Julio Jones on the Falcons: "I'm outta there, man"

Turnobili

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Atlanta can’t afford to. 

Trading Ryan before the draft would leave them with $65M on the books. Post June 1st, $25M this year and $40M next year. They’d have to get astronomical value in order to eat those hits (which I don’t even think they could, if they wanted and were motivated to). That, or agree to have the team eat a bunch of money, which would lower the picks Atlanta would get in return. 

Yes. I understand that, but why move Julio? Just stick with it fir the next couple years

2 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Yes. I understand that, but why move Julio? Just stick with it fir the next couple years

I believe he requested a trade, no? I know Atlanta doesn’t have to capitulate to that, but that and his salary (and inevitable decline) makes him a movable commodity. Probably want to get out of cap hell.

I’d keep Julio, fwiw. I’m on board with the “year too early rather than a year too late” mantra, but I think Julio offers a bit more than the Day 2 pick I think they’ll get back.

14 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I believe he requested a trade, no? I know Atlanta doesn’t have to capitulate to that, but that and his salary (and inevitable decline) makes him a movable commodity. Probably want to get out of cap hell.

I’d keep Julio, fwiw. I’m on board with the “year too early rather than a year too late” mantra, but I think Julio offers a bit more than the Day 2 pick I think they’ll get back.

He did request a trade. He has given this city 10 years, and he wants a shot somewhere that is closer to a championship. He's likely retiring at the end of his current contract and would like a ring before he goes.

13 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I dont understand staying with Matt Ryan, then trading Julio Jones.  If you're gonna blow it up, you should have taken a qb or traded down instead of taking Pitts, and amassed picks to rebuild. 

The cap, really. They would have had to wait until June 1 to trade Ryan, and by then, they would have had contracts shed from the roster for being over the cap. Ryan restructured. However, Ryan doesn't need Julio to succeed when they give him a Kyle Pitts and have a Calvin Ridley. Though, I agree they should try and keep Julio.

52 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Wish we had more cap space in New Orleans, he would be a nice #2 WR to have playing across from Michael Thomas. That said, I'm sure the Falcons wouldn't trade to a division rival even if we did have the cap space.

He'd be the No. 1 to Slant Boy. Don't kid yourself.

43 minutes ago, scar988 said:

He'd be the No. 1 to Slant Boy. Don't kid yourself.

Lol nope. Maybe in his younger years it would have been a legit conversation, but at this point...Nah. Michael Thomas the 2019 Offensive Player of the Year, who is still in his prime would undoubtedly be the #1 in that set up. 

Jon: I’ll show you how to get a good deal Mike, you gotta offer really really low at first and meet in the middle

Mike: Ok, you’re the real boss Jon

Jon: *calls Atlanta* Hey gentlemen, I’ll give you 3 1st Round Picks for Julio right now

Falcon GM: Well damn Jon you got yourself a deal

Jon to Mike: Wow they took the first offer, what a bunch of suckers! I would of gave 6 of those things!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scar988 said:

He did request a trade. He has given this city 10 years, and he wants a shot somewhere that is closer to a championship. He's likely retiring at the end of his current contract and would like a ring before he goes.

The cap, really. They would have had to wait until June 1 to trade Ryan, and by then, they would have had contracts shed from the roster for being over the cap. Ryan restructured. However, Ryan doesn't need Julio to succeed when they give him a Kyle Pitts and have a Calvin Ridley. Though, I agree they should try and keep Julio.

NFC is pretty weak.  Where's he gonna go that's better than Atlanta.   I mean they're not gonna trade him to GB or Seattle.  

Out of the box thought, but I think some version of a Julio for OBJ swap would benefit both teams.. It's the type of trade that I don't think has any real shot of happening, but I think it benefits both

Atlanta gets out of their Julio problem and immediately replaces him with a player who has proven to be a WR1 in the past, and has a real shot at getting back to that form with Matt Ryan and a legit WR across from him

OBJ has been underwhelming with Cleveland, partially due to injury, and partially due to (by my personal perception) a lack of good chemistry with Baker. Cleveland can get out from under that disappointment with a short term upgrade in Julio, and due to the nature of the contract, they wouldn't be beholden to Julio if he doesn't live up to his remaining contract after Baker's possible new contract kicks in

4 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Out of the box thought, but I think some version of a Julio for OBJ swap would benefit both teams.. It's the type of trade that I don't think has any real shot of happening, but I think it benefits both

Atlanta gets out of their Julio problem and immediately replaces him with a player who has proven to be a WR1 in the past, and has a real shot at getting back to that form with Matt Ryan and a legit WR across from him

OBJ has been underwhelming with Cleveland, partially due to injury, and partially due to (by my personal perception) a lack of good chemistry with Baker. Cleveland can get out from under that disappointment with a short term upgrade in Julio, and due to the nature of the contract, they wouldn't be beholden to Julio if he doesn't live up to his remaining contract after Baker's possible new contract kicks in

With the addition of Pitts I'm fairly sure Atlanta is fine without another WR. When healthy Ridley has shown he can be a upper echelon WR1, Gage has been underrated imo and I think he could be a very solid #2 option. Zaccheus seemed to be growing in his role as well so I'd be fine with him at #3 with the rest of the rookies.

So I'd rather see them trading a young, defensive piece that could add to the passrush. Someone like Takk McKinley... oh wait.. No wait, everybody but that guy. Yes, OBJ is fine. Thank you very much! Pleasure doing business. 

33 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Atlanta's financials are not great. Don't think that they are taking that kind of money back in any deal. One of the benefits to moving Julio is freeing up some cap space.