The Pass "Rush" After 7 Games

TheOnlyThing

The Packers now have 12 sacks.

(Perry 3.5, Clay 2.5, J. Jones 2, Daniels 1.5, Martinez 1, Brooks 1, & J. Thomas .5). Four the the sacks came in the opening game against Seattle. 

They are on pace for 27 on the season. The Packers had 40 last season. 

Going to be difficult for the D to improve much without more out of the pass rush.

What are the chances the pass rush picks up as the season moves along?

17 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

The Packers now have 12 sacks.

(Perry 3.5, Clay 2.5, J. Jones 2, Daniels 1.5, Martinez 1, Brooks 1, & J. Thomas .5). Four the the sacks came in the opening game against Seattle. 

They are on pace for 27 on the season. The Packers had 40 last season. 

Going to be difficult for the D to improve much without more out of the pass rush.

Not much. Perry is our best rusher by far.

Matthews is overrated and overpaid.

Daniels gets a pass rush once every 3-4 games then disappears.

Clark, Lowry and the rest of the DTs won't have more than 1 sack all year if that. They offer nothing in that department.

Brooks is always hurt after never missing a game in SF.

Fackrell would be out of football if not on the 53 right now.

It will help getting Perry and Daniels healthy (er) after the bye. Not sure if they'll be 100% or not. Maybe replacing Fack-Attack with Biegel will give an additional pressure or 2 a game as well. 

Maybe Dom gets some new packages in as well to scheme up additional pressure if our boundary corners are healthy too. He will feel more freedom to do so and that could be the biggest boost of anything.

42 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Assuming the Packers gain anything resembling health?  Pretty good.  It's clear that Mike Daniels isn't his usual self, and even Nick Perry with his one hand isn't getting the job done.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Assuming the Packers gain anything resembling health?  Pretty good.  It's clear that Mike Daniels isn't his usual self, and even Nick Perry with his one hand isn't getting the job done.

If Biegel comes in and adds something, Daniels gets back to his usual self, and Perry gets his hand back, will that be enough to make the rush something to fear again?

I really don't know.

I also hesitate to note that Clay has been quite healthy so far, so it is possible the health of the pass rushers could also go south as well.

ANyone see how big the cast Perry had today?   From what I thought I saw, it was pretty minimal.  

Hopefully that is a good sign of his potential health after the bye.

Really hoping M Adams gets some playing time to see what he may offer from the interior pass rush, and spell Daniels/Clark

30 minutes ago, squire12 said:

ANyone see how big the cast Perry had today?   From what I thought I saw, it was pretty minimal.  

Hopefully that is a good sign of his potential health after the bye.

Really hoping M Adams gets some playing time to see what he may offer from the interior pass rush, and spell Daniels/Clark

yes Adams too, would be nice to see if he can get some snaps.

3 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Even just getting Ahmad Brooks back should help a little.

It is clear however that we need another EDGE. We definitely need better pass rush to succeed. 

i'm forgetting everyone.

This is a much different pass rush with a healthy Perry, Daniels, Brooks and maybe additions of Biegel and Adams for spelling some snaps.

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

If Biegel comes in and adds something, Daniels gets back to his usual self, and Perry gets his hand back, will that be enough to make the rush something to fear again?

I really don't know.

I also hesitate to note that Clay has been quite healthy so far, so it is possible the health of the pass rushers could also go south as well.

So...we go from having the 6th most sacks a year ago to having the 28th most, why do you think that happened?  What major FA did we lose?

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

So...we go from having the 6th most sacks a year ago to having the 28th most, why do you think that happened?  What major FA did we lose?

I think the OLB depth/rotation was both deep and effective last season. This year, not so much. Maybe if/when Brooks recovers and if Biegel gets a chance it could improve. I have no idea about Odom.

As for FAs, I believe Carolina signed an OLBer this offseason and he has 6.5 sacks so far. Dumerville has 3.5 with a bad Niners team and Barwin has 3 in LA. Don't know about any others.

