Who Rides?

Totty

Midlife crisis alert!

I've always wanted a motorcycle.  Ever since I was a kid, I always thought they were awesome but it never occurred to me that I could own one.  I'm 36 now and my life (hopefully yours too) is in the right place both financially and responsibly wise.  So over the last few months I've started to consider my options.  

Anyone in here ride?  

I'm 6'4" a biscuit shy of 300 lbs.  I have googled bikes for big guys because my biggest fear is looking like a Shriner on a mini scooter.  The results vary a ton.  I don't really know anyone with a ton of experience riding so I'm turning to FF for some feedback and maybe to create a discussion out of it.  

Share best accessories, stories, best places to ride.  Etc.  Any help and positive discussion  is appreciated.  

I had a Suzuki when I lived in Venezuela to get around. Im your height and that 750 fit me for all I needed.

What Id recommend. Find something cheap in the 700-950 size range to learn on, get your license, see if this is what you want to pursue further with. Sell it after 4-8 months or so and get something along the lines of a 1100-1400 Goldwing. You have a long spine and weight. Take care of yourself and get a bike that floats over the road.

Best places to ride... Flat lands cant compete with nice winding roads through the mountains.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dome said:

My last boss was 6’ 5” 350lbs and rode a motorcycle.

he never didn’t look like a trained monkey on a minibike.

Good luck.

😂😂 Thank you, I think...

Being 6'4" and 270, my advice is to not even bother with anything under 750, and get a cruiser. Just be cautious of the power you're using when you get on a bike bur especially once you start getting higher than that. 

I started with a 550 Honda from the 70s and it was a blast but was really cramped for any 30+ minute rides. Got to ride my buddy's Sportster (883) and it was a totally different ride, way more comfortable and fit better - plus my first Harley I ever got to ride. Lol. Sold my old junker for a Honda shadow 1100 and loved it. Fit great, was in my budget, and while it didn't sound like the Sportster it still had a good sound. Took a VTX 1800 for a spin and it had WAY more power than I expected, it was a completely different beast. It whipped me a bit when I gave it too much from a stop, nearly dumped me. It was embarrassing to so in front of some friends from work but a little whiplash made sure I never got too cocky about a bike again.  

Sold the bikes years ago when I was hard up for cash. I'm sure if I don't go for a Fat Boy I'll go back to the VTX 1800 and start upgrading it over time. They're great motors and all the power you could want, but there's quite a bit of plastic like the front fender and such. 

Might try my hand at fabricating/rigging my own Honda-Davidson. Lol

Really though 300 isn't massive, so these cruisers will hold you fine. Just make sure you're comfortable on it and don't worry about names. You're just getting started and might not even stay in the hobby long, so I wouldn't even look at anything near the $10,000 mark. 

Being that big, you'll probably look a little goofy on anything that isn't a cruiser/harley/adventure bike, but if you've never ridden before, I'd look for something like a used Yamaha MT-07 that's easy to ride/pass riding test on, then get the bike you really want for your 2nd bike, after you're confident you won't lay it down, and you know what kind of riding you enjoy most (cruising/touring/offroad/canyon carving).

Im currently looking for bike #2 myself. Thinking Aprilia Tuono 660, but I also kinda want to start trail riding. 

Edited by Jeezla

On 6/4/2021 at 11:27 AM, Blackstar12 said:

This thread title is so vague was expecting a lot of options lol.

I thought it was a reference to TLC's No Scrubs. Very disappointed that this isn't a support thread for guys that hangout in the passenger side of their bestfriend's ride. 

• Like 1

You're in a predicament because of your size and inexperience. You need a bigger bike, but your experience makes it sketchy. If I were you, I'd look for a motorcycle basic safety course near you. Once you take that class you wont need to pass the riding test to get your license, then you can just buy the bike that fits you and practice on it slowly before taking it out on full rides.

I started out on dirtbikes, but my first street motorcycle was a Yamaha Bolt back in 2013. Great beginner bike, IMO and you wont look exceptionally goofy on it at your size. I'm not nearly your size, but I know for a fact if you sat on an MT-07 it would be comical, don't do that lol.

• 4 weeks later...