OTA/Minicamp Stories and Such

51 minutes ago, August4th said:

I really hope McFarland figures it out.. seeing his speed in some of those drills.. I really hope he becomes RB2 behind Harris, keep snell/samuals off the field as much as possible

I'm with you on that. McFarland would have broken a couple big ones last year, but he couldn't keep his feet and body moving together. I think things will slow down for him. He's definitely a home run hitter. Give him a series or two a game and he'll break multiple 20 yard carries I'd imagine. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'll kick it off

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/05/adrian-klemm-emphasizing-three-point-stances-for-offensive-line/ 

I know some guys on here are going to need a breather after reading this. I can't lie, I'm a little excited to see the line next year. 

I liked that Dotson said the tone had changed. More intense. Said Klemm isn't saying block someone, he's saying "run through their face".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mwalker said:

I liked that Dotson said the tone had changed. More intense. Said Klemm isn't saying block someone, he's saying "run through their face".

I don't know. It's what fans like to hear, but the mindset in place before Klemm was the one put in place by Munchack who emphasizes technique and getting the job done over style points. He's probably one of if not the best OL coaches in the league.

With Ben near the end of the road, I'm on board with rebuilding the ground game. I'm in favor of going back to three point stances if that helps. But there's a lot of raw talent on that OL that needs actual coaching. So we'll see if Klemm is the guy to do that.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

IIRC, by PFFs own numbers, only 3 QBs threw more 20+ yard passes than Big Ben did last year...he was inaccurate as hell but my point still stands...clowns.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 2:35 PM, August4th said:

I really hope McFarland figures it out.. seeing his speed in some of those drills.. I really hope he becomes RB2 behind Harris, keep snell/samuals off the field as much as possible

Agreed! He’s running behind Najee and ahead of Snell in RB drills so I’m sure that means something. I think they want McFarland to be the clear #2.

Ive seen some “rumors” of the Steelers being interested in Malik Hooker and that they might bring him in for a visit soon. Not the position I expected but love the player. Hopefully he could stay healthy in a part time role. They did bring Karl Joseph in for a visit.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Agreed! He’s running behind Najee and ahead of Snell in RB drills so I’m sure that means something. I think they want McFarland to be the clear #2.

Ive seen some “rumors” of the Steelers being interested in Malik Hooker and that they might bring him in for a visit soon. Not the position I expected but love the player. Hopefully he could stay healthy in a part time role. They did bring Karl Joseph in for a visit.

Hooker as a 3rd safety is brilliant.  Fitzpatrick is very versatile, so they might be looking at Hooker playing high safety in Big Nickel and drop Minkah into the box to play that Hilton role of blitzer/zone/man slot.  I'd be 100% here for that, and I think that's what he was hoping for a little more last year.

BTW a slight aside, I remember Miami fans giving us so much crap about how he was going to cry about coaching and demand to do certain things and he's been nothing but a model citizen since coming here, and kinda like TJ for a year or two just making his case to want to do more to have a bigger impact on the defense.  He's just asking to be moved some so he can be more involved (which I agree with).  He's been such a great addition to the team and all those fans that said that can suck it.

• Like 5

that was right around the time Ben messed up his knee or ankle against Miami doing a PA/rollout pass that caused him to miss a few weeks. I think that injury(and maybe others) has something to do with this drastic sway away from PA. Wasn't Ben like top 3 in PA during his youth? I think he had stats as like highest QB rating when doing PA

Edited by August4th

On 5/27/2021 at 7:39 AM, warfelg said:

For as much flack as Ive given Ben and still do believe he should have retired....Im seriously hoping I have to eat crow, if only because the hate Ben is now getting is just over the top.

My assessments of Ben, however harsh they have been, have never been from a place of disdain towards him, but rather the reality of where his career is at 39 years old.    

But it seems as if I see alot more people taking shots at him, acting as if any random backup could replace him.

The one guy claimed he was EASILY the worst QB in the AFC North.    Moron was obviously a troll, but 1) Lamar is overall better, but has yet to really show up when it matters, 2) Mayfield has shown little consistency year to year, so lets see what Baker shows up in 2021 before we put him too high and 3) as much as I like Burrow, he had alot of growing to do even before he got hurt, suffered a very serious injury his rookie season, and might be playing behind one of the worst OLines in the league.....so I wouldnt put my eggs in that basket yet, either.

Even with all my rants about Ben coming back and how washed up he looked in 2021, I still acknowledged that the entire offense around him was abysmal and that a 38 year old guy coming off of major elbow surgery never shouldve been asked to throw the ball 600 times.

Bottom line....I will gladly eat my crow about Ben if it means shutting the haters up.    I know he isnt capable of being the Ben of ole....but I think there is a chance he can still be a quality game manager and field general with the right support.      Backyard Ben is done...but with a running game and defense, I think he could potentially still be a winning QB.    I just dont trust the running game and/or defense will be where they need to be for that to happen.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, August4th said:

that was right around the time Ben messed up his knee or ankle against Miami doing a PA/rollout pass that caused him to miss a few weeks. I think that injury(and maybe others) has something to do with this drastic sway away from PA. Wasn't Ben like top 3 in PA during his youth? I think he had stats as like highest QB rating when doing PA

I could be wrong, but I think PFF only looked back to 2016. Just off my own memory, the lack of play-action and lack of success when they do use it goes back to the start of the Haley regime.