But I guess signing another veteran would have meant taking away playing time/developmental opportunities from last year's 3rd round pick Kyler Fackrell.

He has been getting quite a bit of playing time in 2017, when do you expect him to pop?

No help is coming.  It's a broken season for us.  Every area of our defense except for the defensive line needs an adjustment, and pass rush needs it the most.  Perry is definitely a good, even great #2 option, but I don't think he's a true #1 option, and Matthews is a good #3 option or interior linebacker, but he really isn't a #1 option anymore, and probably not a #2 either. 

18 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

But I guess signing another veteran would have meant taking away playing time/developmental opportunities from last year's 3rd round pick Kyler Fackrell.

He has been getting quite a bit of playing time in 2017, when do you expect him to pop?

First off, what do you think is forcing Kyler Fackrell to the play the number of defensive snaps?  Do you truly believe that the coaching staff feels that Fackrell is this budding star, or is the more obvious elephant in the room (the Ahmad Brooks and Nick Perry injuries) to blame?  I'd hope you know the answer to that one, but in case you don't I'll elaborate.  There's been 3 games where Brooks has been "healthy" (Cincinnati, Chicago, and Dallas).  The percentage of defensive snaps he took are as follows.  The second number is the number of defensive snaps Kyler Fackrell took in those same games.

Cincinnati: 52.5% / 67.2%
Chicago: 54.4% / 35.3%
Dallas: 31.1% / 35.3%

At first glance, that snap count seems really high for Fackrell in that Cincinnati game and you'd be right.  Now you're probably asking why?  What was Nick Perry's availability in that game?  He didn't play.  That means injuries are forcing Fackrell into a bigger role, something the Packers probably don't want to be doing.  You want to know why our pass rush hasn't been as good, and I told you why.  Injuries.  You've got Clay playing almost 83% of the defensive snaps this year, compared to just 47% last year.  Ahmad Brooks has been unavailable sans the Cincinnati and Chicago games.  And Nick Perry was out against Cincinnati and limited against Chicago.  Get a healthy OLB group, and the production goes up.  In the one game where everyone has been "healthy", you saw the percentage of snaps divided like this:

Matthews: 66.2%
Perry: 48.5%
Brooks: 54.4%
Fackrell: 35.3%

That's probably close to what the coaching staff wants, maybe a bit higher on Nick Perry which probably means Fackrell gets more snaps taken away.

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

First off, what do you think is forcing Kyler Fackrell to the play the number of defensive snaps?  Do you truly believe that the coaching staff feels that Fackrell is this budding star, or is the more obvious elephant in the room (the Ahmad Brooks and Nick Perry injuries) to blame?

So, the Brooks injuries are a bit out of character based on his history, but did you really think that both Clay & Nick would go through the season injury-free? And if so, based on what magic pixie dust?

Because I was on record last Spring about the position being paper thin and given the above-referenced and well-documented injury histories of the starters questioned the wisdom of relying upon (then) two completely untested players who would necessarily have to play and contribute, Fackrell and Elliott.

Now, the answer to your question about why Fackrell is playing so many snaps is that (1) GB has regularly rotated 3-4 OLBers the past few years, (2) Ted Thompson determined Fackrell was worthy of a 3rd round pick in the 2016 draft, (3) Ted Thompson is, or at least has been, devoted to getting his picks (especially his more premium picks) playing time, (4) Fackrell was projected to be the 3rd OLBer until just before the season began when Brooks was signed and he became the 4th OLBer, and (5) with injuries to Brooks & Perry and Clay not really able to go full-time any more the 4th OLBer/Fackrell was of course the next man up.

Now, a couple of questions I'm sure you'll provide answers to, do you think Kyler was the best option available as the 3rd/4th OLBer this offseason and do you think his play has warranted TT's faith in him?

Archived