Realistic discussion on McCarthy: Should He stay or should he go?

MacReady

If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Mike McCarthy be fired at the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

26 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

From a purely talent standpoint, does our defense match up well with the rest of the league?  I don't really know how to judge this since football is so reliant on coaching. But where would you guys say our top healthy defensive line-up would rank if all teams were coached equally?

Trying to be objective here....

Kenny Clark sees the field on running downs for every team in the league.  He sees almost no snaps on passing downs.

Daniels would start on the DL for most every team in the league and he'd be very good run and pass.

Not sure that any of the reserves would be more than role players.  Francois, Dial, Lowry.

Matthews would be a situational pass rusher not an every down starter.

Perry would start and be effective on most every team.  run and pass.

Fackrell wouldn't make anyone else's roster.

Brooks would be a situational rusher.

Ryan would be used similarly, run MLB.

Martinez would be what he is now....true MLB run and pass.

Joe Thomas would be on special teams.

House would be a low end #2, higher end #3 corner.

Randall would be a mid level #3 corner, or off the team due to attitude.  

King would be what he is now.  A rookie that is learning with #1 cb potential.

HHCD starts and is a centerpiece addition to most every secondary.  Seattle excluded. And for some reason he isn't getting it done this year.  

Burnett starts for half the league and is what he is.

Josh Jones would be what he is now...a rookie who is learning with great potential.

A lot of these guys can play, and have played.  They just aren't now.  Get them a new DC and see what happens.  Cuz Dom doesn't get a DC job outside of GB anymore.  That's the one that doesn't have much value to the rest of the league in my eyes.

11 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I don't understand why they think it can't be both. I thought most people agreed they both have issues. I suppose it comes to wanting a firing? So they need to pick one, idk.

I will say that this issue with getting 10 guys on the field more than once now is inexcusable. Whosever fault that is.

Losing our QB in defense hurts a lot too. 

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Trying to be objective here....

Kenny Clark sees the field on running downs for every team in the league.  He sees almost no snaps on passing downs.

Daniels would start on the DL for most every team in the league and he'd be very good run and pass.

Not sure that any of the reserves would be more than role players.  Francois, Dial, Lowry.

Matthews would be a situational pass rusher not an every down starter.

Perry would start and be effective on most every team.  run and pass.

Fackrell wouldn't make anyone else's roster.

Brooks would be a situational rusher.

Ryan would be used similarly, run MLB.

Martinez would be what he is now....true MLB run and pass.

Joe Thomas would be on special teams.

House would be a low end #2, higher end #3 corner.

Randall would be a mid level #3 corner, or off the team due to attitude.  

King would be what he is now.  A rookie that is learning with #1 cb potential.

HHCD starts and is a centerpiece addition to most every secondary.  Seattle excluded. And for some reason he isn't getting it done this year.  

Burnett starts for half the league and is what he is.

Josh Jones would be what he is now...a rookie who is learning with great potential.

A lot of these guys can play, and have played.  They just aren't now.  Get them a new DC and see what happens.  Cuz Dom doesn't get a DC job outside of GB anymore.  That's the one that doesn't have much value to the rest of the league in my eyes.

I don't really have an issue other than this one. There can't be many teams he doesn't start/see considerable time for.

23 minutes ago, Slinky said:

It's on Dom. He should be fired.

His scheme has been known to be too damn complicated. Guys (especially younger guys) spend more time thinking than reacting.

We allow WRs to just run free. How often do you see us jamming...playing bump & run? 3rd and short, and our DB are playing 10 yards off the line. It's maddening. 

I'd certainly fire Dom before Ted. I would have already.

3 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I'd certainly fire Dom before Ted. I would have already.

I'm with ya there.

I've been a Ted guy since he's been here. But I'm to the point where I'd be ok with him going if it meant Mac and Dom go too. Obviously you and I have different opinions on Mac, tho.

6 minutes ago, Slinky said:

I'm with ya there.

