Realistic discussion on McCarthy: Should He stay or should he go?

MacReady

If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Mike McCarthy be fired at the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It will take more than 1 bad game without Rodgers to offset 8 years of playoffs for me. If he continues to stink like he did today, I start looking. If I find someone I like better than him going forward I fire him.

The last part surely isn't a given, however. Would take another special, rising talent. That is a small field.

Would another coach fair much better with the team we have now? I don't think it would be much better. Players have to play better, not just playcalling.

2 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Would another coach fair much better with the team we have now? I don't think it would be much better. Players have to play better, not just playcalling.

short-term? maybe. Long-term? no, probably not. MM is a really good coach. There aren't many in the world better.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

short-term? maybe. Long-term? no, probably not. MM is a really good coach. There aren't many in the world better.

I believe he's a great leader. I wonder if a new OC/DC with new ideas like someone said earlier would work. I have a hard time seeing him let go of the offense though... he already tried once and it wasn't pretty.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

What is the basis for saying he is a good coach?   Is it the winning record?  Is it playoffs reached?

Having Farve and now Rodgers should be taken into context with the record, and playoff achievements.  Good coaches do well without HoF QB's, do well with less talent than the other team.  

MM teams have won a lot of football games while he has been the HC.  Not sure if there are many because of him.  

20 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

I think most of us expected a loss today, but it's not the loss that hurts, it's the way it happened. The offense looked completely unprepared and frankly, after today I'm not so confident that the bye will get Hundley on track.

Also, there were no specific threads before this week but the criticism about the offense has been there for a while. Rodgers masks MM's deficiencies is not a new narrative, and it's also common outside the team's forum.

It was only Hundley's first game starting.  If he still looks like this after a couple more games then we have consider if a change is needed.  I think Brett will be better the more he plays and the more McCoach trusts him to run the offense.  

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

What is the basis for saying he is a good coach?   Is it the winning record?  Is it playoffs reached?

Having Farve and now Rodgers should be taken into context with the record, and playoff achievements.  Good coaches do well without HoF QB's, do well with less talent than the other team.  

MM teams have won a lot of football games while he has been the HC.  Not sure if there are many because of him.  

But do these coaches without HOF QBs win with below average or green QBs and a porous defense?

13 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Yes. He being the 2nd best (by winning %) active coach and 16th all time really says it all. He is also the 4th winningest since 1995 (when league expanded to 30 teams). Only Belichick, Harbaugh and Dungy have been better in that time frame. And Harbaugh was only for 4 seasons.

It's such a gamble to fire McCarthy because it's possible we'd hire someone way worse.  If there is some young hotshot out there then maybe you think about it a little harder.  I think I'd opt to keep him as HC, and hire someone like Vic Fangio to replace Capers.  It's time to move on from Capers.  Fangio is in his final year of his contract in Chicago.

18 minutes ago, squire12 said:

There is not many good coaches out there that do well without a good QB. Lets be real. 

1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

He deserves every shot he will get just based on those pros. If they give Dom more chances, I don't see why they won't give McCarthy even more chances. McCarthy has to stack bad years consecutively to make me sold on firing him. 

What is a "bad year"? Bc with Rodgers at QB you get 9-10 guaranteed wins. That alone has protected MM for this long.

36 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

This works the other way too. Would another coach fair any worse with 10 years of Rodgers at QB? 

Personally I think we'd have a street named after Hue Jackson right now if he was hired in 2006 instead of MM. 

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yes. He being the 2nd best (by winning %) active coach and 16th all time really says it all. He is also the 4th winningest since 1995 (when league expanded to 30 teams). Only Belichick, Harbaugh and Dungy have been better in that time frame. And Harbaugh was only for 4 seasons.

What is MM record when the team is QB by someone not named Farve or Rodgers?

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This works the other way too. Would another coach fair any worse with 10 years of Rodgers at QB? 

Personally I think we'd have a street named after Hue Jackson right now if he was hired in 2006 instead of MM. 

I think the Saints w/ Brees proves that a Hof QB does not guarantee a team the amount of wins MM has

Archived