The Pass "Rush" After 7 Games

TheOnlyThing

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Backwards philosophy in GB these days ... they keep spending high draft picks on the secondary when they should be spending high picks on pass rushers.  Having little to no pass rush can make any secondary look ridiculous.  Thompson hasn't drafted an elite pass rusher in years.  He has't drafted an above average pass rusher in years.  

I agree, but how many good pass rushers were still around when we have been picking the past couple of years?  Don't most of the good ones go early?  

25 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I agree, but how many good pass rushers were still around when we have been picking the past couple of years?  Don't most of the good ones go early?  

I've been advocating for us to trade up in drafts to land an elite pass rusher.  It doesn't make sense for us to have tons of draft picks when we end up cutting them at the end of training camp.  Use a few picks here and there to get in position to draft some impact rushers.  Quickest way to turn that defense around is to put heat on the opposing qb.

41 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Are you trolling here Pugger?

I really, really don't want to go back to the TJ Watt v. Kevin King debate (in part because it has been beaten to death and in part because the Pack needed a CB as much as they needed an OLBer so ...), but the Packers chose not to select Watt just a few months ago.

Watt was then immediately snatched up by the Steelers. He now has 4 sacks (and a pick). Perry leads the Pack with 3.5 sacks.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

One of them is probably going to win the Defensive Rookie of the Year award. Just sayin...

5 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

We knew OLB was one of the weakest groups on the team heading into the season so this wasn't a surprise. GB still desperately needs to add OLB and CB help again in the draft

We knew OLB was one of the weakest groups on the team heading into the season so this wasn't a surprise. GB still desperately needs to add OLB and CB help again in the draft and free agency. 

I fixed.

3 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Are you trolling here Pugger?

I really, really don't want to go back to the TJ Watt v. Kevin King debate (in part because it has been beaten to death and in part because the Pack needed a CB as much as they needed an OLBer so ...), but the Packers chose not to select Watt just a few months ago.

Watt was then immediately snatched up by the Steelers. He now has 4 sacks (and a pick). Perry leads the Pack with 3.5 sacks.

No, I was truly wondering.  I don't pay as much attention to the draft as some others do.  Perhaps Ted put too many eggs in one basket by drafting 2 DBs one and two and bypass addressing the pass rush?

we don't need a CB desperately if we re-sign house.  King-House-Randall are a fine 1-2-3.

We need an edge to pair with Perry that flexes Matthews into a different role.  We also need a situational sub rusher to replace Kyler Fackrell/Ahmad Brooks for the longer term.  That could be Biegel, but we've yet to see this team develop a mid-round pick into an effective OLB.  Most end up at ILB and then off the team.

I don't blame him (TT) for not taking Watt.  I like King a lot.  As another has posted, I was livid in the last game that we ran a scheme that had our 6'3''' corner with long arms and athletic ability playing 8 yards off of the LOS totally negating the advantage he had.  I mean livid.  Had we taken Watt, I have no faith that we would use him correctly...if at all.

As far as rushers go...I look more at the guys taken in later rounds.  Danielle Hunter comes to mind as a pick outside of round one that I really wanted.  Hated that he went to the Vikings.

And if I"m being fair? The other recent one I wanted was Biegle.  Thought he could be very similar to Watt, but you could get him later, so I"ll wait and see how that one turns out.

What are the other rusher who are good that were taken outside of round one?  I know there are more...I think that Saints took one who had a weird last name (Samoan maybe) and an injury history...he got a couple quick sacks and then blew a knee or something. 

30 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't blame him (TT) for not taking Watt.  I like King a lot.  As another has posted, I was livid in the last game that we ran a scheme that had our 6'3''' corner with long arms and athletic ability playing 8 yards off of the LOS totally negating the advantage he had.  I mean livid.  Had we taken Watt, I have no faith that we would use him correctly...if at all.

As far as rushers go...I look more at the guys taken in later rounds.  Danielle Hunter comes to mind as a pick outside of round one that I really wanted.  Hated that he went to the Vikings.

And if I"m being fair? The other recent one I wanted was Biegle.  Thought he could be very similar to Watt, but you could get him later, so I"ll wait and see how that one turns out.

What are the other rusher who are good that were taken outside of round one?  I know there are more...I think that Saints took one who had a weird last name (Samoan maybe) and an injury history...he got a couple quick sacks and then blew a knee or something. 

Kikaha (sp?) I think. I liked him too.

11 minutes ago, SassyFascistAlphaGuy said:

Perry is the only guy on this team I can count on every week to get after the QB. If you pass the ball 10 times, I'd bet my money on Perry getting there at least 1/10 tries. Sadly, I don't think I can say that for anyone else on GB right now. 

Now that Jason Spriggs is on IR, I agree.

6 hours ago, SassyFascistAlphaGuy said:

The implication is that Jason is put on skates and pushed back into his own QB at least 1/10 snaps because he's so bad at football xD

OIC   xD

I don't think he's gonna be bad going forward.  He looked good at times as a rookie and I wonder if he wasn't thinking too much this past summer.  We'll know for sure next year.

20 hours ago, Pugger said:

Is Capers chaging blitz packages up. Has HHCD even blitzed this year. Has Clay done anything except bull rush from 1 spot. Does Capers even give a crap anymore. Hard to tell isn't it. Note to Dom - you did great in 2010 but you cannot live on that success anymore. Time to utilize your personnel better or move on, simple as that. 

Archived