Julio Jones on the Falcons: "I'm outta there, man"

Turnobili

9 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

So this was 100% staged, right?  Shannon Sharpe is no dummy, and he knows he'd have no trust with anyone after this if it wasn't pre-planned.

I do think this is a real possibility, but with the producer's actions, plus Julio's tone shift, I don't think it as strong as I think I usually would. 

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

Paying pretty big bucks for a 32 yo injury prone WR. Plus giving up a pick or 2.  Plus he's going to a position group that we already have a lot allocated to.

Doesn't seem like the moneyball move at all.

Does seem like something that Steve Keim would do, though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

this is a horrible take quite frankly. I really have little desire to debate it, but who in your eyes would Jones be taking reps from thats potentially better? A 32 year old Jones is still a signifcantly, signifcantly better player than Mike Williams or any other WR they have not named Keenan Allen.

I don’t understand what’s so hard to understand. It’s hard to be excited for a receiver that’s on the wrong side of 30 and is injury prone to the point where even if he does play, his injuries limit the types of routes he can run. 

I rather the Chargers continue to let Herbert develop his chemistry with Tyron Johnson and Guyton from last year, and new pick Palmer. Guys who don’t have the name recognition but who can contribute more to this team than Julio for the aforementioned reasons. 

32 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I don’t understand what’s so hard to understand. It’s hard to be excited for a receiver that’s on the wrong side of 30 and is injury prone to the point where even if he does play, his injuries limit the types of routes he can run. 

I rather the Chargers continue to let Herbert develop his chemistry with Tyron Johnson and Guyton from last year, and new pick Palmer. Guys who don’t have the name recognition but who can contribute more to this team than Julio for the aforementioned reasons. 

No, everyone thoroughly understands your opinion

We just disagree with it. There is a difference between not understanding and disagreeing

You're treating Julio Jones like he's one of those receivers who hang around too long and puts up a few 300-400 yard seasons on the back half of his career - and that's just frankly not where he is right now, and won't be during his current contract

Edited by Tk3

I'm curious to see how good people think he will actually be, next year.

I was certain the consensus was that he was slipping down fast, now everyone is talking about him, like he's the prime time chosen one rolling back the years.....

What is it?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kramxel said:

I was certain the consensus was that he was slipping down fast, now everyone is talking about him, like he's the prime time chosen one rolling back the years.....

What is it?

Top 10 WR IF he stays healthy and goes to a team with a QB capable of 3700+ passing yards. He was on pace for around 1350 yards/5 td's had he played every game.
I'm curous to see if he has more redzone success with another team.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kramxel said:

What is it?

Maybe I was the one who was out of the loop, but I didn't see that at all

To me what you are describing is more like AJ Green

I think Julio is still solidly a comp to "early 30s" Fitzgerald

He obviously had his injuries in 2020, but still pacing around the 80-100 catch, 1,200+ yard benchmarks IMO

I understand that "staying healthy is a skill" and you can knock him for that. But his actual on field performance has shown no signs of deterioration

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kramxel said:

What is it?

Slipping down fast? He was dominant as ever last year when healthy.

His per game stats are kind of missing leading because he played a few games on one leg (Dallas for example) and he was still on pace for 1300 yards and 5 TDs. 

He's been pretty healthy since 2013 with last year being the only year missing significant time.

Julio could easily put up a league best season, just needs to stay healthy. 

Edited by JJ6
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JJ6 said:

Slipping down fast? He was dominant as ever last year when healthy.

His per game stats are kind of missing leading because he played a few games on one leg (Dallas for example) and he was still on pace for 1300 yards and 5 TDs. 

He's been pretty healthy since 2013 with last year being the only year missing significant time.

Julio could easily put up a league best season, just needs to stay healthy. 

i dont like the thinking that he was hurt so any downfall in production is allowed. What i do think is fair is to point out that JOnes literally played in less than a wuaerter in one game and slightly longer than the 1st quarter in another. Its not like he played 80% of the snaps, he tried to give it a go and it didnt work out. when looking at it in context, he was still the 100 yard/game (ish) guy hes been for years. Yes hes on the downside but as you said, you should still expect pretty miuch elite production at this stage, and very good production even at the end of his contract.

Hard to tell what Julio will go in a trade.

He's my personal favorite non-WFT WR in the League. 

And one of my favorite players, period. He should have retired a Falcon, imo. He's definitely a 1st time eligible HOFer as well.

Having said that...He's coming off an injury & 30+ now. I still think he can put up great numbers.

So what's he worth in a trade?

He should cost a team a 1st & probably will go for that.

I think when all is said & done?

He'll go for 2nd & a pro bowl player or young up & coming star.

Or perhaps a 2nd this year, plus other picks as well.

as much as i want our FO to show restraint... if the Chargers/Chiefs are going to become players in the Julio sweepstakes, might be worth for the Raiders to push for him just to block our rivals. especially if the Rodgers/Broncos stuff picks up steam

10 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

So this was 100% staged, right?  Shannon Sharpe is no dummy, and he knows he'd have no trust with anyone after this if it wasn't pre-planned.

I listened to it again and I think it was staged - Shannon quickly said "Thanks for calling me back," towards the end of the call - which leads me to believe Julio called in, they agreed to make this look like a surprise call.

I could be wrong, but it feels like it.