Realistic discussion on McCarthy: Should He stay or should he go?

MacReady

If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Mike McCarthy be fired at the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

We will see more action from our RBs these last 2 games now that Hundley is back starting.  I suspect McCoach calls more passing plays than running when Rodgers is in there because he wants the ball in the hands of his best player and I don't blame him.

Well he low key threw us out of the game (Rodgers is more to blame here though). Props to him for gutting it out though - just wish he was more cognizant of his limitations that day.

I'm okay with McCarthy going forward because I think he's a multiple Super Bowl winning coach if not for his loyalty to Capers and certain other coaches who had to be partly blamed for The Great Sorrow.  However, I'd love to see Aaron with another coach at some point in his career.  Don't think McCarthy knows how to, is willing to or is capable of changing some of Aaron's bad habits.  If Aaron would gain the petty 3-6 yards by throwing to running backs with regularity early and throughout games, his numbers would be even more unnatural.  Literally every QB in the league does this.  We literally have the most capable receiving running back in the league based on his entire year and change of playing National Football League receiver.  Yet we continue to be at the bottom half of the league in running back receptions. 

Jamaal Williams in 4 starts with Hundley had 17 receptions.  He didn't have a single catch against Carolina.  Neither did Aaron Jones.  Gosh, Aaron, you think with an 80% collarbone it might behoove you to throw dumpoff passes to running backs?  Can't say you forgot you can do that when Newton did it all day. 

Last year I was crazy for pointing this out.  Only I think two people acknowledged that I was right and that Rodgers is allergic to it.  Can anybody deny that it's a thing after this year, especially after the last game? 

You've got Tom Brady playing like an MVP at 40 years old because he's sitting in the pocket and throwing it in 2 seconds to anybody who is open and he gets hit like three times a game, and then you've got Aaron scrambling like there's one second left on the clock at the opponent's 30 yard line in the Super Bowl when in reality it's just third down in the fourth quarter in the fifth week of the season and he holds on too long and gets his collarbone broken, effectively ending our season. 

Literally everybody pointed to how many players were open on Favre's last interception as a Packer.  Aaron does the same thing.  Quit being a girly man obsessed with your passer rating and your passer rating will get better because defenders will actually have to try to cover those dumpoff passes. 

Shame on McCarthy for not manning up and demanding Rodgers does this throughout the season. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm okay with McCarthy going forward because I think he's a multiple Super Bowl winning coach if not for his loyalty to Capers and certain other coaches who had to be partly blamed for The Great Sorrow.  However, I'd love to see Aaron with another coach at some point in his career.  Don't think McCarthy knows how to, is willing to or is capable of changing some of Aaron's bad habits.  If Aaron would gain the petty 3-6 yards by throwing to running backs with regularity early and throughout games, his numbers would be even more unnatural.  Literally every QB in the league does this.  We literally have the most capable receiving running back in the league based on his entire year and change of playing National Football League receiver.  Yet we continue to be at the bottom half of the league in running back receptions. 

Jamaal Williams in 4 starts with Hundley had 17 receptions.  He didn't have a single catch against Carolina.  Neither did Aaron Jones.  Gosh, Aaron, you think with an 80% collarbone it might behoove you to throw dumpoff passes to running backs?  Can't say you forgot you can do that when Newton did it all day. 

Last year I was crazy for pointing this out.  Only I think two people acknowledged that I was right and that Rodgers is allergic to it.  Can anybody deny that it's a thing after this year, especially after the last game? 

You've got Tom Brady playing like an MVP at 40 years old because he's sitting in the pocket and throwing it in 2 seconds to anybody who is open and he gets hit like three times a game, and then you've got Aaron scrambling like there's one second left on the clock at the opponent's 30 yard line in the Super Bowl when in reality it's just third down in the fourth quarter in the fifth week of the season and he holds on too long and gets his collarbone broken, effectively ending our season. 

Literally everybody pointed to how many players were open on Favre's last interception as a Packer.  Aaron does the same thing.  Quit being a girly man obsessed with your passer rating and your passer rating will get better because defenders will actually have to try to cover those dumpoff passes. 

Shame on McCarthy for not manning up and demanding Rodgers does this throughout the season. 

Those picks Rodgers threw against the Panthers were mostly because of rust.  Favre threw INTs when he was completely healthy and was prone to throwing picks throughout his career.  Rodgers is one of the best ever at avoiding interceptions.  Before he got hurt AR was also playing like an MVP.   Brady stands in the pocket because he is practically a statue.  Rodgers mobility is one of his strengths and what makes him even more dangerous and difficult to defend.  He may have to adjust this as he gets older.  Rodgers is not allergic to throwing to his backs.  He did it regularly with Ty.

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Again, you only demand he do it, if you think it's hurting the offense. Also, watching the film, I would say we had a back in there for extra protection well over half the time we threw.

Aaron extends plays, and good things happen. Sure there may be a 3rd down he misses trying to get a bigger play, but later in the game he might get a 40 yard gain instead of 5. I would imagine it averages out.

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Aaron extends plays, and good things happen. Sure there may be a 3rd down he misses trying to get a bigger play, but later in the game he might get a 40 yard gain instead of 5. I would imagine it averages out.

Counter to this is that the less often he does it, the more effective it can be.  Possibly.  Keep that ability until you need it, not until doing that and failing four times early puts you in desperation mode. 

We take ourselves out of games too often for Aaron's ability. 

McCarthy is approaching the final year of his current deal in GB.  Coaches rarely coach a lame duck season, so it figures he will probably get an extension of sorts.  So, what do we give him .. one year, or a multi year deal?  Maybe try to line his deal up with Thompson's?  Any chance at all they decide to part ways .. there's going to be a ton of jobs available, and McCarthy would figure to be one of the best candidates out there.  If he was looking to move on this would be a good year for him as he'd probably have his pick of several different gigs.

Archived