same tier as Jefferson.  Irving was like the 4th or 5th DT and was cut. not the end of the world 

nobody is calling hurst an all pro

and jefferson profiles as our best DT right now