Realistic discussion on McCarthy: Should He stay or should he go?

MacReady

If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Mike McCarthy be fired at the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

I think the performances vs PIT and TB has to have staved off any consideration (I tend to doubt there ever was any) within the FO of firing MM.  I was very down on MM after the BAL game, but the team has looked much better since then.  I don't expect GB to look like a playoff team with Hundley at QB, but I do expect them to compete.  As long as GB continues to look competitive with Hundley at QB, I don't know how much more could be expected.

• My honest hope is that Coach McCarthy keeps his job, I think he has a good track record. His loyalty is his fault, he needs to cut ties with his coordinators and ST coach. I'm mixed on Ted as well. I do hope he retires before both Eliot Wolf,  or Brian Gutekunst are gone. I still think our drafts have gone slowly down since John Dorsey left our organization. 

On 12/10/2017 at 9:25 AM, Mazrimiv said:

I think the performances vs PIT and TB has to have staved off any consideration (I tend to doubt there ever was any) within the FO of firing MM.  I was very down on MM after the BAL game, but the team has looked much better since then.  I don't expect GB to look like a playoff team with Hundley at QB, but I do expect them to compete.  As long as GB continues to look competitive with Hundley at QB, I don't know how much more could be expected.

I doubt there has ever been a single thought in that building of letting McCarthy go .. and there probably shouldn't be.  He's been very successful ... just think fans like myself get a little frustrated from time to time that we can't seem to get back to the super bowl.  In the grand scheme he's highly competent as a head coach.  I think McCarthy has really coached well the past few weeks.  He's snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with some strong playcalling late in games.  

We have had a top 10 offense how many times ??

Let's see how good a coach MM can be with a top 10 defense too. Yea, 4 years too late but for the love of God tell Capers to go pound sand.

After that task is finally done, we can find out if there are also personnel problems on that side of the ball as well. Is HHCD man or mouse ? Is Daniels so good that he's invisble ? Is it really impossible to defend the middle of the field ? Are screen passes the kryptonite of every defense ? Is it possible to play a game without giving up season highs or personal bests to the opposition every single week ? Can we force more punts than touchdowns ? Is giving up 8 minute touchdown drives to start the game commonplace ? I want to find out the answers to these questions. I mean how can it get any worse by trying to find someone better ? If a guy named JimBob b***ch slaps you, it's time to make a change.

While the drafts have tailed off - I find it hard to believe TT can draft offense but can't draft defense. 

It's not really rocket science

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Let's see how good a coach MM can be with a top 10 defense too. Yea, 4 years too late but for the love of God tell Capers to go pound sand.

After that task is finally done, we can find out if there are also personnel problems on that side of the ball as well. Is HHCD man or mouse ? Is Daniels so good that he's invisble ? Is it really impossible to defend the middle of the field ? Are screen passes the kryptonite of every defense ? Is it possible to play a game without giving up season highs or personal bests to the opposition every single week ? Can we force more punts than touchdowns ? Is giving up 8 minute touchdown drives to start the game commonplace ? I want to find out the answers to these questions. I mean how can it get any worse by trying to find someone better ? If a guy named JimBob b***ch slaps you, it's time to make a change.

While the drafts have tailed off - I find it hard to believe TT can draft offense but can't draft defense. 

I do too, that's whats so maddening about people clamoring for TT's head.  I put most of the blame on Capers.  His assistants might be okay but they have to follow his lead, so to speak.  What is the definition of insanity...?   :/

5 hours ago, cannondale said:

I don't see why you need to fire Capers to figure that out. 

It's pretty apparent that there is a huge deficiency in talent at arguably the two most important positions on the defense

The more I think about it, the more Mike McCarthy seems like his early mentor, Marty Schottenheimer. McCarthy has many good qualities. He keeps the team together, fights through adversity, he's very loyal, and he coached a Super Bowl win. But that Super Bowl is getting to be a long time ago. Since then, like Schottenheimer, he always seems to be the bridesmaid and never the bride. He's always one bad play, one bad break, one bad decision away from going back. And his loyalty to Capers is killing his team. So many missed tackles, so many blown assignments. After investing  a lot of draft capital into defense, there is very little to show for it. And now the skill players on offense are aging. Jordy has lost his speed and quickness. Cobb never had much speed, and Adams is going into free agency. I'm torn about McCarthy. Ideas?

A lot of those problems you described fall more on Thompson's shoulders, ,who, lets be honest, hasn't exactly been as good the past 5 yrs as he was in his first 5-6. His total body of work speaks for itself but his drafts lately just haven't yielded the kind of results needed for a team that relies so heavily on draft/develop.

3 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

A lot of those problems you described fall more on Thompson's shoulders, ,who, lets be honest, hasn't exactly been as good the past 5 yrs as he was in his first 5-6. His total body of work speaks for itself but his drafts lately just haven't yielded the kind of results needed for a team that relies so heavily on draft/develop.

Agreed. TT's drafting of defensive players has been awful. But DC hasn't done much with what he has. And problems persist. Bad tackling, blown assignments. Can't get off the field on third and long. Both things could be true.

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Agreed. TT's drafting of defensive players has been awful. But DC hasn't done much with what he has. And problems persist. Bad tackling, blown assignments. Can't get off the field on third and long. Both things could be true.

There's more evidence to suggest Thompson's defensive drafting has been stellar than there is evidence to suggest it's been bad.

Hyde and Hayward. 

Pro bowl seasons from Randall, Clinton-Dix, Martinez, Matthews, Raji, Daniels, Clark and on and on and on and on.

Which is it, Thompson or Capers?  If Thompson has been crap at drafting defensive players, we can't blame Capers.  So pick one because you can't have both. 

I wouldn't be upset if McCarthy was gone but I'm not hoping for it or anything.  I do feel like he owns the defense this year.  There was a lot of pressure to do something with Capers last offseason and he proclaimed Dom "a hell of a football coach" and explained his plan was to spend the offseason "focused on the pass game defensively".   He does a heck of a job keeping the team strong through adversity, he never loses the team no matter what.  I think he'd benefit from bringing someone in to run the offense so he can actually be the head coach.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

The only shot we have at improving on that side of the ball is to get a new defensive coordinator ... Thompson is not going anywhere unless he decides to hang it up.  The only way we see a major uptick on that side of the ball is if Ted knocks it out of the park and adds a couple rookie of the candidates at OLB/Elephant.  Fat chance of that .. we'd be better off sending Capers into retirement and getting a new DC that can light a fire under the players.

Archived