49ers C Weston Richburg retiring

How does this affect our cap? I imagine all of money owed to him this year, even though it was recently reworked I believe, is taken off the books? 

Edit : Just saw my question answered by Lombardi, clears a little over 1 mil since the restructure already dropped his number considerably. 

Edited by Fureys49ers

27 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

How does this affect our cap? I imagine all of money owed to him this year, even though it was recently reworked I believe, is taken off the books? 

He is going to cost us about 4.25m this season and also 4.25m in dead space in 2022. That is the accelerated signing bonus proration 

His cap hit was set to be 4.5m with 1.8m of that being his base salary, which we no longer pay. 

So this doesn't really change our cap all that much, other than if he retired on 5/31 or sooner, it would cost us 8.5m in dead space. That is why he is waiting until 6/1, so that we can spread the dead cap hit over two seasons 

Everyone who has been paying attention knew this was going to happen. Shouldn't surprise anyone 

Edited by N4L

22 minutes ago, N4L said:

He is going to cost us about 4.25m this season and also 4.25m in dead space in 2022. That is the accelerated signing bonus proration 

His cap hit was set to be 4.5m with 1.8m of that being his base salary, which we no longer pay. 

So this doesn't really change our cap all that much, other than if he retired on 5/31 or sooner, it would cost us 8.5m in dead space. That is why he is waiting until 6/1, so that we can spread the dead cap hit over two seasons 

Everyone who has been paying attention knew this was going to happen. Shouldn't surprise anyone 

Yea not a surprising move by any means, the injuries he’s suffered up this point at this stage of his career it was likely. I think the reworking of his contract was done in part to have him retire as well. Just wondering if there was any significant gain. I think through that reworked contract the niners don’t lose any money however if I’m not mistaken.

Edited by Fureys49ers