I've been a Ted guy since he's been here. But I'm to the point where I'd be ok with him going if it meant Mac and Dom go too. Obviously you and I have different opinions on Mac, tho.

If we keep showing up like this, Mike can take a walk with Dom. I'm wllling to allow my opinions to be more fluid than people give me credit for. I don't give a rip if I end up looking wrong in the past, etc.

Something else to consider...how good would SEA be if they lost Thomas and sherman to career ending injuries? Would it be expected that their FO replace them without skipping a beat?

I know Collins and Shields aren't to their level, but that's two All Pro caliber players lost in their Prime's during this era as well. You don't just magically overcome that.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Something else to consider...how good would SEA be if they lost Thomas and sherman to career ending injuries? Would it be expected that their FO replace them without skipping a beat?

I know Collins and Shields aren't to their level, but that's two All Pro caliber players lost in their Prime's during this era as well. You don't just magically overcome that.

Which is why TT has actually done a great job.  Also losing Finley, Murphy, and Franklin on offense.

That said, it's pretty obvious on gameday the Packers are out coached these days.  Other teams are doing more with less.  Look at Fangio in Chicago.  The Packers definitely missed an opportunity to fire Capers when Fangio was available.  

41 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Stop using season totals.  Look at the defenses at the end of the year, when all the kinks are worked out and a defense has what they have. 

Indisputable fact - Dom's defense at the end of the year in the playoffs has been BAD in every year except for four (2010, 2013, 2014, 2015).  I don't give a damn crap what our defense has ranked in DVOA or anything.  I care what it is at the end of the season. 

7 - 2 - 19 - 11 - 24 - 13 - 12 - 21- 20

Agreed. Take a closer look at our best years under Capers:

2009 - Ranked 7th in PPG - Walks into Arizona and allows 500 yards of total offense with 51 points scored against. Kurt Warner finishes with a historic 154 QB Rating. 

2010 - Ranked 2nd in PPG - Does its part in all 4 games including carrying the team through Chicago. Wins superbowl. 

2011 - Ranked 19th in PPG - NYG score 37 points and allow over 400 yards of total offense to Eli Manning who finished with 114 QB Rating. 

2012 - Ranked 11th in PPG - Beat the Joe Webb QB Vikings soundly in the wildcard. Give up an historic day to Kap allowing him to rush for almost 200 yards and another 250 through the air. We lose 45 to 31. 

2014 - Ranked 13th in PPG - Beat Dallas in a strong overall showing 26 - 21. Only year where I feel like theirs plenty of blame to go around. They get turnovers that the Packers don't capitalize on. I believe the defense did there part almost the whole game. They had the most unclutch half a quarter of football that I have ever seen however. They did enough to win though. Offense let them down. 

2015 - Ranked 12th in PPG - Great showing in Washington only allowing 18 points. Good showing against Arizona allowing 26 points but once again had one of the most unclutch last quarter/OT. Allows 10 points in the 4th with an easy touchdown in OT. 

I'm not really going over the "Bad years" with this defense but we all know what happened in San Fran & Atlanta. These I think are the years where we probably believed that the defense was average to above average. 

44 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

No, but I am sure they would have tried harder to replace them than MD Jennings

17 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

have people who complain about TT's drafting ever looked at other teams classes? 

I hate over-reaction sunday/mondays. Last week it was should we trade Rodgers, this week it's should we fire McCarthy.... 9_9

No. And if you point it out then you get yeah but they do way more free agency stuff.

Just now, BlondeonBlonde said:

I hate over-reaction sunday/mondays. Last week it was should we trade Rodgers, this week it's should we fire McCarthy.... 9_9

Get over yourself.  I'm sick of this crap and I put a disclaimer in the Goddamn thread.  I don't want to trade Rodgers, nobody wants to trade Rodgers, it's a Goddamn discussion on... GUESS WHAT... A Goddamn discussion website. 

Archived