Julio Jones on the Falcons: "I'm outta there, man"

Turnobili

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I listened to it again and I think it was staged - Shannon quickly said "Thanks for calling me back," towards the end of the call - which leads me to believe Julio called in, they agreed to make this look like a surprise call.

I could be wrong, but it feels like it.

Of course it was, I don't get how's that even a discussion. You could smell the fake in Antarctica.

If this is true. I won't rule out that there isn't a chance he isn't traded before September, but the chances of them getting a 1st in return is highly unlikely without alot of incentives involved. The alleged "1st rd pick" asking price is just a starting point in negotiations and is not what they expect to get. They're living off of his name and trying to get the most out of it now while it's still relevant, and I see nothing with that. Cash out while the pots deep.

That said, Julio, even at his age, is still better than most WRs and would still draw alot of interest. But not without restructuring his contract that consists of cap hits of; 23+, 19+ and 19+ at the ages of 33, 34, and 35 IMO.  The franchise tag alone was 19M this year and with rookie contracts you can find better cost-efficient options-- albeit not likely one who plays as well as Julio in 2021 but better in the long run.

Not to mention the WR pool is flooded right now which would limit his options on which teams who would be willing to trade fo him.

I imagine GMs would be asking themselves; is a very good (but likely 2 year stop-gap) WR worth the contract AND taking snaps away from future potential worth it?

Make no mistake, Julio is still a good WR, but his contract and lack of upside vs the field at this point would only make sense for a team who feel they are only a good WR away from being a true contender in 2021.  Unless each party agreed to a restructured contract.

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Not gonna lie, I didn't get the reference either.  I guess I'm out of the loop.

At best it was a really poor attempt at a joke I guess. Otherwise, it was a poster who has been here for years bringing up politics. On a football forum.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ET80 said:

I listened to it again and I think it was staged - Shannon quickly said "Thanks for calling me back," towards the end of the call - which leads me to believe Julio called in, they agreed to make this look like a surprise call.

I could be wrong, but it feels like it.

This was 100% staged. The only reason we're even doubting it is because Julio Jones doesn't do media. Would anyone believe this is real if Aaron Rodgers and Pat McAfee did it? 

"Oh no I just doubled down publicly on the thing I really want. Whoops. So sorry guys I was completely joking (but not at all joking) also it's a coincidence that I'm blinking H E L P in morse code."

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

At best it was a really poor attempt at a joke I guess. Otherwise, it was a poster who has been here for years bringing up politics. On a football forum.

It was a one off joke that vaguely referenced politics til you lot got all mad about it and brought it back up.

It's comical to me to see this getting killed. Apparently the Shefter's/Mortensons of the world are really threatened, because they'll be out of a job once people and athletes realize that they can essentially leak things like this via call/tweet/whatever, or via podcast with one of their friends and/or former teammates, and there's nothing that they can do about it.

• Like 2