Julio Jones on the Falcons: "I'm outta there, man"

Turnobili

36 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

It’s more appropriate for the News board

Not really, no. But thanks for the suggestion.

If you have a question on site moderation, please PM a Mod.

Tks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If this is true. I won't rule out that there isn't a chance he isn't traded before September, but the chances of them getting a 1st in return is highly unlikely without alot of incentives involved. The alleged "1st rd pick" asking price is just a starting point in negotiations and is not what they expect to get. They're living off of his name and trying to get the most out of it now while it's still relevant, and I see nothing with that. Cash out while the pots deep.

That said, Julio, even at his age, is still better than most WRs and would still draw alot of interest. But not without restructuring his contract that consists of cap hits of; 23+, 19+ and 19+ at the ages of 33, 34, and 35 IMO.  The franchise tag alone was 19M this year and with rookie contracts you can find better cost-efficient options-- albeit not likely one who plays as well as Julio in 2021 but better in the long run.

Not to mention the WR pool is flooded right now which would limit his options on which teams who would be willing to trade fo him.

I imagine GMs would be asking themselves; is a very good (but likely 2 year stop-gap) WR worth the contract AND taking snaps away from future potential worth it?

Make no mistake, Julio is still a good WR, but his contract and lack of upside vs the field at this point would only make sense for a team who feel they are only a good WR away from being a true contender in 2021.  Unless each party agreed to a restructured contract.

You have his cap hits wrong. If he's traded, the team trading for him absorbs cap hits of:

$15,300,000 at age 32 (guaranteed)

$11,513,000 at age 33 (only $2M guaranteed)

$11,513,000 at age 34 (nothing guaranteed)

And could cut him at any time without having any real cap penalty after the 2021 season if he falls off a cliff. Sooo...

I wonder if San Fran would pull the trigger on something like Deebo + pick for Julio. Win/win for all parties involved imo if Julio is adamant on not coming back. 

Edited by JJ6

13 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Honestly i don't want a 1st round pick for him i would much rather get a 2nd or 3rd round pick + a really good younger productive defender at either Edge or CB.

I dont see a 1st rd pick happening, based on the timing of this issue after the draft. His age, his contract, and his injury history, the 2nd rd pick is likely best case scenario for Falcons. If teams were flocking for his services the move would have been done by now and there would be an agreement already out there. It may have to be one of those things where you hope to move him if a team loses one of their top WR to injury in mini camps or TC. 

On 5/24/2021 at 11:43 AM, D82 said:

S'ok Julio, we don't need ya. 

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by the Cowboys this year.  This is Mike McCarthy's second year with the team, but the first non-Covid year, and above all, Dak Prescott will be healthy.  They should have a good season in 2021.

33 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by the Cowboys this year.  This is Mike McCarthy's second year with the team, but the first non-Covid year, and above all, Dak Prescott will be healthy.  They should have a good season in 2021.

Honestly, if we can get the defense to be at least average, we should be good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

You have his cap hits wrong. If he's traded, the team trading for him absorbs cap hits of:

And could cut him at any time without having any real cap penalty after the 2021 season if he falls off a cliff. Sooo...

That certainly makes him more appealing.

Still not worth a first, but more appealing.  I wouldn't hate a second if my team had the space.

3 hours ago, scar988 said:

As is usual though, I assume a trade would come with some sort of extension or restructure. 

If I'm the Packers, I'm trading them JORDAN LOVE for Julio Jones. The Falcons get their QBOTF, the Packers appease Rodgers twice over with Julio opposite Adams and get rid of the Love and Rodgers headache.

Go all in Green Bay.

Just now, MWil23 said:

If I'm the Packers, I'm trading them JORDAN LOVE for Julio Jones. The Falcons get their QBOTF, the Packers appease Rodgers twice over with Julio opposite Adams and get rid of the Love and Rodgers headache.

Go all in Green Bay.

If I'm the Falcons I'd trade Julio to the Bears or Vikings for a bag of peanuts just to get back at being insulted that gravely.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, scar988 said:

that's the part that I think is being overlooked

the salary isn't the issue - its the fear of being handcuffed by a contract that you are not getting value from. And that's off the table in this scenario

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Dak can throw for 6,000 yards but they will only go 9-8

Cowboys is the Cowboys

1 hour ago, Tk3 said:

that's the part that I think is being overlooked

the salary isn't the issue - its the fear of being handcuffed by a contract that you are not getting value from. And that's off the table in this scenario

Bingo. Basically, your stuck for a year with one of hte best wide receivers in NFL history at the end of his prime. I mean, it's worth $15M to me.

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

The Julio to Dallas rumors were moronic.  We dont have the cap space and WR is the deepest position on the team, so let's go get an expensive 32 year old.  Lol