The Pass "Rush" After 7 Games

TheOnlyThing

" was livid in the last game that we ran a scheme that had our 6'3''' corner with long arms and athletic ability playing 8 yards off of the LOS totally negating the advantage he had.  "

You don't think Capers knows what he is doing, but you also don't think Whitt and Moss (who has input) know what they're doing?  You've been at the practices where this rookie has proven he is ready to imitate Sherman or Norman on every play?  He is talented, but he is still raw.  Might that have something to do with it?  Maybe, just maybe, these coaches never thought of your proposal.  You'd better email them and quick!

10 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Well what the hell, Jayrone is only 2weeks older than Yackrell and a helluva lot better if you ask me. Make the move, Ted. 

If Jayrone isn't on somebody's roster right now do we really want him?

On 10/24/2017 at 10:29 AM, 15412 said:

" was livid in the last game that we ran a scheme that had our 6'3''' corner with long arms and athletic ability playing 8 yards off of the LOS totally negating the advantage he had.  "

You don't think Capers knows what he is doing, but you also don't think Whitt and Moss (who has input) know what they're doing?  You've been at the practices where this rookie has proven he is ready to imitate Sherman or Norman on every play?  He is talented, but he is still raw.  Might that have something to do with it?  Maybe, just maybe, these coaches never thought of your proposal.  You'd better email them and quick!

According to the numbers he’s also our quickest CB so what exactly are his “advantages”?

On 10/23/2017 at 8:54 AM, TheOnlyThing said:

Yeah, you're reading it wrong as I wanted a veteran or veterans brought in to compete for the 3rd OLB position once the team decided to move on from Peppers & D. Jones. Also, there are no "fourth string" OLBs on the Packers. 

What do you think the Ahmad Brooks signing is?  It's really not a complicated thought process.  The Packers thought that Kyler Fackrell was going to take that next step going from Year 1 to Year 2.  He didn't.  And the Packers responded by signing Ahmad Brooks.  Your entire argument has no backing without using the power of hindsight.  Are you telling me that you knew from the 130 defensive snaps (15.55% of all defensive snaps) he took last year, you knew that he wouldn't develop at all?  Please don't insult my intelligence and say you did without posting any sort of evidence.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:10 AM, vegas492 said:

That tells me that maybe it is scheme based...the lack of sacks...and that may have a lot to do with the health of the team.

Has scheme really changed much from year-to-year?  They make some alterations, but I wouldn't say they make any real changes.  LIS, injuries are where a large part of the blame lies.  Brooks has been out for the last few games, Perry is playing with one good hand, and you've got Clay Matthews playing 80%+ of the defensive snaps.  He's pushing Von Miller-level in terms of number of defensive snaps.  I'll go ahead and tell you this now, but you really don't want that number that high.

On 10/23/2017 at 12:18 PM, TheOnlyThing said:

You think it was wise to count on Fackrell & Elliott as OLBs 3 & 4 up until just a couple of days before the season opener? 

If you knew Fackrell was going to flop?  Obviously not.  But the Packers got an extended look at Fackrell in preseason, realized that he wasn't going to cut it, and fortunately the 49ers released Brooks.  But the pass rush group as a whole in that preseason until the start of the regular season isn't exactly flush with talent.  If the "best" name you've come up with is Elvis Dumervil, I'm not sure your argument has much weight.

On 10/23/2017 at 1:24 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

I've been advocating for us to trade up in drafts to land an elite pass rusher.  It doesn't make sense for us to have tons of draft picks when we end up cutting them at the end of training camp.  Use a few picks here and there to get in position to draft some impact rushers.  Quickest way to turn that defense around is to put heat on the opposing qb.

Trading up is such a risky adventure.  IF you trade up, it's a HUGE risk.  And let's also note that to make a meaningful move up, it's expensive.  We're talking about multiple mid-round pick on top of our 2nd round pick.  Are you willing to risk three picks in order to get one?  It goes back to your evaluation, but given what people think about Ted Thompson lately it's a risk.

On 10/23/2017 at 1:44 PM, TheOnlyThing said:

Are you trolling here Pugger?

I really, really don't want to go back to the TJ Watt v. Kevin King debate (in part because it has been beaten to death and in part because the Pack needed a CB as much as they needed an OLBer so ...), but the Packers chose not to select Watt just a few months ago.

Watt was then immediately snatched up by the Steelers. He now has 4 sacks (and a pick). Perry leads the Pack with 3.5 sacks.

And there goes your selective reading again.  How many people were adamantly against Watt?  Honestly, I think I lost count and most of those players were posters I don't think honestly even evaluated him.  In fact, I think I was one of the few people who was firmly in his camp and was semi-surprised the Packers passed on him.  There was a HUGE contingent of Packers fans that wanted nothing to do with T.J. Watt.

On 10/23/2017 at 7:34 PM, vegas492 said:

I don't blame him (TT) for not taking Watt.  I like King a lot.  As another has posted, I was livid in the last game that we ran a scheme that had our 6'3''' corner with long arms and athletic ability playing 8 yards off of the LOS totally negating the advantage he had.  I mean livid.  Had we taken Watt, I have no faith that we would use him correctly...if at all.

As far as rushers go...I look more at the guys taken in later rounds.  Danielle Hunter comes to mind as a pick outside of round one that I really wanted.  Hated that he went to the Vikings.

And if I"m being fair? The other recent one I wanted was Biegle.  Thought he could be very similar to Watt, but you could get him later, so I"ll wait and see how that one turns out.

What are the other rusher who are good that were taken outside of round one?  I know there are more...I think that Saints took one who had a weird last name (Samoan maybe) and an injury history...he got a couple quick sacks and then blew a knee or something. 

You draft pass rushers early and often, because quality ones don't usually fall down the draft board.

Archived