Realistic discussion on McCarthy: Should He stay or should he go?

MacReady

If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Mike McCarthy be fired at the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

Pros:

8 Consecutive playoff appearances. 
1 Super Bowl win.
3 Championship game appearances.

Cons:

Seahawks Championship game meltdown (one good call/decision from him might have changed it).
Stubbornness. 
He may be getting ahead in this league by having Aaron Rodgers. 
He has won two meaningful games without Aaron Rodgers.  0-3 when Rodgers left game or didn't play game in Super Bowl year.  5-2-1 in 2013. 
Cardinals, 49ers, Giants, Falcons playoff games in which our defense never stood a chance.

I'm not sold on the idea of firing him.  I was livid with him after today because he definitely screwed us with his playcalling today, but I'm still not sold on getting rid of him, but I don't think it's absurd to talk about it.  He's had some very bad lapses, and he doesn't seem very open to changing things or adapting.  Would love to hear some counter opinions on him mostly just to help me have faith in him again. 

Is this instead of trading Rodgers or on top off? ;)

Seriously now, I'm on the fence about this. I do think there's a certain feeling of staleness after so many years and he does make some boneheaded decisions, though I suspect that is a common element to most coaches, if not all. The thought of new blood in the building is appealing but this is very easily a situation in which we could end up downgrading and wishing we had him back. The only way I contemplate doing this is if he doesn't get anything out of Hundley this season and we get someone with a pretty decent track record, preferably someone that will be creative on offense and make Aaron better. I'm thinking Sean Payton or Andy Reid here, though I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to NFL coaches, I guess I just went for famous ones.

Just now, Packer_ESP said:

Is this instead of trading Rodgers or on top off? ;)

Just now, Packer_ESP said:

Seriously now, I'm on the fence about this. I do think there's a certain feeling of staleness after so many years and he does make some boneheaded decisions, though I suspect that is a common element to most coaches, if not all.

If we fired McCarthy, there's no way in hell I'd want to trade Rodgers.  You can win with the wrong QB, you can win with the wrong coach, but ain't no damn way in hell you're winning with the wrong QB and wrong coach. 

And I'd love to see some people provide evidence to suggest McCarthy isn't the only coach who repeats the same mistakes over and over and over and over and over again.

if they ever decide to move on, I’d rather they get a defensive coordinator for HC. That’s the most probable way to get an elite DC in the building, since most current DC’s probably aren’t interested in lateral moves. Arod is a Hof’er and should be able to make do on offense without prioritizing getting a great OC type HC. 

Think Belicheck-Brady, Dungy-Manning, Quinn-Ryan. The key is to have an outstanding DC, even if he wears the HC hat.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

For those who are in favor of firing Mike McCarthy, are you willing to risk that Aaron Rodgers and the offense will take a step back?  If the answer isn't yes, then you probably need to reconsider your stance.

To be honest, I'm way past the point where I worry about the performance of Aaron Rodgers with a coach change. The thing that keeps me from getting 100% on board with a coaching staff renovation is past success, not current performance. There's no doubt in my mind that the offense will perform at a similar or better level with a new coach. We have a good OL (great when healthy), a good young RB, a HOF QB, good receiving corps (at least the top 3) and good TEs. Why wouldn't it work?

How come nobody was starting threads to can McCarthy until Rodgers got hurt?  Would New Orleans' offense look like it does without Brees?  If we are gonna make any changes in this coaching staff we should look at the other side of the ball.

5 minutes ago, Pugger said:

How come nobody was starting threads to can McCarthy until Rodgers got hurt?  Would New Orleans' offense look like it does without Brees?  If we are gonna make any changes in this coaching staff we should look at the other side of the ball.

I think most of us expected a loss today, but it's not the loss that hurts, it's the way it happened. The offense looked completely unprepared and frankly, after today I'm not so confident that the bye will get Hundley on track.

Also, there were no specific threads before this week but the criticism about the offense has been there for a while. Rodgers masks MM's deficiencies is not a new narrative, and it's also common outside the team's forum.

It will take more than 1 bad game without Rodgers to offset 8 years of playoffs for me. If he continues to stink like he did today, I start looking. If I find someone I like better than him going forward I fire him.

The last part surely isn't a given, however. Would take another special, rising talent. That is a small field.

Archived