Raiders release David Irving

big_palooka

53 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

So in this thread is gonna suit up for DT?  Need all the men we can get. 

I mean, I played S for a long time before my knees went bad. But with our endless desire to play people out of position, I could be at least as strong a candidate as Irving lol

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Clelin Ferrell but like I said saying Mo Hurst was our best DT is like saying someone is the tallest midget. Hurst is the reason Andre James got paid, dude must have been destroying Hurst in practice. 

Lol Andre James wasn't destroying nothing this way over the top.

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I can only proffer my opinion of course but having been high on Thomas in the draft as an explosive, pass rushing DT who was also inordinately strong considering his relative lightness and then having watched him numerous times for San Francisco (where admittedly he did play inside at times) he was in my very amateur opinion used in a less than optimum way and played mostly end where he was a bit slow and cumbersome.

I also though he wasn't THAT BAD when he played, better than a Maliek Collins in that he was a good run defender but not the impact you expect from a very high pick. I think if we play him exclusively inside as a 3T then we'll have at least a chance of some return on our pretty small investment. I don't expect him to suddenly turn on a switch though and become a dominant DT. Useful pass rushing or rotation DT should be achievable.

And to add to this, Thomas played through most of his short career to this point alongside Buckner and Armstead. Both of whom play a lot of the same spots and versatility that Thomas was supposed to be bringing. Buckner being an all pro caliber guy, and Armstead having one season of pro bowl caliber play and other flashes, and then Bosa was added to the mix. 

I also don't think it's realistic to put all our eggs in the Thomas was used wrong and will break out with us basket. But on the subject of there being little room for getting more out of him because it doesn't seem possible/likely he/a disruptive DT type wasn't utilized correctly by a good coaching staff there's something to be said about the possibility he wasn't used in his best role not because the staff couldn't realize what that role should be or chose to play him out of position but that happening was a result of playing on a very deep, very talented DL that had guys that were giving high level play at the position ST should have been playing. There is the possibility they knew what his best assets were but they weren't going to take the chance of giving him more opportunities there at the expense of a guy like Buckner who has already proven he can play that role at an elite level. So in the hopes of keeping the elite guy in the spot he dominates at they put the guy maybe best suited there too on the edge in hopes that he can still contribute there even if it's not his best spot. 

Now I think that stuff could and probably did play some factor, but I wouldn't put the majority of the blame out that. If Thomas is going to be a surprise for us the staff will need to identify what exactly he does best and his hest fit in our scheme and Thomas will have to show skills he hasn't shown hardly at all in the NFL level. Both of those things currently seem like a long shot. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Where’s this Andre dominating people at practice coming from? 

IIRC Cable or someone else on the staff said he has looked good at practice. I mean why else sign him to a nice extension when he has 1 NFL start?

17 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He clearly has the talent as a former top 3 pick, so what else can it be?  He has the talent to be a pro bowler but lacks heart and drive.  Hopefully he is inspired with a fresh start and steps up his game.  We need him to play well but I'm not holding my breath. 

17 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

There was that whole depression thing after his sister passed away so there’s that

IIRC he dealt with injuries throughout his time in San Francisco in addition to dealing with his sisters suicide. It also didn't help that he was playing DE, when his natural position is DT, and kind of got lost in the mix of a very good defensive line. 

I don't think Thomas will be an impact player but if he's healthy and motivated maybe he can be a good rotational DT for us. He's certainly an athletic freak, at the combine: 4.69s forty (90th percentile), 35" vertical (85th percentile), 126" broad (96th percentile), 6.95s 3-cone (93rd percentile), 4.28s 20-yard shuttle (88th percentile), 30 bench reps (80th percentile). 

One criticism I've heard about Thomas even dating back to his days at Stanford is that he has really small hands for a defensive lineman and that's why he has trouble finishing sacks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

IIRC Cable or someone else on the staff said he has looked good at practice. I mean why else sign him to a nice extension when he has 1 NFL start?

You forget who we are lol we release 3rd rounders, give guys like Collins deals and make him captain...

26 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I think they panicked and try to seem like geniuses but that’s the best explanation they could come up with on a short notice 

It's cause he was blowing up Vickers, Hall, and Hurst at practice all week.

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Cmon man language

Went to edit and saw you already did. LOL 

Was looking to get a ban or at least a warning...

Props to you and OK... I'm in Vegas a few deep and shouldn't be posting so my bad. I'll check myself now.  😃

• Like 1